“Beautiful Bentley” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #248 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Bentley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

stayed at the Bentley for 2 nights on Friday 30th November. It was a special occasion so i looked for a really special hotel . Small not like the large hotels and the rooms looked fantastic,so decided to book the Bentley .Arrived at the Hotel at 10am on the Friday after traveling by train from Lichfield. We regularly stay at the park plaza riverside which to is a nice hotel but large. Arriving at 10am we expected to leave our luggage at hotel and go out until the room would be ready after 2pm. Well what a pleasant surprise from the very moment we pulled up in the taxi. Taxi door was opened and by time i had payed the driver the luggage was in the hotel. I have traveled all over the world but never been made to feel so welcome and special as we were at the Bentley. Staff are fantastic and within minutes Nicholas was on the computer and had found us a room we could have straight away. We were amazed at the service so we were soon in our room.And what beautiful rooms they are . Really large beds decor fantastic ,just about perfect.Bathroom exactly the same .You got the wow factor when you opened the door and put the light's on. And the jacuzzi bath was wonderful ,just put a spot of molton brown in and lye down and feel pampered with the power at the touch of your fingertips. Service at breakfast was also exceptional !!!!!!!!! Would recommend anyone to stay here and we will stay there again.Only 2 small criticisms.When arriving in room Dying for a coffee it took 10 minutes on my hands and knee's trying to plug kettle inas were it was situated in a perfect place by the fridge there was no plug.So had to move everything to a plug in bedroom !!!!!!!!!! Which spoiled the ambiance of the room slightly by having tea tray stuck on a lovely table.And the second one was the bar.After seeing le mis at theatre went back to the hotel expecting to have a leisurely drink and perhaps a chat with a few of the other guests. But it was 11.25pm and the grill on the bar had already been pulled down even though there were people drinking and chatting in there.The barman did open the grill and we were told we could have 1 drink as they were shutting.We ordered a drink but it felt very obvious the barman didnt want us there.And after meeting all the lovely day staff was quite shocked. so it was 1 drink and a very early night.This has not put me off the Bentley but when i go back we will be avoiding the bar unless changes are made. But all in all a fantastic stay and a fantastic hotel ... thank you for looking after us both.

Room Tip: Dont bother with the bar as no drink's after 11.30pm !!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slide01
Sandra A, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Slide01,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments and feedback of your recent visit. Myself and the Team are delighted to have been able to make your visit so special.

Our Bar is known for its warm and cosy athmosphere and I can assure that the service you experienced during your visit is not of the usual standard and the neccesary steps have been taken to avoid any re-occurences.We have also rectified the plug faciltities in the room. Thank you for highlighting these issues and please do accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Sandra Anido,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
Norfolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having booked a 'two for one' offer on the Champagne afternoon tea, we decided to treat ourselves and book a room for the night as well. From start to finish the staff couldn't have been nicer or more friendly and I cant thank them enough for making our stay so enjoyable.

I had put a note on the booking that it was for a 50th birthday celebration and we were informed on arrival that we had been upgraded to a junior suite. As if that wasn't enough, I also received a slice of chocolate cake with our afternoon tea with 'happy birthday' piped on the plate and then room service arrived later in the evening with a large bottle of water, fruit and some truffles.I think my husband was quite ashamed to admit that he couldn't take the credit for ordering any of it!!
We had stayed at another modern 5 star hotel in London the night before, which all though very nice, was totally impersonal and we didn't have contact with any staff at all once we had checked in. The staff at the Bentley couldn't do enough for us. Without any prompting, we were offered umbrellas as it was raining outside, maps of the area and directions if we needed them.
What a contrast!!!
My husband's comment that we didn't receive anywhere near as attentive service when we stayed at the Waldorf on our wedding night (and I was in my wedding dress so they were aware) is what has triggered me to write this review and give credit where credit is due...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sandra A, General Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear AlexDixon,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted you decided to spend your 50th birthday celebration with us and we are glad that we were able to contribute to making this very special occassion so memorable.

We certainly hope that you will choose us as your new London home away from home and that we may look forward to welcoming you back for your next anniversary.

Sandra Anido
Bath England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my second stay in as many months and I am smitten.
1. The bedrooms are opulent with chandeliers , plush carpet and gorgeous marble bathrooms .the quality matches that of , say , the lovely Dorchester.
2. The separate shower is large , marble clad and so powerful.
3. It is as silent as the grave yet a minute away from the tube at Gloucester rd which is on 2 superb lines that criss-cross the capital.
4. The staff were charming and so helpful when we arrived , soaked to the skin.Bags were raced upstairs and arrived before we did.
5. I wish they had a choice of English newspapers rather than bundles of unread Irish ones.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DominicBathEngland
Dear DominicBathEngland,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay once again and thank you for your positive feedback on the Bentley and our services. We have taken note to make sure to offer you a selection of British newspapers for your next visit with us, as we do always have these available for our guests.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Sandra Anido
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Myself and a group of friends decided to have a re-union on Saturday 17th Novemeber 2012 for afternoon tea at The Bentley. My friends had travelled from up north for the occasion. However we were really disappointed!! Once we had arrived (in our sunday best may I add) we were appalled to find that once we got there after having booked three weeks in advance, the Peridot was fully booked for what seemed a baby shower. Instead of being seated in the Peridot room we were shoved thoughtlessly into the hotel lobby!

