“Little Gem”

Ranked #820 of 1,063 Hotels in London
wales
“Little Gem”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Booked this hotel as it was close to Paddington station, it was a good price. Not over impressed by Best Western, but have to say this was ok.We had a long weekend & saw a show so wanted something close to a tube station.The check in was ok not the friendliest person I have met. Room was a lot smaller than I had expected, there was just enough space to walk around the bed & the bathroom was small, but it was warm, welcoming, cozy & clean. It had everything we needed.tea, coffee, tv etc.Breakfast was in a small underground room, it was clean & there was a good selection, we took fruit for our onward journey.Our waitress was very friendly & happy to help. If you are on a budget, but are looking for a clean hotel with a good breakfast then this will suit you

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night on my way back home and the best thing I can say about the experience was that it only lasted for one night. The location was good... just a few blocks and very short walk to Paddington Station, which is why I picked this hotel.

I didn't expect to have a spacious room but the single room I was assigned was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. I used to think that the rooms at the Hudson Hotel in NY were the smallest ever but we have a new winner. There was just enough floor space for my carry on luggage. I assume that their double rooms will be a bit more spacious but single travelers beware!

The TV did not work and ventilation was not great. I would have given it one star but added an extra star because the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. :) The hotel does not have an elevator so I was glad I had a ground floor room and minimal luggage.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

romford
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great room, cosy but had everything you could want... Clean, plenty of little extras, tea and coffee making facilities, biscuits and even a microwave and fridge.. The en-suite was great the shower is superb! all toiletries supplied!! The staff were really friendly and professional and the breakfast was fab!! So much choice, either continental, cereals, full english (which was very tasty, warm and freshly made!) As much tea and coffee and a full range of juices. I would recommend this hotel without a doubt, we stayed in 523...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hastings
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We would like to make you aware of the problem we had when we tried to stay at our secret hotel at the end of March.

when we arrived, after going to a show, at 10.30pm the reception took at least fifteen minutes to sort our reservation. When we went to our room we found not the superior double as booked, but a single, yes a single bed and in the basement in what looked like the inner working of the hotel with bags of laundry and rubbish dotted around the corridor.... we returned to the reception to be told that was the only room available, when it was pointed out that we had booked and paid for the room we were told we should have booked in earlier to get a room! I After much waiting he finally found us a room up the road at the sister hotel. Whilst walking with up the road and once we were in the hotel, he totally ignored us.The staff at the new hotel weren't much better, handing us the keys and saying nothing other than the floor of the room. As for the room it wasn't what I'd term a superior room, it was small with damp around the window and a generator going all night. At least they gave us breakfast which was very good indeed. Won't be going back any day soon though.

Room Tip: Check in before going to a west end show, maybe call ahead to check in. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kinghorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We booked this hotel through Lastminute.com and it was one of their Top Secret hotels. Once we'd booked it, we found out what hotel it was. The website pictures don't really do it justice and we thought we'd done okay for the price. I phoned the hotel to ask if they could give us as nice a room as possible as the trip was for my husbands 40th and they did just that! When we arrived we were taken along the street to another hotel (still part of the group) which was their Elite Collection. We were given a Club Room (which I think is a lot roomier than most, with nice touches) and breakast was added for our stay. Couldn't have asked for more really! The staff were lovely, breakfast was nice and the hotel is within walking distance of Paddington station and 5 mins walk from Kensington Gardens. Considering the three night stay only cost £40 more than one of the Travelodges was charging, I'd say we did really well. We'd use this hotel again if we were in London - if the price was right. The only downside was there was very little storage space. The original hotel we'd booked looked very nice too. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel on the 4th floor and there were no problems with noise and th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

No elevator to go up 4 flights of stairs with luggage. No lighting in rooms or halls. Breakfast very overpriced.

• Stayed March 2012
Udine, Italy
Reviewed January 2, 2012

receptionists are too confused, we discussed 3 times about the rates! we reserved on the internet but it was not prepaid. when we arrived we discovered they accepted only a very limited nr of credit cards (i.e. no electronic cards) so 2 of us had to withdraw cash on the following day to settle the bill. back to the hotel, the receptionist said the total was lower due to some deposit he had to give us back. we asked several times if he was sure about this and in the end he was almost annoyed by our insistence. when we left, 2 days later, they said the bill was not fully settled and wanted us to pay back the value of the "deposit"!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends