“Nothing exceptional!”

Ranked #376 of 1,063 Hotels in London
West Sussex
“Nothing exceptional!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Wasn't blown away by this version of Holiday Inn Express; I managed to acquire a good deal on the room and breakfast but some things weren't up to snuff! When we arrived, the computer system was running slow so we couldn't book in straight away and when we did, I was asked if my wife and I wanted two single beds! I asked for - and got - a double bed. The bed, as I've found in other Holiday Inn Expresses, was a little spongy and unfortunately the sleep we had wasn't too brilliant. Breakfast was fine, a little on the cheap side but fine and you could have as much as you like. Decor a bit basic but this an 'Express' sub-contracted out by Holiday Inn and not a Holiday Inn itself. If I'd been the charged the £225 per night shown on the rates board behind the reception desk, I would have demanded a 50% refund. At least. I know London is overpriced but this is robbery! Hotel is located near Limehouse station where a few eateries lie and you are between the City and London City Airport, so not badly located. I won't be using a Holiday Inn Express again though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ExLimehouse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mushatalantayyy

Thank you for submitting this review following your stay at Holiday Inn Express London Limehouse. I was disappointed to read that you didn't have a satisfactory experience at our hotel. Much time and effort goes into ensuring that our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stays. I am sorry that on this occasion many of these points were found wanting, however, I will be taking this feedback to remedy the shortcomings that you have mentioned.

We are aware that there is much on offer when it comes to choosing lodging - I truly hope that this stay doesn't discourage you from returning to Holiday Inn Express London Limehouse or any other Express within our brand family inn the near future.

Many thank once again

Damien Le-Hoste

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hotel has great location - you can take a great walk along the river to the Tower. Great place if you want to visit the city with easy access to City Airport.
Hotel is quite big, rooms are fine but price of wifi is rather a scandal - some horrible 10GBP or more? ( Ican't remember exactly). It is absolute disaster.
Hotel is quite noisy, it is located by the noisy street so better ask for a room far away from the street.
Breakfasts are of poor variety.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank maxima20
ExLimehouse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear maxima20

Thank you very much for taking the time and the trouble to write a Tripadvisor review for Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse.

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with my wife.the staff, from the moment we checked in to when we checked out, could not have been more helpful and always had a smile for the 4 days we were there....it is only a 5 to 10 minute walk/stroll to the DLR which was great for us as we had people to meet in stratford shopping centre only a few 5 minutes on the dlr and not too far from the city either, so to me it is very central without paying the city centre prices!!...I have seen people saying the staff were not nice but we found different..again very helpful and friendly..maybe we just got them on a few good days?...we would defiantly stay here again!!

• Stayed January 2013
ExLimehouse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Munster-all-the-way

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your stay. I'm so pleased that you had a favourable experience. It’s really heartening to read a review like this given the hard work our team put in to offer-up fine service. I will be making the team aware of your comments. I was particularly happy to read your comments about the hotel being 'Central without paying central prices' and you are correct that we are only 5 minutes from the Limehouse DLR which makes London’s touristic trail very accessible.

We know that there is much on offer when it comes to choosing lodging in London so we are grateful that you have chosen us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express London Limehouse in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have never seen a hotel of this nature with no fridge in the room!! Just because London is so cold doesn't mean I might not like a cold drink. Other than that the facilities of the room were acceptable, but nothing special. Also had to ask for toiletries - nothing supplied except for toothbrushes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ExLimehouse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Doug-HHB

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. However, please kindly be informed, it’s not a Holiday Inn Express standard to supply a refrigerator in guest bedrooms. Furthermore, whilst we do provide ‘forgot something items’, it is a Holiday Inn Express standard to dispense these items from reception on a request only basis.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

OK, holiday inns are not the best and I know they are more used for people on a budget ot for just a night when you are stuck... I booked in here for 2 nights as i thought it was located very close to my work (but it wasnt)..... anyway, upon arrival I was informed that there was no restaurant facilities and if I wanted to eat I could order a take away and they will give me a knife and fork!, I did not opt for this so the first evening I took a walk to Canary Wharf which in all honesty was about 25mins by foot away, there was nothing local to the hotel so on the 2nd night it was easier to just get a Twix from the vending machine and have that as my evening meal!!!
Breakfast was awfull, as there is no restaurant I am presuming they serve microwave sausages, I personaly took one look at the selection and left as fast as I could.
The bar ran out of beer, both draft and bottled... they did not have Brandy and I finished off the last of the bottle of wine - seriously the fridges were empty and the selection of spirirts was minimal.
The room was very basic, yes it was clean but nothing to write home about.
On a plus the staff seem really attentive and polite and they make an awful hotel more bearable if you speak to them...
My rate was £70 per night, cheap for London but deffinetly not worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Vodkamonster24

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback following your stay at Holiday Inn Express London Limehouse. I'm saddened to hear that you found the facilities to be unsatisfactory and that you had to walk 25 minutes to Canary Wharf to get something to eat. The team are well versed with what is on offer within walking distance of the hotel and we would normally offer Narrow Street as an alternative to a take away as this area is 5 minutes walk from the hotel and boast three really good neighbourhood eateries, of which, Gordon Ramsey’s The Narrow is one. I apologise if this was missed out on your visit. We are aware of the evening where beer and sprit’s requested were also unavailable and I would like to assure you that this was transitory as we ran out and were waiting for stock to be delivered - I would hasten to add that this was an extraordinary situation.

I would like to thank you for your frank review. Reviews such as this enable us to focus on areas where we need to focus attention and I would like to assure you that these comments will be used to better the way we operate.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Ok let's get the negatives out 1st
• not brilliant location
That's it

However a 5 min walk down ' narrow street' and you got Gordon ramseys and sir Ian Mcceallans restaraunts both lovely.
15-20 min walk to canary wharf and I found that there are lovely restraints and two shopping malls and great scenery.

The hotel itself i got a great deal for under £30 a night the room was spacious clean and had all hotel amenities you would get in a HIEX hotel. Staff were friendly and very helpful with directions.

The limehouse dlr tube is 5 mins walk away with connections to the city centre or anywhere else you want to go.

Breakfast is adiquite all I needed for a good start. Quite English and not much selection however I can't complain as I don't each much.

The room had a great shower and great bed

All in all loved it!

• Stayed January 2013
ExLimehouse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear ChrisM2013

We’re extremely pleased that our hotel lived up to your expectations. Though we would prefer our location was more to your liking, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

I will certainly share your comments with the team who I know will be delighted to hear that their efforts have been recognised.

New Orleans
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We booked this room for 75 GBP for one night in November. I was in charge of finding the hotel and if you've looked for rooms in London, they're outrageously expensive. It looked clean and a Trip Advisor review said it was in the "shadow of the Tower Bridge". I'm thinking nearby, somewhere that we could at least walk to the bridge, Tower of London, and those sites. It absolutely wasn't. We walked for nearly an hour to reach this hotel from the tube stop that we were told was closest (due to closures for construction on the lines) only to find when we got there that the more convenient spot hadn't been closed yet at all. Not the hotel's fault, but we felt extremely lost considering we didn't feel as though we were in the city of London at all, but in the suburbs. It's in an area near/called the Canary Wharf. I hear there's nice dining, but we didn't explore that...we spent a lot of time trying to get to the parts of London we had intended to see in the short 24 hours-ish we had before our flight back to the US.

The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was satisfactory...just what you'd expect, I suppose. The bar had draft beer and several liquor/mixed drink options, which was nice. The hotel faces some kind of plant which is rather unsightly and loud.

The rooms were very clean and they had food delivery options (Indian, Pizza, and Chinese, I believe). We definitely took advantage of that after a long day of walking. I didn't feel very safe walking from even the close metro station to this hotel in the dark (and being winter, it was dark early).

This hotel is also not far from where many of the Jack the Ripper walking tours begin (maybe Aldgate Station?), so there's another "attraction" in the area. Wish I could've gone, but my legs just couldn't handle a 90 minute walking tour at this point in our trip.

A cab to Heathrow also cost us $120 for two people...for that extra $120 we easily could've booked a FAR nicer room with cheaper options (some certainly have shuttles) or easier access to the airport.

Overall, I'd say if you have your own transportation or have someone to drive you around, it's not bad considering the price. The hotel and staff are very nice, it's just the location and cost of getting to the airport. It's a scenic drive, though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ExLimehouse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Limehouse, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Holly T

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our location did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.