It was our first stay at the Bentley but not our first at a Hilton owned hotel. I have left it just over a week to write my review while I considered what it was fair to say because I don't think we would stay there again. We were there for a two night weekend stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had booked dinner at the hotel for our first night. On arrival we were greeted very well and our car whisked away for valet parking most efficiently. Reception staff were friendly and a member of the front of house team personally took us to our room and demonstrated all the features. We were on the top floor just a very short walk from the lift. Our luggage arrived at the room shortly after. The room was lovely - tastefully decorated, comfy bed and pillows etc. Decent sized bathroom with a whirpool bath - all marble decor and in keeping with the stle of the hotel - which I have to say is impressive in its decor and charm. As I have to manage a very large and very old building myself I will forgive them the gaffer tape holding one of the light fittings on our bedroom chandelier as I know how difficult it can be to take care of everything all at once!.
Our disappointment started when we arrived in the Malachite cocktail bar. The barman had never heard of a Singapore Sling but managed a passable (just) Blue Lagoon. My husband was happy with his Long Island Iced Tea and considering neither the Blue Lagoon or Long Island were on the cocktail menu this was fair enough. We wandered around to the restaurant for dinner and were a little disconcerted to find we were the ony two people booked in for a meal for the whole evening. I wont say I now know why because I don't know how many guests would normally eat there - but we found it mediocre in the extreme. As a breakfast room it is fine, for a romantic anniversary meal - I would say don't bother. No atmosphere whatsoever
- it was a bit like sitting in an echo chamber with comfy seats. The food also was mediocre - the main course served in plates resembling a small pond (in which our breakfast was also served). My comment to my husband was that I felt the chef and waiting staff should be sent to train at Amy's Restaurant (Gatwick Hilton) where despite being a busy and bustling open airport restaurant the food is gorgeous and the atmosphere busy but manages to make couples feel that they are in secluded and romantic setting. For proper 1st Class service the staff should be sent to train at the Caledonian in Edinburgh (Hilton/Waldorf Astoria). I don't like fawning, humble service of the Uriah Heap variety, but Gatwick and Edinburgh has friendly, welcoming and relaxing first class service all wrapped up. Maybe the chef had the hump because he could have had an early night without us but although the food was edible it wasn't good. I thought maybe desert would save the day but the Creme Brulee was a solid chewy concoction with no crispy bit on the top - it was soggy. We ordered a bottle of Rioja wine from the wine menu and it was served to us in a glass poured from behind the scenes. It didn't taste like any Rioja I have had before and my husband asked to see the bottle. We then realised, from the broken English of the waiter that he thought we wanted it as a "by the glass" purchase, but we han't said this or indicated it so there was obviously a bit of a misunderstanding. We decided to finish our meal with a French Coffee. Wow - I have never been in any hotel or restaurant anywhere of any star where they don't know how to serve a French Coffee. They came served in a brandy glass and looked like the muddy dregs from the bottom of a river.
Breakfast was ok but we have had better in B&B's and the coffee (which I drink without milk) was lukewarm. Very disappointing and in fairness the staff were friendly and helpful but we are not likely to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bentley London is located in Central London. Our combination of delightful Deluxe bedrooms & Suites provide guests with a luxurious choice for their residential requirements. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Bentley London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Bentley Hotel London
- Hilton International London
- The Bentley London England