“Novotel London Excel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Makati, Philippines
“Novotel London Excel”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location of the hotel, while quite far from the city center, was readily accessible through the Docklands Light Railway, which connects to the London Overground through Tower Hill. If you just have a manageable amount of luggage, taking the Overground and DLR is the most cost efficient way of getting to the hotel from the airports. Otherwise, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for airport transfers. As the hotel is near the River Thames and London City Airport and is in a quite open area, it was also quite windy, which brought down the temperature substantially. Plan to pack warm wear if you're going during the colder months of the year.

For our trip, we booked our inbound and outbound airport transfers through the hotel and I gave a very detailed account of the number of people and amount of luggage that we were bringing along, for which they quoted me an amount each way that we would pay directly to the driver. The inbound transfer had a vehicle a tad too small and we really had to squeeze in all the luggage, plus our son had to have a bag on his lap the whole way from Heathrow. For the outbound transfer, they sent a driver with a bigger vehicle, so it was more comfortable, but we were charged quite a bit more than what the hotel said it would be. Plus the driver initially thought that we were departing through Heathrow again, but I specifically mentioned that we were flying out of Gatwick, which was farther away. I can imagine if the adjustment was just for the bigger vehicle, but the hotel should have gotten all the details right in the first place to give me a better idea of what we would be spending on the transfers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and appreciate your detailed description of your stay.

I was happy to read you found our hotel to be nice in the beautiful and peaceful docklands area.
The hotel is only a few minutes’ walk from Custom House or Royal Victoria DLR stations and is ideally located for easy access to several transport links including the Jubilee Line (from Canning Town), the Central Line (from Stratford) and the Hammersmith & City Line and District Line (from West Ham).

I was dissapointed to read that the airport transfer organised by the hotel was not suitable for your needs. Please rest assured that I am investigating this matter further as it was clearly booked for 5 passengers. With regards to the rate, I have been informed that you was charged £90 for your Gatwick transfer (£85 was confirmed), so please accept my sincerest apologies for this. The taxi company had been given correct information about your inbound as well as outbound transfer and I am following up on this issue as there must have been some form of miscommunication on their behalf.

Once again, we are very sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

We do hope this will not prevent you from coming back to our property and therefore that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Novotel London ExCel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a great hotel if attending an event at Excel as it's right on the doorstep. The rooms are spacious and fitted out with all mod cons. The food in the bar and at breakfast was great. My only concern was the staff. I always leave my bags in the room in a certain way & take a picture of position and zips. They had been tampered with. I also accidentally left a lighter of sentimental value on the breakfast table, returned at the end of the working day to reclaim it to find it had vanished, the staff also accused other guests of taking it, but I doubt any guest would have sat at a dirty table for their breakfast! This ruined whole experience...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jen2862014
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, May 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.
I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the service shortcomings highlighted in your review.

I was concerned to hear that the housekeeping standards were not up to the expected level, as we consistently score high in this area on other reviews. I have spoken to our Housekeeping Manager and she reassured me that your bags might have been moved during cleaning, as we try to service all rooms to the highest standards. However, please accept our apologies for any discomfort or inconvenience caused.

On a positive note, it was great to read that you found our rooms spacious and you enjoyed great breakfast in the Upper Deck Restaurant overlooking the water.

United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Following my stay whilst exhibiting at grand designs live
I had two rooms booked and stayed for 11 nights
I didn't find the hotel to be a 4* standard and would struggle to genuinely class it as 3*
The cleanliness isnt great the rooms are very compact and you don't have a lot of space in a delux twin room for 2 when staying for a number of days, the toilet is tiny. The drains smell the changes of toiletries , milk, plastic glasses etc was not consistent and things were missed on a daily basis. The thermostatic valve for the shower wasn't working, bar area tables and seats left filthy , car park is quite compact and when I got home to top everything off I found my front bumper had been clipped by another vehicle in the hotel car park. :-(

• Stayed May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

I have forwarded all your comments to the respectable department managers and I can ensure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address your concerns.

With regards to the car park, please accept my sincerest apologies for any issues you experienced during your stay, however it is a public car park and we do not take any responsibility for any damages caused by other drivers.

I was truly sorry to read you would not stay again but remain at your service should you wish to give us another chance to better serve you in the future.

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before flying out of London City airport, check in was quick and efficient and the room was clean and modern but it just lacked that something to give it personality, the staff might know their jobs but seemed robotic, I ate in the bars area, the food was well presented but disappointing in taste and flavour.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Marky320
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, May 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.

I am very surprised to read your comments about our staff at the reception, as this is always being positively commented on. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate measure to address your concerns and prevent any re occurrence. We are training our staff daily on our service standards and behaviour and I will personally look into this matter.

I am sorry to read about your experience in the bar and I have forwarded your comments to our Food and Beverage department.

I can assure you that we will take your words on board and I have already passed the message to the relevant department in order to review the situation and take immediate action.

Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Your typical chain hotel where everything is as it should be and just what you'd expect. Bit on the expensive side but it is London I suppose. Should at least give you free parking. Good location for Excel and London City Airport though. Staff very efficient and friendly. Only ate breakfast here which was fine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us

I was very satisfied to read you found the location of the hotel suitable to your requirements as we are close to the ExCel centre and London City Airport.

It was nice to read you found the room and the breakfast to be good and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Yorks
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We (2 adults, 2 kids - 12 and 7) stayed here in May for one night (Sunday) before going to the Grand Designs exhibition at Excel on Bank Holiday Monday.

This hotel is right next door to Excel which makes it ideal I suppose for those attending exhibitions. The hotel is clean and smart and has an upmarket feel about it. Nice airy reception area with a good bar too.

Staff are really friendly. Rooms are well designed and small but fine for one night even for a family of 4.

Parking at £16 a night is expensive and the breakfast is on the pricey side too but is good quality.

Novotel chain is fast becoming our favourite over Premier Inn for family hotel stays.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank shareholdersmeeting

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to us.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit, as well as the service. It is always important to us to meet our guests expectations.

It is great to read that you found our hotel good for ExCeL; we are located approximately 300 meters away from the West entrance of the convention centre.

It is also nice that you liked the good size bedrooms and bathroom and you had all the amenities you would expect.

It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Hoping to see you back very soon, I remain at your service.

Fairland, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was decent for the price and had a decent fitness center but had an odor of septic in the room. We are unsure of the reason. I suppose it could be the location of next to the docks. The staff was very pleasant and helped if they could. We would probably stay here again if the convenience supported it. It is a small walk to the DLR but you can navigate the entire city from the public transport. The atmosphere was fairly quiet and peaceful after dark. I would rate it a little higher but they do not have a self serve laundry in site and that made the convenience a bit difficult
In that area.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
NovotelLondonExCeL, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Kelly B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. I was happy to read that you found our hotel good but was disappointed to see that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

Please accept my apologies for the smell in your room, I have already forwarded your comment to our maintenance department and they are investigating this issue further.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for your feedback and for the lovely words about our staff, which is definitely our key asset.

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the Novotel London ExCeL