“Ideal for the O2 arena”

Ibis London Excel Docklands
Ranked #476 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We picked the hotel as had read it was in a good location for the O2, and it certainly is, easily reached by one of the cable cars or by jumping on the DLR. The hotel itself is good value for money, clean, the rooms were spacious enough considering its a budget hotel. The staff were all very friendly, although we hadn't pre-booked breakfast, and the guy who then took our payment in the morning didn't really have a clue what he was doing and it took ages but he was nice enough. As for breakfast itself, I wouldn't give them the money again, was totally not worth it. Really small selection, and the food itself was average, the scrambled eggs were like rubber. Coffee machine also wouldn't work. Wish we hadn't wasted our money, but never mind. Would have likely given the hotel a 'very good' rating if breakfast hadn't let it down.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ibisexcel, Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Ibis London Excel Docklands. I am pleased to read that you found the location convenient for your visit in O2 arena and the stay valuable for the money. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Short family break to London at beginning of July to do a bit of sightseeing and go to concert at O2 Arena in Greenwich. Chose Ibis Excel Docklands for location and value. Turned out to be the ideal location for access to the O2 with easy access via short walk to the Emirates Airline cable car station which takes you across the river to the O2. Easy and simple journet to London via Docklands Railway and tube to all attractions in the city. Hotel was clean, simple, comfortable and did the job.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Graham A
ibisexcel, Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Ibis London Excel Docklands. I am glad to read that you have had an enjoyable stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Having had a great experience at the Ibis Euston hotel I was looking forward to this stay. Overall the hotel was in good condition and with a unique layout quite interesting. Only issue I have is the breakfast, myself and the wife came down on Sunday 14th July at 8am to find it busy no complaints for that. Whilst waiting to get a plate my wife went to get a table only to find approx 7 tables full of dirty dishes etc to which one of the reception chaps had to come and help out as there were only 2 staff in the restaurant. I also had to wait approx. 6mins for a plate and cutlery and then a further couple of mins for some of the food.

In other hotels I have stayed at breakfast is normally good with a choice of eggs i.e. fried ,scrambled, boiled etc but here they had scrambled and no other choice. To add to the already pathetic breakfast the coffee machines were not working until we had finished eating by this time I was not impressed.

When checking out I was asked about my stay of which I replied "overall the stay hotel wise was great , breakfast was a joke". The lady who I spoke to spoke to her manager who agreed there was a problem on that morning and refunded me in full for the breakfasts of which I was grateful.

All in all the location was great and the overall stay was great just off put by the frantic breakfast, lets hope my next stay at the Birmingham Airport Ibis a better experience. As I work in the travel industry I stay in many hotels and this was so far the most annoying.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to share your feedback following your stay with us. Your comments in regards to breakfast have been noted by entire team. And we are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next visit in London.

Lara Girdauskaite

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights this July. The hotel was in a good location for the price,not too far from the city centre.

Room was a good size, clean and tidy. I wasn't to keen on the bathroom style, reminded me of airline bathrooms, quite cramped, with plastic sink. That being said, shower worked well.

Breakfast was a busy affair but staff kept the hot buffet well topped up, good choice of cereals, and the continental option was also provided.

Staff were very helpful, always keen to help.

Please be aware, travelling to the city everyday can be expensive, Oyster cards are ideal, and most probably it would be worthwhile to buy an unlimited ticket. We had to top up several times in 5 days.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to share your feedback following your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel in good location and value for the price.
I am happy to hear that the team took good care of you, and we all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Only stayed one night but thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Common areas bright & airy. My room was very clean & functional although not many channels on the TV. Bathroom small & pod like but suited its purpose with a large walk in shower. Soap was in a dispenser on the wall & I found it a little hard to get the soap out especially with wet hands!
Lovely view from my room over the docks towards the O2 & cable car.
Area very quiet & relaxing with a Nisa & Tesco 2 minute walk away. Place across the road for breakfast charging £4.95 which was half the price of the hotel's. Having said that I had the breakfast & was very impressed with how the staff kept on top of things despite there being 3 coach parties. Food was constantly topped up & the selection included hot bacon, sausage, egg etc, fresh fruit, cereal, hams & cheeses, mini french sticks & bagels as we as bread for toast & croissant & danish pastries. A machine provided a variety of different coffees with a wide selection of teabags available.
The Novotel is attached to the hotel & shares one of the lifts so beware which way you get out!
The Excel is a 2 minute walk away & there is a little history to the area from when it was an important dock.
Transport links to London/O2 are just up the road.
Happy to recommend this hotel in a very unique position- close to London but almost in a world of its own!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water & not only do you get a view of the O2 & cable car but...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Ibis London Excel- Docklands. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our breakfast and team took good care of you. I am looking forward to welcoming you back on the next trip to London.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked early in the year and obtained an excellent price. We like your hotel: the staff were helpful, friendly and well-mannered. Our room was clean and comfortable; in a heat wave we were nevertheless comfortably cool there. Breakfast was very good with a wide variety of choice, well-cooked and presented. We even liked the music! Thanks for a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Ibis London Excel Docklands for your visit in London. I am pleased to read that we met your expectations and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Booked two rooms for two nights whilst in London - the rooms were pretty basic but clean enough although one room smelt of smoke even though all rooms were all non-smoking, so we kept the window right open and eventually the smell faded. The beds were comfortable but we did not receive any fresh towels in one of the rooms and our used towels were removed, so we were left with none. The reception staff were rude and unhelpful, the bar staff made you feel as though you were an inconvenience to them when ordering food and drinks. But on the plus side, the hotel couldn't be better located for the O2 Arena (as long as you are OK with heights as the cable car is pretty high). The surrounding area is OK, with a couple of mediocre bars/hotels and restaurants. Would I go back...maybe, but only because of the location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends