“Cherry Court Sept. 2014”
Review of Cherry Court Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Cherry Court Hotel
Ranked #488 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I will start with saying that I debated writing this because everyone loves this hotel and so I wasn't sure that I wanted to post anything that wasn't 100% positive. But isn't that really the idea of reviews? So first there are several repeated themes about this hotel. 1- Fantastic central location, great price, very nice family that owns it and very clean. I agree with all of those comments. Also we actually had not real issues with the room size. I think my main challenges with the hotel is that it's not really a hotel to me but more a boarding house. You get buzzed in and then have a key to the front door going forward which is fine. But there is no lobby just a small office with a door off to the side of the hallway. Most of the time there was not anyone there so we didn't really ask a lot of questions. Second there are just two towels (no hand towel or washcloth) given to you each day and there is one small bar of soap. So please make sure you bring your own hairdryer and toiletries. Also, maybe this is just a pet peeve of mine but they give you tea in the room that is in a plastic container in loose tea bags (no paper cover). Not sanitary at all. Basically everything in the room is the least expensive thing they could buy. My main thing about this hotel is that they say they have WI-FI so we planned to use it a lot to plan our day. We were on the upper level and rarely had service. We had IPAD so no USB plug so it made our trip planning hard. Also I have a business that I have to check e-mails for each day and was not not able to do this. Would I recommend this hotel? Maybe but sure you bring what you need from home and get a room on the lower levels if you need WI-FI.

Room Tip: Stick to the lower floors if you have any issues with stairs or if you need WI-FI.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank 4evercruising
There are newer reviews for Cherry Court Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We recently stayed here on recommendation from the Rick Steeves 2013 book and we were not disappointed. We knew ahead of time that the rooms were going to be small, which it was, but the location is hard to beat. The owners are very friendly, helpful with any questions we had. The first evening we were there we headed out on foot to explore and within 20 minutes found ourselves at Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and the London Eye. The next day we walked 10 minutes in another direction and found Buckingham Palace. Victoria Station is so close by, which links you up to anywhere else in and around London. The fruit baskets with juice and cookies were great to have, we would pack them in our backpack for a snack throughout the day. The Cherry Court Hotel in great value!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mikriVictoria
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had booked a triple room for three nights in September following a cruise. When we arrived we needed to be buzzed in since there is a locked security door on the hotel (which I liked). The hotel is an old house turned into a hotel and was very charming. The owner of the hotel was very friendly and helpful and walked us to the room.

Now, I did read the other reviews and expected the room to be small but WOW, it is really small. We were sleeping three adults in this room. There was a double bed pressed up against one wall and a single pressed up almost against the other with one nightstand separating them. There was no closet or wardrobe, no where to open our suitcases and no seating.

We really enjoyed the central location with easy access to Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace and plenty of great places to eat. We did not like that we could hear all sorts of noise from outside as well as the room above us. I would also make the suggestion of checking the locks on your windows. The second night we noticed that the window was unlocked which was scary considering that we were on the bottom floor of the hotel with fire escape stairs leading directly to it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meowit
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I with two of our friends stayed here from August 31 - September 3 2013 in the “family room” (room 11) and had a really great experience. The owners were very friendly and helped us take our bags down the two flights of stairs to the room, the room was very small but that was expected for London, and the location can`t be beat. The fruit basket left to you in the mornings by the hotel staff was a great treat. We took the snacks with us to eat throughout the day as we often found ourselves running around London without stopping to eat! The proximity to Victoria Station proved to be most helpful. Victoria Station will get you anywhere you need to go in London! When searching for a hotel, we really just wanted a great location with a nice, clean, safe place to sleep at night and take a shower and we received that and more at the Cherry Court. The only negative I can say about the hotel is that if you don't pay in cash, they will charge you an extra 5%. When I booked the hotel, I believe they said something about a 5% discount for paying cash, but I didn't realize that the price quoted was the cash price, so it was a surprise at checkout. It wasn't that big of a deal, just something to be aware of. Overall, we had an awesome experience and would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel is very narrow, so several rooms are located under the stairs. We had a room on the botto...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lindsay T
Reviewed September 23, 2013

