“Novotel London Excel”

Ranked #280 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Novetel with my son and partner. I was hugely disappointed. They did not cater for three people, two cups, two glasses, two sets of towels, no shower caps, no dressing gowns or slippers. Considering they claim to be a 4* hotel it was very poor. Continental breakfast at £15.50 is a bit much, opposite the hotel wa a cafe offering full english at £4.95 hee hee! Single rooms at £300.00 is extortionate when the Ibis next door is offering rooms at £79.00. The accommodation was no better than a 2*, how they can justify these prices I don't know. The door keys were not activated and we were on the sixth floor and had to go back down to reception to sort it out. Very lax of the reception staff. I won't be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, General Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Millie F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are also very disappointed that your experience did not match your expectations. However, I do hope you reported the shortcomings and that they were dealt with by the team in an efficient and courteous manner, as they usually do.

For any person reading this review, we would like to clarify that are breakfast costs £15.95 for a full English (and Continental) buffet breakfast. Also, we do not have any single rooms at the hotel and do not sell double rooms at £300.

Once again, from the team and I, our genuine apologies.

There are newer reviews for Novotel London ExCeL

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is very nice. We stayed for my boyfriends birthday on sunday. When we arrived we were upgraded to the executive suite. Wow! It was lovely! It had its own coffee machine - a bit like the one we have at home but also having smart glass in the shower (turns opaque to clear at a click of a button) was a unique feature.
The bed was very comfy, the room also had a Bose soundsystem for iPhones (4 and 4s) compatibility. The room also provided robe and slippers. We had breakfast - book the day before and get a voucher, it's cheaper. Breakfast was very tasty and well cooked.
Travelling to London took 40 mins by tube from excell. You have to change lines 2 times.
Location of hotel was nice. It sits next to the docklands so is quite scenic and you can see the O2 and emirates cable cars from the restaurant. It's about 5 mins away from O2 via cable car and it takes about 5 mins to walk to cable car. You can pick up water taxi from O2 that will take you to central london if you want alternative transport other than tube.
My only advice, don't trust your sat nav!! We travelled up on Saturday afternoon to check in for 14.00 but due to my sat nav having a breakdown, we got there at 15.30! Just follow signs for excel.
Will definitely book this hotel again.
Thanks for a great weekend

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear reviewer,

It was a pleasure to read your great review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. Thank you very much for your nice words and your five-star rating! Your satisfaction is our best reward, I will be delighted to share your comments with our team.

We hope to welcome you back very soon to our hotel.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a birthday trip to London with my husband. The hotel itself was nice and the room was spacious, the bed was also very comfortable. The staff were helpful and friendly. The few negatives I had was firstly the parking charge which I thought was a bit steep at £15 per night so the total cost was £30 however it is London so to be expected really. The other thing was that on arrival in the room the bath didn't appear to have been cleaned very thoroughly but this was nothing serious as I managed to clean the bit of dust/hair away....certainly didn't warrant a complaint and it was freshly cleaned the following day. I would stay here again on a visit to London ...thanks Novotel for making my 30th birthday enjoyable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for telling us about your stay at Novotel London ExCeL.

We are always delighted to receive positive feedbacks from our guest, especially regarding our helpful and friendly staff. I was concerned to read that you did not receive the high standard of cleanliness we pride ourselves on delivering. Please be reassured that we take this matter seriously: I already passed on your comments to our Head Housekeeper.

On a positive note, I was thrilled to see that we contributed to an enjoyable 30th birthday and hope we will welcome you back to Novotel London ExCeL in a near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Very clean, modern place to stay if you are interested in ExCel.
I would also consider to stay pleasantly cheap in London. However you have to take into account a trip to the city. Nothing is terrible, but no so fast.
The hotel itself is good Novotel standard, clean, spacious rooms. Fantastic bedding.
Good breakfast. Flawless staff.
The gym is as usual slightly below expectation. But you know our expectations is our main enemy.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Alex V
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

I was thrilled to read your feedback following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience that you rated with 5 stars.

I was particularly glad that you found our staff flawless as we always try to provide the best service to our guests.

Since your visit in December 2012, we have ordered and received new equipment for our gym. It includes 2 treadmills, 1 exercise bike, 1 cross trainer and 1 rowing machine. I hope you will have the opportunity to try the new equipment on your next visit.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Let me just sat from the start that I do no have any special requirements when it comes to hotels, so this is from the perspective of someone who didn't actually make use of the hotel's accessability features. That said I was fortunate enough to have been put in a fully accessible room, and figured it may help others to know what's on offer; I can imagine that if you do have such travel requirements, you'd want impartial advice before booking.

