“Avoid this wannabe hotel.”

The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village
Ranked #351 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Avoid this wannabe hotel.”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

The room was very small and cramped.
The reception staff do not make eye contact did not smile and genuinely do not look happy to be working there.
The building facade is really only just that. This is quite a rundown bed and breakfast at best.
In the bathroom, the water pressure was very low and the shower to ages to warm up.
Once inside the room, it was impossible to lock the deadbolt. The bolt and the housing did not line up correctly.
This hotel advertises free Wi-Fi. However, in order to sign up for the free Wi-Fi you need to submit your cell number to which you will be Sent a code. I am from overseas so did not want to use my cell phone and incur large foreign carrier charges in order to do this. This rendered the Wi-Fi useless.
Blackheath and Greenwich are absolutely beautiful. I will certainly visit again but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Alex V
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Alex V
thank you for your review, I am sorry that the deadbolt in your room was not aliened and that the service form our receptionist was not as I expect it to be. With regards to the shower, we are just completing a 12 months overall of our boiler system, this work is finished now. With regards to wi-fi, we use EE, one of the major internet providers, there are new guidelines these companies have to follow, so that internet use-age and access can be monitored better by the authorities. However you can by-pass this and still get access (for a limited time) if you do not wish to enter your telephone number, I will check to see if this information is evident enough. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I check-in on 11 Dec and stayed for 3 nights. I came with no expectation as this is suppose to be a clean and basic hotel. After my experiences, I will have second thought coming back.
The room was clean and bed was very soft. House-keeping staff were very polite and efficient. Breakfast was not bad and the staff there were equally polite. Location was good, just 5 minutes walk to Blackheath train station and easy bus ride to Lewisham centre.

However, I will not say so for the staff at the front desk. A special delivery was sent to me to the hotel via Royal Mail. However, the staff at the front desk refused to sign. Different excuses were given when I confronted them. Upon verifying with the excuses that they cited, all were not true. I guess it's just not my day.

Hope the management team can look into the attitude of the staff at the front desk. Thank you to the house-keeping for keeping the rooms clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank SunnyIsland71
Dear sunnylsland71
Thank you for your review, I am glad you found the hotel bedrooms, our food and staff in good standing. I did look into your issue with the parcel, I personally think either we put your name in our system with the wrong spelling or the parcel had the wrong spelling. I understand the receptionist contacted the sorting office for you to collect your packagfe in our village. if you do wish to contact me, my details are ken@clarendonhotel.com
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Not a bad hotel food was average but there was nearly 200 sitting down for Xmas dinner. Did not have to wait long so I can only imagine on a less busy period the service would have been even better. Food was hot and served on time. The bar service was good as there were quite a few bars and the place was like maze, as you had more to drink to find your way back to the disco was a struggle. All in all a very good evening, ho ho ho ...............

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jameselee
Thank you for your review, as I am writing the reply we have just finished our Christmas parties, it seems everyone's spirits are generally up as we were very busy. Have a great Christmas and of course ho ho ho
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've stopped here a few times for trips in and around London. The location is good (Blackheath is quite beautiful no matter what time of year it is) and it has easy access into the centre of London.

On my last stay here I was given an upgrade from what is normally a fairly basic room to one of their superior rooms, which is probably a little like an old Ibis!

That aside, the staff are friendly and understanding that the hotel is somewhat of a bizarre maze to get around and the bar is empty normally, aside from quite lively Friday evenings.

Without a doubt the most amazing thing about this hotel is the breakfast. Worth staying here just for that!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Matthew C
Thank you for your review, and I am glad you like the hotel especially the breakfast. I am looking signage for the hotel for better directions. See you soon I hope.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is excellently situated for Blackheath Village and Greenwich. The price is very reasonable for a London hotel in such a location with on-site free parking. we stayed two nights with two very young children and found the room and bathroom very clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and always responded well to any questions or requests. On our arrival, quite late in the evening, the security guard went to the rear car park to check if there was space to park (although other's parking meant we were woken at midnight to move our car). The breakfast was good with a good selection at the English breakfast buffet and some good continental selections including mini pastries and charcuterie.

The downsides were few, but we ordered some food from room service in the evening and it was not great food (fish and chips). When we woke relatively late in the morning, our shower was also running tepid, which wasn't what we were expecting and then had a longer than normal queue to get into breakfast. Parking on-site is difficult with few spaces, but it is free.

Overall, the pluses outweighed the minuses and a good sized clean room, with friendly, helpful staff with a good breakfast is, to us, much more important (and difficult to find) than the few negatives mentioned.

Room Tip: Our lower ground room was a bit warm and stuffy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank Where_2_nextthen?
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear where_2_nextthen?
thank you for your review, I can see that you generally enjoyed your stay, however I am sorry the room service food was not as it should be. With regards to water, I can inform you that we have been changing over the hotel water boilers over the last 10 months. This project is almost finished, and all final issues are being resolved on a daily basis. I am also looking at how we can find more car parking space at the hotel, currently there is space for 70 cars, but when we are full, this is not enough. However there is parking in the village in both car parks and street parking, but this is chargeable. Once again thank you for your review.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Four of us stayed at the Clarendon Hotel for one night, after seeing Nickleback at the O2 on Sunday 24th November and had an enjoyable stay. I did a lot of research for a hotel up to 2 miles from the O2 and this hotel was in the perfect location, overlooking Greenwich Green, with many Georgian buildings, like the Clarendon Hotel, which is very close to boutique and kitsch shops, Greenwich Arts and Crafts Market and bars and restaurants maybe 30 minutes walk away. There was a great Indian close by, which I recommend - Mogul Tandoori (another review.)
Check-in is 14.00 and although we arrived about half an hour before that time, we only had to wait about half an hour for our room to be ready, making that 14.00. There was a wedding and two special birthdays taking place on that weekend. These events are displayed on a notice board, which I thought was a good idea. The bride and other wedding guests flowed through the reception area freely. I only saw 2 Disabled parking bays at the front, as we needed one bay with a Blue Badge, so we informed the reception, so that they could unlock the 'barrier' on the ground. We enjoyed watching some tv, before booking a taxi to the O2, a couple of miles away (£10.00 by taxi there/back each way. )
All of the staff were very helpful, courteous and obliging. We were asked a few times at breakfast time if we would prefer tea/coffee by different members of the waiting staff. The room was as I expected from the website, basic, but clean. The bed was very comfortable, I must say and the buffet breakfast was very nice, with a good selection of hot and cold food, with tea/coffee pots brought to the table.
The check-out time, however, is too early, I thought at 10.30! 12.00 is a good time to have a leisurely morning to check-out.
All-in-all, a very pleasant one night stay in a Georgian building, overlooking Greenwich Green, with great, quirky shops, bars and restaurants close by and the O2 being only 2 miles away. I would definitely stay again and I was pleased with my choice, after a lot of research, including reading many Tripadvisor reviews!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Greenwich Green, as opposed to the back car park of the hotel, like we did. As...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear suesawyer
Thank you so much for your review, I am pleased your diligence on looking for hotel's near the O2 was worth it, and I am sure many people will benefit from your through review of not only the hotel but also the surrounding area. We are so pleased everything went to plan and you enjoyed your concert at the 02. With regards to the O2, we have a special offer if the reservation is made on our own website, where upon free return bus tickets are supplied. (108 bus, 8-10 minutes to the O2, 24 hours-disabled access bus- stop just outside the hotel) Once again thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Me and 3 of my friends came an stayed here for 1 night for a night out.
The hotel was reasonably priced and breakfast was LOVELY.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The location was beautiful also...

Would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ken_milton, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel - Blackheath Village, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Hi Lia C
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you and your friends enjoyed the hotel and our lovely setting. Thank you for letting us know.