These rooms are small, but it's a great value for an expensive city like London. The Patel family is very polite. The take-away breakfasts definitely came in handy for a busy day of sightseeing. The rooms' size is helped by the large wall-to-wall mirrors and big windows. And if you've only got 3 days to see London's sights like we did, you won't be spending much time in your room anyway. It has a great location near Victoria Station. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MostlyMeg
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I spent a week in London and loved the Cherry Court Hotel. First of all, I had to push back my travel plans because of a family emergency, and Mrs. Patel accomodated my change in dates as best she could, didn't try to charge me for the nights I missed, and she even called to make sure that I had found another place (not nearly as good) for the rest of my vacation. The price was great considering the quality of the service and the location of the hotel.
The room was small (No. 10 on the top floor), but it was clean, quiet and perfect for one person to sleep in and get ready at. The breakfast basket was great, a couple pieces of fruit, cookies, granola bar and juice. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful, they will hold your luggage if you arrive early or have a late flight on your checkout date. The hotel was also in a great location, located on a pretty safe residential looking street that was only a 2 minute walk from the Victoria station, so you can get anywhere in London and very convenient for flying into and out of Gatwick Airport. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AndWhereToNext
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A large majority of commentators have gave CCH favorable reviews at the time of my booking, and I can see why: excellent location, thrifty price, excellent location, pleasant and helpful owners, excellent location, and an alternative breakfast choice for those eschewing the large English breakfasts most places serve (instead providing fresh fruit baskets including OJ packets and a breakfast bar, placed in the room each day).

Did I say CCH has an excellent location? Its within a few blocks from the Victoria Railway station, the Victoria Underground, and the Victoria Coach (cross-country bus) station, not to mention a few more blocks from Buckingham Palace, the BP Mews, and the palace guard barracks. The hotel is located in the borough of Westminster where many of London's attractions are located. You are also less than 30 minutes including walking to places like Westminster, Parliament, Tower of London, Piccadilly Circus, & Oxford Circus when you use public transportation. Grab an Oyster card and you are ready to go. On the downside, Victoria Underground is undergoing an upgrade that won't be completed until sometime until 2019. It needs the upgrade -- for now there are no lifts/elevators to take you and your luggage up from the underground to street level -- its all stairs unless you come in on the Victoria line - then its partially stairs. This is not an issue if you have light luggage, are reasonably fit, or someone volunteers to help with luggage you may be struggling with.

As for price/value, the research I did placed CCH at the top of my list, sight unseen. My spouse and I got a double with daily fruit basket for lower than most places we checked. That price, I reasoned, would help balance out other expenses often found in England's expensive capital. We found the owners to be pleasant, accommodating, and anxious to please. They helped ported our luggage up and down the steep stairs as part of the service. (We checked in/out during normal daytime hours.) The room had adequate electrical outlets and wi-fi for casual usage.

Notwithstanding all these good things, if I ever came back, I would not want to try room 6 again unless I saw contrary reviews agreeing the problem has been cured. It was stuffy (windows painted shut), and had an oppressive feel of olde in the air. That is, coming from the ensuite bathroom to the bedroom one could instantly feel the difference of less fresh air. More pronounced was our morning start outdoors where during our time in London, rain and fog was never an issue -- the freshness of London air exuded the sensation of getting out of jail/gaol. Sorry, I really hated to say that, because I like the owners. They tried when I brought up the issue of dampness, by giving us a small, room dehumidifier but in an overnight run, it extracted less than half an inch in c. 3x3 inch container. I.E. humidity is not the problem or the dehumidifier was faulty.

Mattress & pillows were of foam rubber. Pillows were thin but firm. Mattress was reasonably firm. The room had all the physical appearances of being clean, notwithstanding my previous comments. Rooms are quiet.

CCH has rooms of various sizes, I saw a family with two small children entering a room with more than one bed, but did not glance long enough to evaluate its overall size. The capacity of our room could be a problem for those with lots of luggage. We brought in four suitcase and a large personal item (airline carry-on that is not a "carry-on"), that when lined up against the wall lengthwise, parallel to the bed, left an aisle of about 18 inches, or less than half a metre, meaning not all cases could be opened at once. The space at the foot of the bed was not wide enough to hold suitcases without blocking access to the ensuite. The other two sides of the bed were against walls. Very few shelves. If you know how to travel light, I don't think this will be an issue. Even then, it wasn't much of a problem for us ... after all we booked here to see London, not to lounge in the room.

In summary, I believe the many good reviews indicate the majority of the rooms are at least fresher in feel, and with the many positives. My star rating includes the room we were given and the pluses Cherry Court offers. But read other current reviews, keeping in mind the season the reviews represent to get an overall picture. It may be that the discomfort we had surfaces mainly during the Summer and Winter when humidity is at its worst, or it was a condition found for anyone arriving in Mid-August when six weeks of heavy heat had recently receded.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple