“Amazing!!”

Ranked #268 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Khobar
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

First of all, before booking this hotel, one must understand it is a "Boutique" hotel. Meaning, if you're looking for a big hotel with big lobby and ppl walking in and out (some ppl love that) then this hotel wouldn't be the perfect choice for you, it has +/- 60 rooms and a small lobby with few ( 2 or 3) tables, excellent for ppl who wanna feel home while walking in or out of the hotel.
The rooms are huge (compared to london standards) and for the first time for me in london i was able to hang all my cloths in the walk-in closet. The furniture is not new, but very classy and classic. The toilet is not new as well but very luxurious. A best description would be a room in a 50 yr old Palace. Which is to me beautiful.

Location:
it's in the heart of south Kensington. 20 meters away of Gloucester Road with all restaurants, bars, and cafe's. Underground station of Gloucester road (Piccadilly line) is the line that would take you around to most of the attractions (Knightsbridge, Hyde park corner, Piccadilly, Leicester Square, Covent Garden).

To wrap up, I've stayed in more than 10 different hotels in london (4 & 5 stars) and this one is by far my favorite.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for your kind review.

It is very refreshing to see such lovely reviews form our guests & it is extremely rewarding for the team at The Bentley - London to know that we are getting it right!

We are immensely proud of our hotel & also of being a Waldorf Astoria Hotel & we are completely dedicated to providing the finest service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Paul Kennedy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Greek first
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This hotel was a major disappointment -- even though I was redeeming my Hilton points, I paid a premium on points to stay at this Waldorf-Astoria Collection hotel for the five star experience the website described and because my stays at other WAC hotels have been stellar experiences.

First the highlights...the hotel is in an excellent location within 5 min walk to the Tube and plenty of conveniences nearby (24 hour Tesco, banks, Starbucks, pharmacy, great restaurants) Second, the staff was pleasant, always greeted us when we returned to the hotel (even at 4am on New Year's Eve!!) Finally in my decades traveling in Europe, this was one of the bigger rooms I have stayed in. This however is where the good ends.

Rooms. My bathroom faucet was in pieces on the countertop when I checked in. The towels in the bath looked like rags -- thread bare and frayed literally to shreds. I wouldn't have used these to clean the family dog, let alone use for guests. The towels were emblazoned with another hotel's name (likely leftover from a previous owner before becoming a WAC hotel.) The bathroom had nice marble but was chipped, missing, water damaged and broken in dozens of spots. The bed was like sleepy on granite and although it was a king, it had two twin size feather beds that moved around when you slept. The furnishings were old and dated. It was like sleeping in Miss Haversham's house from Charles Dickens...old, tired, dusty and nothing of comfort. The HD-TV had no channels in HD and only 2-4 channels worked most were so snowy that viewing was nearly impossible. They switched our room but the bed was only marginally better and the same TV and bathroom issues existed in the new room.

There is no wi-fi in the room making iPhones and iPads useless. There was wi fi in the lobby but it seemed to expire every hour necessitating the staff to repeatedly "go in the back" to get a new code...very inconvenient and annoying.

Concierge. I provided the concierge with four dates and a request for two theatre tickets to a certain show and told him money was no object. Thirty minutes later I received a call that tickets were impossible to get and he would not be able to get them. Not accepting that answer, i went to the business center in the lobby, located right in front of the concierge desk and with him watching I was able to procure two tickets, fifth row stalls for the show and nite I requested and only paid 15 pounds over the face value for them. The concierge's response? "Wow you are good!"

Room service. Food was barely edible. Lasagna looked like vomit and the cold cut sandwich was on stale bread and tasted like it had been made a month ago....cold, damp and stale...not a good description of a sandwich.

Hilton Honors recognition. We were told no upgrade was available due to the busy holiday weekend only to have a friendly front desk clerk tell us later that the hotel was practically empty two nights later. There was no recognition of the gold status...no breakfast as you get at every other hotel, no free paper at my door, no upgrade...

When I expressed my concern to Mr. Kennedy, the hotel's operations manager, he did seem concerned but other than switch me from one bad room to another bad room, he offered nothing else. Very disappointed that Hilton would tarnish their WAC brand with such an abysmal property. I could have stayed at other Hiltons that I have stayed in on previous London trips and spent LESS points and had a much better experience WITH full breakfast!

To Hilton Corporate's credit, I infomed them of my experience on my arrival home and they immediately rectified the situation with a refund of Hilton points to my account...very nice of them to do and was done within hours of me contacting them.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chgotrvlr71
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review.

Naturally the team at The Bentley - London are very disappointed to receive such feedback & as discussed in our correspondence following your stay I am very sorry that your stay was not as it should have been.