As I say, I didn't actually make use of these features, but after I noticed them, I decided to write a review, so kept my eyes open regarding them. As you would expect, the reception, bar, restaurant and gym are fully accessable by wheelchair using the hotel's lift system. What is a nice touch is that it's not a case of there being a wheelchair ramp and a set of stairs; everyong uses the same lifts between one flat area and another, so you wont be broken up as a group.

The room itself was a connecting one, such that should a carer be traveling with you, they could occupy an ajacent room and enter if necesary. The room was a good size, with all features easily to hand for a wheelchair user. It would be possible to navigate a chair completely around the bed, desk and coffee table without too much effort, and there was an excess of additional space in the shower and toilet area to enable positioning of a chair.

The bathroom had all the rails/sets that may be expected, as well as an easy to open two way door into the shower area. Both sinks, towel rails and shower shelf were at a usable level, and as you would expect there was an alarm in both the toilet and shower area. The only slight flaw may be the bathroom door itself. It is a slide-folding design that provides a wide doorway when open, however, I found the door on the heavy side, and the force required to begin opening the door may not suit everyone.

Back in the room, most things are nice and easy to reach from the seated position; a low wardrobe handle and rail. the wardrobe shelf above the rail is around the 5' mark. The desk is wide and i could forsee no real issues manouvering a chair under it. The only fault here would be that the coffee table and two chairs in the room are actually very heavy (I would place the table at more than 20KG) and moving these out of the way may be a challenge.

Other features I noticed were sockets for vibrating pillows (available on request) and a red bulb for the hearing impaired in an emergency and A large key telephone.

In general the room was large, clean and modern. I spent a lot of time working in the room unfortunately, as this was the pupose of my stay, but it was a pleasent place to be (the air con is pretty good too). The only bug bear I really had was the lack of plug sockets; there are only two; on the desk, behind the TV. Even though power clearly runs around the bed for liighting and other hotel sockets, there are no guest outlets ffor the bedside tables, which would have been nice. My room also lacked a clock. It had one built into the TV but this was broken, telling you only the hour.

THe hotel staff were very helpful indeed. I initially had some issues with my door (my card needed re-coding) and they were very helpful. The local station was affected by engineering works during my stay and the staff were very helpful in advising me alternative routes into london.

Locationwise you are as close as it is possible to be to the excel (it's next door) a 5 minute walk from the DLR and one DLR stop from the jubilee line, which can get you to stratford westfields shopping center in 10 minutes, or central london in twenty. I of course checked; the DLR station is fully accessible, as is transitioning to the jubilee line at canning town, and to the shopping center at stratford.

It is docklands so a bit bare, but there are a handfull of restaurants, two mini-marts and a cafe within two minutes of the hotel. it is very easy to get to the O2 (formerly Millenium Dome) in half an hour using the cable car crossing, however bare in mind that if you are returning from an even later in the evening the cable card will have stopped, adding to the journey time.

Docklands looks a fully redeveloped these days, however bare in mind you are out in E16, so it's not exsactly central; there are advantages and disadvantages to this. Oh, and enjoy the Docklands breeze!

DEfinitely recommend, staff absolutely faultless - very imprssed with them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
OperationsManager_9, General Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time for such an extensive review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback - especially when it comes to the staff's quality of service.

We have noted the comments in regards of what could be improved in the room, and passed them on to the relevant people who could apply such changes. We have always supported and taken accessibility - and other DDA related matters - very seriously.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Novotel ExCeL

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel was very usefull for us because we had a cake show on at excel.it was clean and had a very comorftable beds.even though it was not in central London it was ok and overall a great stay. The food was average we only ate there one night for room service.the people were very friendly

• Stayed: May 2012
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your review online following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL. It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you were pleased with our friendly staff.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to the ExCeL centre, I remain with best regards.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

we stayed here for one night while taking my daughter to see 1D at the O2. very happy with the hotel, clean and comfortable and well situated for the O2. the layout of the bathroom was slightly strange- a bit like a cupboard and the toilet was in a separate room which was very small. Breakfast was included and was very good, the only criticism was the layout of the breakfast buffet was poor and this led to some chaos. We used the emirates cable car to get to the O2 which was only 2 mins walk away, and getting back on the tube and DLR was easy. would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate you are taking the time to post a review here on tripadvsior. I was thrilled to read that you had an excellent stay with us and that you found the hotel location convenient for the O2 Arena.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.