“OK stay despite the renovations!”

Ibis London Excel Docklands
Ranked #476 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while attending a conference at the Excel in February. The refurbishment was still going on downstairs so there were no facilities available other than my room. Like other reviews have said this wasn’t mentioned or advertised when I booked the room so I was annoyed at this especially as no apologies or discounts were offered.

The room was perfectly fine, clean and large enough for one person and I had a view overlooking the Thames. Breakfast was served in the adjacent Novatel during my stay and the quality of this was fine although the buffet style only had very small plates on offer which I found strange seeing as though you could just go back up and have a 2nd or 3rd plateful.

The hotel is ideally placed for the Excel, only 100 metres or so away door to door.
The nightlife is centred around the other hotel bars and the Fox at the excel pub which if you turn right out of the hotel door and then look left as you reach the excel steps is not far away. Beer is around £3.80 a pint and bar food meals at between £8 and £15 are served all day. I ate here on the first night while watching the football and it was perfectly adequate ‘pub grub’. The second night I decided to try the Chinese Karaoke bar for food, just along the road from the fox. This was really busy for a Tuesday night and after eating I could see why as the food was very good. I and a colleague had the 2 person set meal, which I can definitely recommend at £18.50 each.

Located very near is the emirates sky ride across the Thames to the o2, I did intend to go on the second night but after two long days at the conference couldn’t summon up the energy! I was told that it cost £6 each way and there is a lot of nightlife around the o2.

As for the hotel I would have probably given it 4 or even 5 if it wasn’t for the secret renovation taking place as I had no other complaints about it and would use it again when next attending an event at the Excel as long as the renovations are complete!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Tim,
I am pleased to confirm that our refurbishment of all public areas was complete on 04th March 2013 to the new standards of ibis. Please accept my personal apologies for any inconvenience caused and I have taken on board your comments. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience our new public areas and our new concept in the bar and restaurant. Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 19, 2013

ExCeL isn't the easiest place to get to so when I come down here I tend to stay at least one night and I normally choose the Ibis at the west end of ExCeL. It's literally a few minutes walk from the doors of ExCeL and has recently had the public areas remoddled. During show times it's always fairly busy but check-in was uneventful and I got to my room to find a totally "standard" Ibis room with the bathroom pod.

Personally, I quite like the bathroom pod as it only has a shower but the shower is quite powerful and spacious and much nicer than a shower over the bath that you get at a lot of hotels where the curtain attacks you!

The air-conditioning worked well and although the TV isn't large by today's standards and takes a frustratingly long time to do anything - it showed me tv pictures that I could hear so it did what it was supposed to!

Ironing facilities are via an ironing room where there are a couple of ironing boards and irons set up. I would imagine at busy times this can be a little crowded so I tend to iron as soon as I've checked in to avoid that.

The bed was comfy and the room was quiet enough through the night for a light sleeper like me.

Room Tip: The 01/02/03 rooms on each floor are opposite the lifts so if you're a light sleeper you might w...

Dear Earltubthumper,
As a frequent traveller, I am pleased to read that your expectations were met during your recent stay with us. Feedback from our guests is important to us in order to ensure that our standards are met.
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with fellow travellers and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Excellent Service from young Reception Staff..Couldn't do enough for you..arranged taxi/stored luggage etc etc. Meals in Resteraunt were great considering it was late too when we arrived.Minutes walk from Station and Excel which was great.Views of the Docklands were lovely. Only let down was the smell of what appeared to be poor drainage..in the en-suite bathroom!..

Room Tip: Room over Docks lovely..IBIS Hotels on either side of the Station..Make Sure you get the right one n...
1  Thank Andre H

Dear Andrebo55,
Thank you for your positive comments about the welcome and service you received from the staff during your stay. I have taken note of your comments with regards to the bathroom for follow up.
Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you back in the near future. With regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is 150m from the ExCel Exhibition Centre with easy access to the O2. But the cable cars only run till 8pm! The tube stop is a few minutes walk away.

Rooms were clean, and adequate. However general maintenance was poor. My wife was "bitten" by a broken toilet seat! Nevertheless, the problem was rectified with a new toilet seat replacement with an hour. But the cleaners came knocking on the doors very early in the morning wishing to clean room.

Breakfast spread was good, but it took a long time to replenish food! We had a pleasant 2-night stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Allan P,
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the ibis product. I have taken note of your comments and I apologise for the issue with the toilet seat which was rectified. Thank for staying at ibis London ExCeL-Docklands and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
With regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 15, 2013

For it's location Excel, brilliant. Parking in the Novotel next door was invaluable and reasonably priced for London.

Room was OK, storage a little lacking. Leaving the window open overnight meant we heard everything, including the boy racers outside. Air con is a bit noisy.

We were only made aware that the hotel restaurant was closed on our arrival, despite the booking had been made some months in advance. This also made the reception very crowded and awkward to get through at busy times

Pricey broadband. More affordable Wifi only available if you have american express. Handy selection of convenience shops nearby. DLR about 300m from hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank The_Rhos

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Our refurbishment of public areas was complete on 04th March 2013 and I apologise for any inconvenience caused whilst we were offering the services of bar and restaurant at Novotel next door. I do hope that you will return in the near future in order to experience our refurbished public areas. Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel lobby was refurbishing no service at all
Payed room for 2 adult and a kid I mean a couple and a child they gave me a room with 3 single bed
I ask to change and the second room was stinking I do not recommend

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Marcio-Alves,
I am disappointed to read that you encountered issues during your recent visit with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the refurbishment which was completed on 04th March 2013.
Kind regards, Brian Opauka

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel was ok a room was dockside on 5th floor and we had the window ajar, noisy drunks on the restaurant terrace (3rd floor?) below kept waking us up the last time at around 3am even though the restaurant allegedly shut at 2am.

Twin room for two but towels and toiletries only supplied for one and they were a bit mean with the drinks in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front away from the dockside
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ibisexcel, General Manager at Ibis London Excel Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Gill,
I am disappointed to read that you encountered noise issues from outside which somewhat confuses me.
Our restaurant closes at 11pm and our bar at 1am but both located on the ground floor with no outdoor seating. Ibis rooms do not have minibar so not sure about the comments referring to drinks in the room.
However, as for towels, all our bedrooms are for double occupancy and should have two towels. We will always do our utmost to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and hassle free stay and our 24 hour reception will be more than happy to assist with any issues our guests may experience during their stay.
In order for me to investigate and fully understand the comments, please do contact me on
H3655-GM@accor.com to avoid future occurance for other guests. With regards, Brian Opauka