Our hope is that all of our guests who stay with us leave contented & delighted with our service & product. We take immense pride in being part of the Waldorf Astoria Collection & we fully understand the responsibilities we have in delivering excellent standards in both service & product.

There are many issues that you have raised that are completely unaccepetable & I fully agree with you that they have no place at this or any hotel. The broken faucet, the poor quality bed, poor quality TV picture, WIFI issue & Concierge service should never have happened.

The hotel is currently purchasing new beds, new TV's with a better picture, WIFI will be installed later this month & our service issues such as Concierge & Room Service are being addressed.

We are also replacing our towels & bathrobes but for the record I would like to explain that the logo on the towels is from the hotel Spa & not from another hotel.

The hotel was indeed very busy over the period that you arrived & we were unable to provide you with an upgrade. The requrement is that we provide an upgrade subject to availability.

Breakfast is not offered complimentary as standard to Hilton Honours members in Waldorf Astoria hotels but we do provide two complimentary newspapers. The Independent & the Financial Times are provided although it would appear that perhaps this may not have been explained to you.

I am very sorry to read that you felt that I did not offer you what you were expecting. When I showed you the room in person I was under the impression that you were satisfied. When I spoke to you in the lobby the following day to see if everything was okay I believe that I did ask if there was anything else I could do as I could see that you were unhappy.

I am very pleased that you were satisfied with the refund of the points for your extra plus an extra amount as compensation but I do apreciate that you wanted your stay to be as it should have been.

Once again I am truly sorry for all of the mistakes that we made & as I stated in our correspondence I remain hopeful that you will return to The Bentley - London to see the improvements we are making.

Seattle
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stayed for six nights from the 24th through 30th of Dec in a Jr. Suite Room. We stayed on points 5 nights, and paid for one ($720 for the one night).

I really wanted to give this place a three or four star rating. But comparing the price (expensive) with the “5-Star” hotel classification and the accommodations, I found it just too far out of line.

SERVICE. It was always great and the best thing about the hotel. Always greeted when we came in and out; service to the room when requested, always prompt, very friendly, very professional and warm. Didn’t have food, but coffee and other requests for the room always politely, quickly cared for. Room cleaning always done early. Five star service all the way.

LOCATION. South Kensington/Knightsbridge is fine – near the park, nice neighborhoods to walk in, quiet street – very near Harrods and Harvie-Nichols, close to the Tube and buses. Several nearby restaurants and pubs. It’s not as central as Mayfair, but the Tube was quick and easy, and taxi’s quick as well. I’d prefer a little closer in on my next trip, and if you want to be closer to the thick of things, I’d recommend Mayfair. The location was still fine however.

ROOMS. The rooms are not 5 Star. No. Positive: the Décor is very ‘English fancy’ and traditional in style – which is nice, and the room size very generous. Negative: Our furniture didn’t fit the room, lighting was awful - not enough, three small room lamps in a large room, and a chandelier that hung off of a 7.5’ foot ceiling. It looked so out of place, and you couldn’t walk under of course. The “King” bed was actually two twins together. Initially the bed had separate ‘twin’ comforters. We had these replaced with a King comforter. Two lamps blew while there – fixed quickly on request by the great service. Wall trim molding was broken or water damaged in the bathroom – no touchups anywhere, and the marble trim molding hasn’t been dusted or cleaned – maybe never. The “Grand” Feeling of the décor was mitigated by normal height ceilings, poor room maintenance, and abysmal furniture size selection and layout design.

Given a choice, the poor room accommodations and very high price point, and 5-Star class – I would select something else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeaFrequentTrvlr
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always very interested in everything our guests have to say about The Bentley - London.

I was delighted to read that you were bowled over by our service. The delivery of service is one of the most important areas in any hotel & we pride ourselves on having the highest standards.
The Bentley - London is a Waldorf Astoria hotel & all of the team are dedicated to delivering impeccable service at all times to our valued guests.

I was disappointed that your bedroom was not as it should have been & we are constantly looking at ways to improve our producy. At the moment we are improving the facilities available to our guests in our bedrooms as we strive to advance our product.

It does appear that this particular room was clearly not of the standard we would expect to deliver here at The Bentley - London & part of our daily routine is to identify areas of the hotel that we can improve & act upon that.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future & I would be delighted if you contacted me directly in order to personalise your reservation.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed over our American Thanksgiving week and the hotel did not seem overly booked so we felt that we had the most magnificent. town home in the posh area of London with our own private staff. While everyone was great--Zoltan, Emmy, front desk people--it was Mario, the concierge, who took care of us royally. We were treated as if we were the only guests there.

