“Very convenient location”

Ranked #115 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very convenient location”
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My spouse and I stayed at Merlyn Court Hotel Nov. 9-15. We had a double room without bath located on the 2nd floor. The room was very spacious and was furnished with 2 beds, chest of drawers, wardrobe, sofa, and sink. The mattresses were firm but comfortable. The shared bathroom with shower was very small, but it worked. Be sure to bring your own bar of soap and shampoo. A bar of soap was provided in our room but it was very small. There was a bottle of shampoo in the shared bath, but we weren't sure if someone left it there or if it had been provided by the hotel. The breakfast, as others have commented, was minimal--tea or coffee (instant), toast and marmalade. It would have been nice if it had been a bit more substantial. However, we only ate the hotel one morning. The other mornings, we ate at one of the restaurants/cafes located nearby. The location, although very quiet, was extremely convenient. We were very close to the Earl's Court tube station as well as numerous good restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Indian, etc.), pubs (e.g., Court Field, Black Bird), laundromats, a post office, and convenience stores that sold fruit, sandwiches, etc. Merlyn Court Hotel offers great value, and we thoroughly enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrankieTheLion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The Merlyn Court is located in a highly touristy area, I had stay there for roughly 4 nights. I have mixed feelings about this place. You definitely get what you paid for, it is budget hotel that offers breakfast and staff members that are very helpful. The rooms are bare but that is to be expected. however, I was not expecting my room to be facing the busy street and directly across is the youth hostel. There is nothing they can do about the noise. but the bed I have was so uncomfortable. It felt like box springs! I truly like the location and convenience here but I cannot recommend this place other than people who are on a really tight budget.

Room Tip: ask for a room that do not face the street...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sakura2M
Northern Va
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Again yes this is a budget hotel and she has cut back on the breakfast with out raising the prices. Breakfast is just coffee and toast. But there are lots of places in the area to have another coffee and croisannt. There is a Starbucks and my favorite Costa Coffee right on Earls Court rd. My favorite Italian Restaurant Dino's closed but there are a number of Pubs in the area. The Merlyn Court is in a quiet location and I wouldnt stay anywhere else. If Lucy or Fred arent there. Adrianna or the other front desk girls wil take care of you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nevilledog
Davis, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The Merlyn Court is the B&B type of hotel located in the amazing area – Kensington, only few minutes walking distance from Earls Ct tube station. We stayed in a family bedroom on the 3rd floor, with one double bed and two twins. Twin bed is a bit of small for adult. The room was clean and facing the backyard so it was quite at night. There is ensuite small bathroom with a toilet, sink and a standing shower cabinet; however, there is not much space to put down the toiletries and hanging the towels. No TV and no clock in the room. Internet access was not available in this hotel. Besides the basement, there are total 4 levels in the hotel but there is no lift. Breakfast is served in the basement and it is very simple: many pieces of triangle shaped toasts, jam and butter, plus coffee or tea and milk. Nothing fancy.

The surrounding of the hotel is very nice with many residential houses and many coffee shops, restaurants, M&S Simply Food store, a Tesco, MacDonald, Burger King and ATMs are just a block away. In addition, there is bus station in front of Earls Ct tube station. There are also many hotels nearby for competition.

For us, after whole day’s activities outside with kids, this was a nice place to come back to sleep in the evenings.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 5, 2011

There is much to like about the neighborhood of Earls Court: central, convenient, pleasant mix of shops and residential rows, lots of ATMs. There were some things to like about the accommodation: helpful and courteous staff, interesting older building with high ceilings and nice decorations, clean, good showers. However, we would not stay there again. The beds were hard, the pillows so-so, and the noise from the street quite loud both in the middle of the night and in the early morning (a room away from the street would be better). We knew that the breakfast was minimal, but it was so minimal that after the first morning we skipped it entirely and found a wonderful local breakfast place instead about 3 blocks away (Bench'O). Surely it wouldn't cost much to add some cold cereals to this hotel's spartan offering of toast, jam and butter packets, and coffee. We expected that there would be no internet access and no TV, but having those would have compensated a bit for the issues above.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank EBerryW
Egersund, Norway
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We had a great stay last weekend in October. It was easy to find.
This is hotel with no fuzzy frills, it not Hilton –but the beds is OK, it is clean and no noise at night.

The manager and staff give you the best service. Always smiling!
Ask for Lilly (she is the secret of the hotel). Our youngest daughter loved to cuddle and play with this little girl…… :o)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Tengs
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2010

The attitude of the people working here was appalling, I guess some other people had better experiences. Maybe they changed owners? Anyway, my jacket was stolen one evening off the back of my chair in a bar along with the hotel key in the pocket and all the money I had that night. When I finally made it back to the hotel I had to sit ring the bell for a long time to get anyone to answer the door. When she did come to the door I explained what had happened and she treated me like a 13 who just missed her curfew and told me I was lucky anyone answered the door. Then the next day they charged me 50 pounds ( $85) for the stolen key! I just found that awful after the terrible night I had. After I complained about this they did not clean my room, not even empty my garbage! And they would not let me cancel the rest of my reservation to move to a new hotel because they said they would charge me. What kind of hell-hole is this anyway? There are lots of similar hotels in that area, I would stay at one of those if I were you to avoid being ripped off at every turn. Oh and don't even try to drink the coffee here, but maybe the woman was just trying to poison me : ) And they wont let you use the internet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo