“Fantastic staff and great restaurant”
Review of Malmaison London

Malmaison London
Ranked #226 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Had a lovely time at the Malmaison. Beautiful surroundings, friendly staff and their restaurant was great!

We took advantage of the lobster, steak and Prosecco deal. Great value for money and ideal location for the West End.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Malmaison L, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. We're delighted you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the restaurant also. We hope to welcome you back to the Mal soon.
Best Wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Malmaison London for the first time on Saturday 16th. The staff were very pleasant throughout the hotel, in particular the staff at Strip Bar & Steak downstairs. The hotel was beautiful and in a perfect location for what we had planned to see while we were in London. I would have given 5 stars had it not been for the slow check-in and check-out process and the teeny double bed in our club room.

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your detailed review following your stay with us. It is with this feedback that we are able to constantly improve our service and offerings so that in the future we can exceed your expectations with the perfect Mal experience.

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

My partner surprised me with a weekend break at the malmaison London and it was utterly faultless.
The staff were all very smartly dressed and extremely polite, helpful and informative.
The reception area sets the tone of the entire hotel- contemporary, clean, modern and beautifully decorated.
The attention to detail both in looks and service was faultless.
We had a superior double room which again was beautiful- definitely geared up towards couples- muted colours and many textures- and a rather nice touch of massage oil in the bathroom!
The bar area was absolutely lovely- as was the friendly barman.
The bed was so comfy- as were the pillows and duvet.
The downstairs cocktail bar and restaurant area was again- stunning- bare brick walls set against comfy booths and velvet chairs- black gloss tables and very contemporary lighting. Service was again faultless and the breakfast buffet was lovely. My partner and I also chose from the menu- he had little breakfast baps and I chose the eggs benedict- fresh, well presented and the staff were very attentive throughout.
The hotel was in a lovely quiet location - a two minute walk from the barbican tube station so perfect for hopping on into the heart of the city in minutes.
An absolutely perfect weekend and would wholeheartedly recommend this stunning hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne J

Dear Joanne,
Thank you for your complete review of the hotel. We are delighted that you had such a fabulous weekend and hope that it's not too long until your partner can surprise you again!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

So many London hotels are either small and substandard or large and impersonal. At Malmaison we were impressed by the size of our room in a small hotel, the friendliness and professionalism of the staff (we sat down to be checked in - no standing in line behind a counter) The staff knew who we were by name - no one asked for our room number once. There was a delay in getting after dinner coffee & drinks but they put this right by not charging us. We didn't ask for this and we hadn't really noticed the delay. The food was excellent and the room very comfortable and we could examine the snacks etc in the minibar without being charged for them. The shower was brilliant. We were sad to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for a room ending "02"
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent stay with us. We are disappointed not to have met your expectations in terms of serving the coffee, although very pleased to hear that this did not affect your excellent stay with us. We do hope that we can welcome you back the London Mal soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I must have walked past this dozens of times but didn’t realise it was a hotel. Great location just near to Barbican and Farringdon tube stations and it’s a very quiet area (especially at the weekend).
Typically cool Malmaison type rooms, big for London hotels with really good sized comfortable beds. Showers are great, and the whole atmosphere is very relaxing. Staff are easy to deal with and very helpful, and the bar area is well laid out and not overly expensive.
Would definitely stay again – plenty to see around the area and lots of good places to eat / drink.
Don't know if we got a special deal but the price was comparable to a budget chain - and it's obviously a lot better than this.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We're delighted that you finally came inside the hotel after years of walking past and thank you for your recommendation. We hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Let me begin the review by stating that Malmaison is a nice hotel, and overalI I enjoyed my stay there during the week of 10th - 15th August. My room (double) was a good size, tastefully furnished, and very comfortable. The staff were also nice, and the barman at the top bar was a great character and very likeable.

So, why 3 stars? Simple: the breakfast. That may sound like a harsh reduction in points, but hear me out. The "continental breakfast" (if ever a term was misused it is here) is VERY poor, and consists of very sweet breads (croissants covered in sugar glaze) and cereal, in addition to some fruit and juices. There is NO regular unsweetened/unglazed bread (or rolls) that you can cut yourself (who on earth thinks everyone wants to eat sickly sweet pastries for breakfast?), boiled eggs, no cold meats, and no cheese. This is for a breakfast that costs...yes, wait for it... £15! Come on guys, that is simply not on, and well below par in terms of expected quality in a hotel of this class, and I have been to many cheaper hotels which supply all of the above for much less.

That brings me neatly to their pricing structure. At Malmaison there are basically two price classes of breakfast... £15 and £20. While £20 gets you a full English breakfast, the sausages used were very poor, tasting like those cheap and mushy Richmond ones. For twenty of Her Royal Majesty's pounds I expect not to have to notice the quality of such a pivotal part of an English breakfast as the sausages.

So, everything else on the menu is £15. That includes egg and soldiers... this is essentially one piece of toast cut into strips, with a single boiled egg. For £15. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. To rub salt into the wound of my colleague who ate it, the egg was overcooked to the point where the yolk could not be dipped into by the toast, thus defeating the point of the dish. For fifteen pounds that is simply unforgivable to screw up something so basic, and management really need to look at the pricing scheme of the food, as to be frank they are quite simply taking the mick and hoping no-one will notice or speak up. The quality simply does not match the price tag they charge.

On top of this, I was served OFF MILK one morning, and when I say "off"... I mean completely sour and turned, and I took a good swig before I realized and almost brought it backup again. Knowing from long experience how long it takes milk to go off, one can only assume that the same milk is repeatedly brought out to the tables for breakfast, and then put back in the fridge, and then brought back the next morning. Either way this should NEVER happen, and from that moment I had to sniff the milk each morning before I used it, as I simply did not trust it. That is a big black mark in my book, and represents a huge lack of oversight on whoever was dealing with breakfast that morning, not to mention the management that allow milk to be repeatedly brought in and out of the fridge after being out on the tables for a full breakfast period. I was not impressed to say the least.

That is how I justify removing two stars from my rating, because for me breakfast is how I face the day, and if I have an unsatisfactory breakfast each morning then it ensures that the day does not start off on a positive note. Sorry Malmaison, but it really let you down.

Room Tip: Get a double, they are a good size
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Randomindividual

Dear Rich,
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We were disappointed to learn that we had fallen short with regards to your breakfast and therefore were very happy to remove this from your bill on check-out. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and take all your comments very seriously, and use these to help improve our service and offering to guests.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves to you in the future.