We arrived early from the States, so our room wasn't ready for an hour or two--we just stored our luggage and explored the neighborhood.; the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert were nearby. When they did assign our room, it was an upgrade to an Asburn suite which meant it was a small 4 room apartment. Powder room off the separate living room; King bedroom; Marbled bath with jacuzzi tub and separate shower (.with wonderful Agraria amenities). There was also a huge walk-in closet with shelves, built in drawers, a safe and enough room for all our things, we used it as our dressing room which kept everything else neat.

Since I didn't want to drag my laptop on this trip, I was especially pleased with the availability of internet access (with printer) in the lobby. It was always accessible and filled all my internet needs for a leisure trip.

My only complaint was that our bed was not a "Hilton bed"--the mattress was lacking but management topped it off for me so it was fine for week. Room service was always prompt for ice or whatever. Coffee service was set up in the room and replenished each day so we could enjoy coffee while dressing.

Neighborhood was grand, Gloucester Road tube station super convenient to everywhere--less than 5 minute walk from the Bentley. Best meal we had in London was at the Bombay Brasserie in the Millennium Hotel directly across from the G. tube station---very upscale Indian cuisine. We didn't eat in the hotel because we had too many other places to check out.

We are Hilton Honors Diamonds so we basically experienced this wonderful place on free nights and points---but I would pay to stay there--it was that special. I am so glad that Hilton has affiliated themselves with such wonderful Waldorf properties in its collection. This hotel made London for me!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PaulKennedy2010, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

The team at The Bentley were delighted to read such positive comments regarding your stay & we are absolutely thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We are dedicated to ensuring that all of our guests have a wonderful stay & it is reassuring to receive delightful comments such as this.

I have shared your review with the whole team & we are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Bentley in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 27, 2010

On a surprise weekend trip to London my boyfriend and I stayed at the Bentley for 4 nights. The staff were excellent, very accomodating, the room was of an excellent size (although could do with a few touch ups here and there) and the location while not in "downtown" is superb! the Tube stop is very near by at a 7 minute walk and there are some great bars and restaurants near by too. South Kensington is a gorgeous suburb of London and if you do stay here I recommend a wonderful Spanish Tapas restaurant nearby called Tendido Cero!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We were using Hilton points for our 4 night stay and based on reviews, tried to get into either Canary Warf or Tower Hilton. Neither had availability for using points. We looked further down the list and found that The Bentley was available. It's a little lower on the review list, but I don't know why.
We checked in rather late in the evening and Paula showed us to our room (upgraded suite) and gave us instructions for bath, clock, lights, temperature, ect. Zoltan brought our bags up a moment later. When we found that our power converter was missing, Zoltan brought one up right away.
The room is big, with a nice king size bed. We had a corner suite so the view unfortunately was of a brick building next door, but it looked like most of the rooms would have a nicer view.
The bathroom is beautiful, with a sit down vanity, large jacuzzi tub and separate shower. Included the first night on the bath, were some bath salts.
We had free high speed internet, but only because we were Hilton gold members. Otherwise it looked like there was a charge.
The staff was always attentive, opening doors, taking care of requests, lending out an umbrella when needed. Paula, in particular, was over the top great!
One little disappointment was that we had informed the hotel when booking that it was our Anniversary and nothing special was done. No big deal.
It's a beautiful building in a great neighborhood. It is 2 blocks (1 up and 1 over) to the Glocester Road tube station, which connects to practically anywhere we wanted to go within a few stops, The other 2 Hiltons would have been a bit of a ride to get to the sites. There are nice restaurants 1 block away (Black and Blu has excellent steaks, and a coffee shop right across the street from that has great breakfasts.
We never tried the restaurant, but did have a drink the first night in the "lobby". Would have loved to try the spa facilities, but were too busy with other fun things.
One thing to be aware of is that the taxi service they use if you need one for the airport, is a private one. The arrangements seemed slightly "schmarmy", and the driver talked in a foreign language on his cell phone the entire way, but we didn't have too bad an experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Stayed at the Bentley while in London for 2 weeks for work. I tried the Hilton Green Park, Hilton Metropole, and finally the Bentley. As we all know, Location, Location, Location.

Hotel room was fantastic. Much larger than you normally get in Europe. Bathroom with standing shower and tub were major pluses. As a US citizen I didn't feel like I was being squeezed into a Coke Bottle for the room.

The service has been good so far. I think they could upgrade the check in process because it took a little while to get us checked in but all in all they were very courteous.

Tons of great restaurants all in 2 blocks or less. Really enjoyed the Italian place on the corner. I even tried the casino across the street, it was small but a exactly what I was looking for when I had some spare time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business