“Excellent Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Angus
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have nothing but praise for this hotel. I stayed for a week with work and would definitely recommend this to anyone else. Probably the only downside would be the bar and restaurant which tended to be on the high side for prices and lacking in atmosphere. Reception staff were very helpful with a few minor issues. The bedrooms are great and very smart. The hotel is close to London City Airport so there is the occasional noise from aircraft taking off and landing. Location is great and right next to the Xcel Centre. The DLR station is less than 5 minutes’ walk and the area is safe in the evening. There are several other restaurants and bars in the local area if you want to leave the hotel. The hotel is about 30-45 minutes by public transport into the centre of London of 10 minutes to Stratford. Please note that there are quite a bit of steps up and down between Custom House Station and the hotel. Royal Victoria may be a better option. The new Emirates Airline cable car to the 02 Arena is also less than 5 minutes’ walk from the hotel and was an easy and quick way to get across the Thames. A very modern and sophisticated hotel. The Ibis is joined onto this hotel so may be worth considering if price is an option – however, look out for special deals at this hotel.

1 Thank AngusAsh
OperationsManager_9, Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Tripadvisor to comment on your stay.

We very much appreciate your comments and your feedback will be passed on to the relevant departments.

We look forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Arrived back in London late after flight into London City airport. Entrance area all very nice, check in good. Room a total disappointment - stunk of what I believe was diesel fumes, no TV remote. Asked for remote at reception, but didn't get sorted out - this is a real basic in a supposedly 4* hotel. Restaurant service and quality very good, bar totally lacks atmosphere. Doubt I'd use again, would choose Ibis next door, not as flashy, but, overall better experience.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing TripAdvisor to comment on your stay.

I can't apologize enough for the challenges you've faced during your stay and I can assure you the situations you've mentioned were communicated to the relevant departments as well as your positive feedback.

I would be delighted if you would give us a chance to reinstate your confidence in Novotel and hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel.

Cardiff
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My son and I stayed for 2 nights while he attended University Open Days in London. The price paid for 2 nights' b&b was excellent, as was the quality of the breakfast which set you up for the day.
My only criticism is th at the hotel is quite a long way out of Central London, taking about an hour to get there by public transport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear reviewer,

We would like to thank you for your review following your stay at Novotel London ExCeL.
It was a pleasure to read that you had a comfortable stay with us.

As the hotel is located only a 5 minute walk from Custom House / Royal Victoria DLR station for easy access to transport links such as the Jubilee Line (from Canning Town station).

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel London ExCeL sometime in the near future.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent a night there after the paralympics, and we got exactly what we were expecting: a sound, no nonsense business hotel. Staff was helpful and very friendly, room was clean and ready in the morning, and we could keep it until 1.00 p.m. You get around quite easily, but It might be a bit far off, if you want to visit London, although it is close to London City-Airport and the O2. We had dinner, which was ok, very limited wine card. Breakfast was ok, but no possibility to get anything special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at Novotel London ExCeL and for taking the time to share your experience online.

The hotel is ideally located for the O2 as it is only few minutes away from the Emirates Airline cable car connecting Royal Docks (ExCeL London) to the North Greenwich Peninsula (O2).

I hope we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on a business trip, having selected in because the hotel I normally stay in was full. I was extremely impressed, and honestly can't think of anything to fault - the reception staff were exceptionally professional, attentive and friendly at check in and check out. The room I was allocated was beautifully decorated and finished and furnished to a very high standard. I found the firm bed extremely comfortable, but that is always a personal thing. Breakfast was a treat, with a good selection of nice quality foods. The view across the dock, southwards across London, added to my enjoyment. I stay in a lot of hotels, and finding good London hotels can be fraught with problems, but this is a real gem. I wished I was staying a few extra nights, and will be booking this again next time I'm staying in this area.

PS - the hotel is approx 200m from the new Emirates Air cable car across the Victoria Docks down to the O2 arena. I highly recommend that trip - £3.20 single if you have an oyster card, and worth every penny - (I used it to hop across to the restaurants in the O2 for my evening meal, hence not being able to comment on the hotel restaurant),

Room Tip: I paid a few £ extra and booked an Executive Room, which comes with some extras and O think they are...
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this great review and for rating your experience with us with 5 stars!

This is always a great pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I was delighted to read that you found our staff attentive and friendly and the room comfortable. I was also very happy to see that you enjoyed our full English buffet breakfast in our Upper Deck restaurant.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kind regards,

Killinghall
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I think the fact that we booked on late rooms may have been the reason we were not given the room that we had booked. We only paid £138 for two nights BUT had booked a room with a sofa and breakfast included which it clearly stated on our booking - our room was very small and there was definately not room for a sofa! Why did we not ask to move rooms? We arrived close to midnight as to get to the hotel from Kings Cross when two tube lines are down takes ages and when we finally got to our room we just wanted to sleep. The next day we were in a hurry and didn't have time to sort out our clothes etc to change room so we just mentioned on leaving and did not feel the recpeptionist was bothered. The beds were not comfy at all, there was only one pillow each and worst of all the milk was locked away in the mini bar which we hadn't got access to as we didn't leave a credit card, there were only 2 teabags anyway so it was hardly worth it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Tripadvisor to comment on your stay.

I can't apologize enough for the challenges you've faced with your room type and I can assure you your comment was in fact communicated to our reservations team to avoid further occurence.

Regarding the extra pillows, these are placed inside the cupboard under the minibar and I've taken into account your comments regarding the tea bags and milk pots to avoid future occurence.

Your feedback is much appreciated as it will allows us to improve our service.

We hope to see you back soon in our hotel.

United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012. The hotel location is good, just a short location from the DLR custom excel stop. It only took me twenty minutes from Canary Wharf.

Hotel rooms are modern. The hotel is in the flight path but the windows are well sealed meaning noise does not enter the room. Food in the restaurant is excellent, very good standard.

I used the gym in the morning, there is limited equipment which could be updated. Unfortunately I discovered that both the running machine and bike were not working so I wasted my time going up to the gym. The other two pieces of equipment were in use. It would have been nice to be told about the equipment problems when I checked in and asked about the gym. Note to hotel, please look at improving the gym facilities.

Putting this aside, I would happily go back to this hotel in the future.

1 Thank freed0m
OperationsManager_9, Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. I will make sure your comments are passed on to the relevant departments.

Regarding our gym facilities, I do apologize for this matter and the current situation is being assessed as we speak in order to provide our guests with the best possible service.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel.