“Handy to the metro and London City Airport.”

Ranked #298 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mackay, QLD
“Handy to the metro and London City Airport.”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

There were too many options to choose in London, so we did a mystery deal through expedia and ended up with a stay at Novotel. (This meant we did not pay the standard price for the room- so really good value for us). New modern hotel in a really nice setting. A little futher away from the city centre than we would have liked (leave an hour to get to most places on the train). Very well equipped room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock for your recent stay in London. It’s always pleasing to receive feedback from our valued guests, particularly from my home country.

I am also very pleased to learn you rated our value, sleep quality, rooms, cleanliness and service so highly.

Novotel London ExCeL is a 5 minute walk from Custom House (for ExCeL) D.L.R. station and is ideally situated for quick access to several of London’s key transport links including the Docklands Light Railway; Jubilee Line (Canning Town); Central Line (Stratford); plus Hammersmith & City Line and District Line (West Ham).

London is an extraordinary city and our hotel is conveniently located in the capital’s vibrant docklands and accessible to the ExCeL London (Exhibition Centre) & ICC (International Convention Centre), Canary Wharf, Stratford & Olympic Park, The O2 Arena & IndigO2, Tower Bridge, Spitalfields & Brick Lane, Thames River and maritime Greenwich (A World Heritage Site). The new Westfield Shopping Centre at Stratford is 10 minutes away by rail or car.

I also hope you had the opportunity to join our Le|Club Accorhotels loyalty program and collect points during your stay with us.

It has been our privilege to look after you at the hotel.

Email: h3656@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was our first trip to London for quite a few years, and our first with a child (now aged 4). We were here for the weekend for my 40th birthday, and booked via Superbreak. The child place was free of charge, and the total cost was more than £100 cheaper than the much smaller, somewhat pokey looking alternative we'd considered which was in central London. I was slightly concerned that the hotel location would be a bit "out of the way", but in reality it only took 20 minutes by DLR from Tower Gateway, and we also then discovered that it was quicker still to get the tube to Canning Town which is only a couple of stops on the DLR from Custom House Excel station (5 minutes walk from the hotel). It was possible to get from the hotel to Westminster station in less than half an hour.

The hotel was in a lovely location, very quiet next to the dockside, and my little boy also loved seeing the planes flying very low over the hotel as they went into the nearby City Airport - however we heard absolutely no aircraft noise from inside the hotel which was a welcome bonus!

We didn't really use the hotel facilities other than the excellent breakfast, and the room was large enough with all of the facilities that you'd expect (including the usual overpriced minibar which we didn't touch!). My 4 year old absolutely loved having a double sofa-bed to himself! My only minor gripe would be that the toilet was separate to the bathroom, with no sink next to it - which meant that having used the toilet you had to open the toilet door and then the bathroom door before being able to wash your hands, not the most hygienic way to do it.

All in all, a lovely hotel which was part of a fantastic weekend. Will definitely use again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on tripadvisor.com, we appreciate your valued feedback.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities including the large double sofa-bed, the Upper Deck Restaurant overlooking Royal Victoria Dock and the breakfast. Our Upper Deck Terrace is particularly popular in the summer months with great 180 degree views over the dock, towards Canary Wharf and the O2 Arena.

I am also delighted to see that you rated our value and cleanliness so highly and found the hotel convenient for Tower Hill and Westminster.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock sometime in the future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed here as a family of four over the February half term. We were going to an event at London ExCel, so brilliant location for us. Parking is available at the hotel, typical London prices I'm afraid! The reception staff were very helpful, informed us of local travel routes, taxi costs and quickly delivered extra pillows when asked. The room was typical of this type of hotel - clean, comfortable and fairly spacious. Our room did not overlook the Thames, we were on the other side with a distant view of the Olympic Park & I think Upton Park (West Ham Utd), which wasn't so bad! The tube station is very near, but with the change in lines to get to the o2 Arena, we chose to take a taxi - be warned it's about £15.00 each way, as they have to travel around the river and through the Blackwell Tunnel - No Bridge!! I thought we could stroll over as it's less than 2 miles away, but no chance! The bar area is very nice, the children's area was a welcome addition. Great outdoor space overlooking the Thames and the o2. Overall, a lovely hotel in a great location if you are visiting ExCel or the o2 - great for the Olympics too, but I bet they'll be sold out!! The excellent customer service came after we left the hotel, arrived home to realise we had left a toiletry bag behind, the front desk staff were brilliant - put me in touch with the housekeeping staff who could help who rang us back extremely quickly to confirm they'd found it and couried it to us and no charge! This kind of service is rare these days and we were very appreciative of their efforts to help us. Thank You!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very positive review and for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock. I am extremely pleased to hear that our front office / reception staff made your stay such a memorable experience.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Tube and the D.L.R. (Docklands Light Railway) convenient. The nearest Docklands Light Railway station to the hotel is Custom House (for ExCeL) or slightly further away is Royal Victoria DLR station. Both stations are with walking distance of the hotel.

We do indeed have views towards the Olympic Stadium at Stratford and Upton Park (West Ham United Football Club) or alternatively overlooking the ExCeL London (Exhibition Centre London) and Royal Victoria Dock.

I am very happy that we have exceeded your expectations with our service and we hope we have the opportunity to match these expectations on your next visit.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during Easter 2012 and I got to say it was very nice. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. Great customer service. When I called for additional towels, the lady came right away. The front desk lady was also very helpful.

The room was a little tight for a family of four but I guess it is the way it is in England since I experience the same situation in another city.

Make sure you include the breakfast option in your package when you make your room reservation. It is so much cheaper and the breakfast is very good with lots of choices.

The hotel was a bit far from the center so we needed to take the DLR first then connect to the tube. It took us maximum half an hour to get to the center but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have to switch trains. The tube ticket is valid for the DLR and for the buses so it was not an additional charge. The DLR station is 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel so very close.

The hotel is very close to City Airport but there was no airplane noise. The hotel is of new construction so I must imagine that they took that into consideration because it was literally no noise at all.

You have a variety of option with the internet connection. You have a free 20 minutes internet connection at the bar lobby or you could buy a different options. I used the 20 minutes free service and it worked great plus every member of my family had the 20 minutes option so we had enough time to make the reservations that we needed.

Also, there is a kid's section in the main lobby that was great if you have kids. You can have a drink or finish your breakfast or dinner in peace.

We did not have a car during our stay in London so I do not know the options about parking.

In general, I have to say that our stay at the Novotel Excel was very nice and I will definitely recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank TravelingCes
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team here at the hotel and I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto our staff.

I am also delighted to see that you rated our sleep quality and cleanliness so highly and enjoyed breakfast in our Upper Deck Restaurant and made use of the Children’s corner. As you mentioned there is free internet on the hotel iMac computers in the lobby area. Car parking is indeed available on-site at a discounted rate for guests staying in the Novotel hotel.

It has been our privilege to look after you at the hotel.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We booked what we thought was a family room, but when we got into our room this was not the case. We were given a room with a double bed and sofa bed the room was extremely crowded hardly any room to walk about and you could only get out one side of the sofa bed. We complained to reception and were told the only room available was a suite but we would have to pay an extra £100 a night for this, I told reception I was not happy with this and not willing to pay more money and then out of the blue a bigger room became avaiable after telling us more that twice their was not another room only the suite available. We were shown to our other room this was slightly bigger but I still think the rooms are to overcrowded especially for families. The room was also dirty with large stains on the walls and carpet coming up.

The biggest shock though came later on when we were sitting in our bed we looked up and noticed that our fire alarm (smoke detector) was covered by some sort of plastic bag we straight away phoned down to reception and a member of reception came straight up. He removed the plastic from the fire alarm and was as shocked as us to see it was a shower cap covering the detector he apologised and told us he would pass this on immediately to the duty manager who would then pass this onto the manager and someone would speak to us in the morning. The next day we waited but no one botherd to speak to us we went to reception to ask why the manager had not spoke to us and we were told nothing had been reported we were shocked once again that the safety of us was not important to the hotel. We were then told that the manager would speak to us when he came on. Later that night we spoke to reception and we were told the manager was off sick. The next day we waited once again no manager bothered to try and speak to us to explain why this had happened? Why the room had not been properly checked? So once again we waited then we went back to reception to check out and demanded to speak to a manager we then got to speak to the duty manager who knew nothing about the incident, he didnt really seem botherd about the issue and just told us that the manager would be informed and he would contact us, it seems as if the safety of our family was not important to them what so ever. But the funny thing was the day after we reported the incident even though everyone we spoke to said they knew nothing about it their was then a fire drill arranged. We are still waiting to hear from the hotel regarding this matter.

Room Tip: Would not recommended for families as rooms are far too small.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
OperationsManager_9, Operations Manager at Novotel London ExCeL, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

I have since checked your lastminute.com reservation details and the room you booked and received was correct. Children are very special guests at every Novotel around the world. We offer accommodation and breakfast for free for up to two children under the age of 16 staying in their parents' room.

As a goodwill gesture, the Team Leader offered you an Executive Room upgrade complimentary or a Suite at an increased price, to allow more room for you and your family. You accepted our offer of an upgrade to our Executive Room complimentary.

At the Novotel London ExCeL, we take health and hygiene issues very seriously as the safety and the well being of our guests is our primary concern. To ensure our high standards are always maintained, we are independently and regularly audited by an independent Health, Safety and Food Safety consulting company. We conduct a fire alarm test (not a fire drill) every Friday at 2pm as part on our ongoing fire safety. This is a standard procedure in many hotels and commercial premises.

Our Duty Managers are trained to deal with issues effectively and quickly and the issues you raised were dealt with accordingly.

I am disappointed hear that you did not enjoy your stay, as many of the comments on tripadvisor.com are overwhelming positive.

My apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

email: h3656@accor.com
Hampshire ,England
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Agree with other reviews in terms of location, rooms etc. We stayed in 901 which was the last room on the top floor. Not the best side for a view but was OK. However we had a gang of youths that lurked on the grass outside the hotel that were swearing and shouting loudly. Several guests from the hotel had a yell out the window at them but it took more than an hour to move them on.

Added comments - Toilet separate from bathroom. Good idea but had no sink with it so a bit grim really if someone using the bathroom whilst you use the loo.

Room a tad small but my child loved his very comfy, large double bed (pull down sofa).

Restaurant was lovely. Really good children's menu (divided into 2 ages so suited to younger and older tastes). My 8 year old got 3 courses and a drink for £7.95 and the portions were massive and really nicely cooked. Made a change from the usual deep fried/micro wave rubbish he normally gets offered. Also got a pack of cards and wooden puzzle. Very impressed. Adult meals were also nice, there is a set meal for £20 or the al a carte starts at the £12 mark for a main meal.

Only other comment was about the stairs. Trying to be healthy I took the stair case down to the 1st floor restaurant. However my plans were thwarted by the stairs actually being part of the next door Ibis hotel! The doors were locked at the first and second levels so I had no choice but to appear at the Ibis reception on the ground floor quite confused!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock for your stay in London. It’s always pleasing to receive great feedback from our valued guests and I am pleased you rated our location and service so highly.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities including the large double sofa-bed, the Upper Deck Restaurant overlooking Royal Victoria Dock and the Novotel Children’s menu. Our Upper Deck Terrace is particularly popular in the summer months with great 180 degree views over the dock, towards Canary Wharf and the O2 Arena.

There are two sets of stairs available to the 1st floor for the Reception, Restaurant and Bar. The door you went through was a fire door which was alarmed and magnetic and should only be used by guests in a genuine emergency situation. They have been specifically designed and constructed for this purpose only and are not to be used for any other function.

Thank you once again for your comments. We hope to welcome you back on another stay to the hotel.

Durham
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We've just returned from a two day Easter Holiday break with our two children. We had a lovely room on the fourth floor - very quiet with a great view of the dock. Room was very clean and surprizingly spacious. Bathroom was spotless. We found the staff to be very helpful. On the first night we managed to accidently lock our mini bar - a lady arrived within minutes to unlock it and proceded to help us to arrange the kids fold out bed. Our kids were very tired on the first night and didn't want to eat in the restaurant. The staff at reception arranged for pizzas from a local takeaway to be delivered. Excellent service! It was really easy to get into the centre of London and all the attractions using the Light Docklands Railway and we prefered the fact that it was a bit more relaxed and peaceful at the hotel after the hustle and bustle of the city. The only downside we found was that some guests were selfish with the computers in the reception area and didn't observe the 20 min. a visit rule. I waited ages while a husband and wife occupied both computers and the lady was only looking at shoes ! We were in a bit of a hurry and wanted to book attraction tickets to avoid the queues. The kids however were well catered for. They were given a welcome pack on arrival and the kids area had an x-box. The breakfasts were excellent - a wide choice - something for everyone and very tasty. I would definately stay at this hotel again. I've stayed in hotels in London before and this was the best by far!

1 Thank V H
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very positive review and for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Novotel London ExCeL, Royal Victoria Dock. I appreciate your comments and it is fantastic to hear that you had rated our cleanliness and service so highly.

I am also extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed our children’s facilities including the children’s corner with the X-box. Children are very special guests at every Novotel around the world. Accommodation and breakfast are free for two children under the age of 16 staying in their parents' room.