There were four of us ion our party, and were expected to sit on a low table that we had to pull up extra chairs, we were all squashed on with cutlery falling off the table everywhere. we had to put some of our items onto other furniture near by. Being sat in the hotel lobby with a view of the hotel desk was NOT the experience we were hoping for! Not to mention that once seated, we were made to sit for half an hour surrounded by the baby shower party who were standing around squealing and shouting very loudly as they gathered right where we were made to sit. The hotel staff should have taken them into the room straight away so they did not distract those who were about to begin tea.

The noise from the party (of about 25) were so loud me and my friends could barley hear each other speak! let alone enjoy what was supposed to be a relaxing afternoon tea.

Other bonuses that came with being shoved into the lobby was the dragging of suitcases up to hotel rooms, as well as drafts every time the hotel doors opened!

We asked the waitress whether we could move into another room or a quieter space, however she told us there were no other rooms.... in the whole hotel??? only to discover there was actually a room downstairs that would have been fine.

The tea came out, which was fine, only to discover that due to the large party in the Peridot room, it seemed the rest of us had to resort to cheap white Travelodge cups, instead of the proper teacups that were supposed to match the rest of the chinaware! which really ticked us off to say the least.

THEN came the scones.... well if you could call them that... I'm no scone connoisseur but I can safely say that they were BREAD ROLLS with a few currents, as the texture resembled bread not the crumbly cake like texture that scones are supposed to have.

We were highly disappointed with our experience and good customer service would have seen us sat in another room, or even better to have called us beforehand so that we could have cancelled and paid the few extra pennies to go to the Ritz. Really not happy. For the money you pay I'd advise people to go elsewhere.

1 Thank Rume U
The Bentley Lon... A, Operations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Rume U ,

Firstly, may I extend my sincere apologies for what turned out to be a bad taste to your overall experience for you and your friends.

I have read the comments and I would have felt the same with what came your way.

May I also ensure you that your idea for a perfect afternoon tea is what has been implemented in the current enviourment with a complete change in the Food & Beverage & operational management.

I would hence request you to please give us a new opportunity in order to experience what is considered to be a perfect hospitality and a great afternoon tea with a complete revised standard of service and I hope this will not disappoint you in any form.

Additionally, I will also request you if you could please contact me directly so that I can look after the arrangements personally and simultaneously hope to reinstate your trust in The Bentley.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Kind Regards
Apurv Singh
Operations Manager
Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We recently had a midweek break at this hotel and found it to be an excellent base for visiting many parts of London. The area where the hotel is located is really lovely with beautiful buildings and very quiet. A few minutes walk away are some very convenient shops and more importantly Gloucester Road Tube Station which provided incredibly easy access to wherever you want to go. An Oyster Card is recommended for ease and also it is good value for money. Also within walking distance are both the Natural History and Victoria and Albert Museums. The hotel room was beautifully furnished, quiet and comfortable with a lovely hot powerful shower and jacuzzi bath. Breakfast was varied and served by very pleasant staff. The reception staff were also helpful and welcoming, This hotel is pricey but if you can get a discounted rate it is well worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The Bentley Lon... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Bentley London A Hilton Hotel.

We were delighted to read your positive feedback on this platform. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular comfort of your room and the location of our hotel.

In addition, I have shared your positive comments about our team, this is truly very rewarding and I have shared this with our team.

We are all fully committed to ensure that our service and product are second to none. I do hope that we can expect to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Bentley is a lovely hotel and the tea room is brilliantly decorated (apart from the curtain's hanging of the rail), the perfect place for a lovely tea! However the actual tea did not add up to the surroundings. We arrived, gave our name and were told we had not booked in (not the best first impression!) once this had been cleared up we were shown to our table, which was half laid.

The waitress did not have any knowledge about the tea selection and even asked my friend if she would like milk in her fruit tea. Everything arrived at once and we were expected to use the same plate for all 3 parts of the tea!

They were not forthcoming with offering extra sandwiches, which were fair below the standard you would expect, the bread was cheap and the fillings were even worse, horrid off cuts of black salmon.

I could go on and on about the catalogue of errors we experienced and it's such a shame, if they were to make a few changes it could be made brilliant!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hazJM
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel The Bentley London A Hilton Hotel.

We were pleased to hear you positive feedback on our hotel and its décor. However, I was disappointed to read your afternoon tea experience was not to your satisfaction.

Today I have shared your feedback with both our Head Chef and our Restaurant Manger to ensure that standards are met at all times. Albeit, it is extremely rare that we get negative feedback regarding the quality of our afternoon tea and the standards of service we provide.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Love this hotel, love the location, WI-FI very expensive! South Kensington is my favorite location, if you can afford the hotel it is a must! Walking distance to the tube and all that London has to offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The Bentley Lon... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Bentley London, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your positive comments about us and is truly rewarding and I have shared this with our team.