“Very Hard Bed”
Review of Malmaison London

Malmaison London
Ranked #250 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night and being honest the place is a little tired, however it is due a refurbishment in August this year (2013)
The food was excellent as was the staff, the only real problem was the beds are terribly hard, i'm a very well traveled businessman and have not slept in a bed like it, i did ask reception was there an alternative but sadly not.
Would recommend if you liek a hard bed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
deven s, Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us. We are currently trailing different mattresses ready for our refurbishment that will take place this summer. Should you return before this has been completed please contact me so I can ensure that we allocate you a room with a different mattress which I'm confident you will find more than comfy.

Be sure to try our breakfast next time - Our eggs benedict are amazing.

My contact details are receptionmgr.london@malmaison.com

On behalf of all the team at Malmaison we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a bit more MAL life.

Deven

There are newer reviews for Malmaison London

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I very much enjoyed my week stay at Malmaison. We were welcomed by the front desk staff and were very quickly checked in to our room. As we were very tired we ate at the restaurant downstairs. The food was great! I would also highly recommend Sunday brunch as well. So, many choices and all of them tasty.

The hotel is a few minute walk from the Barbicon station, so getting to around London was easy. The room was very nice and included wi-fi. An added bonus was the witty sense of humor of the signage throughout the hotel.

I would have liked easier access to a printer for boarding passes, etc. however, the staff was very accommodating in printing off whatever we needed.

Overall, I had a lovely time and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that our great Sunday brunch was enjoyable.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love this hotel if needing to stay near the City. It's become a home from home for me, such a pleasant place to stay and an easy place to work also. The restaurant is also worth a visit although there's plenty of other options around, not least La Marche just next door. Rooms can be a bit pricey depending on when you book but well worth it.

Room Tip: Try to grab a room facing Charterhouse Square.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed for 1 night for a wedding and the room was excellent and facilities etc. The breakfast was very good with a wide variety of choice. Wish we had stayed longer!! We were allowed an extra hour for checkout with no charge which is most unusual. A very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Mal for the 2013 FA cup final, took three rooms for a couple, two teenagers and my eldely dad. Excellent throughout, very good staff and breakfast was excellent - typical 'Mal' style. The square is free of traffic so no typical London noises to disturb us. Great bar areas.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here the night before my wedding, in the largest suite in the hotel (Square Suite) in order to ensure I had enough room for my bridal party to get ready the next morning. The staff were extremely helpful and I received a lovely card and cupcakes congratulating me on my wedding which was a very nice touch. The room and bathroom were spacious and luxurious and we had enough room to accommodate everyone without too much trouble.

Overall I am very happy with my choice to stay overnight in the Suite, but the Mal is really let down by the breakfasts. Due to the wedding timings I had to eat at 7am, and as breakfast in the restaurant doesn't start until 8am and they were unable to serve me anything earlier, I had to go for the continental breakfast delivered to my room. This consisted of a bowl of cornflakes, a bit of fruit, a yoghurt and four triangles of inedible, untoasted, stale brown bread and jams.

Considering this costs around £16 it is extremely poor value for money and was insufficient for what I needed (i.e. something substantial to keep me going until the afternoon). I ended up having to ask the bridesmaid to pick something else up for me en route (I didn't have time to start complaining to the hotel). I've stayed at many Malmaisons before and had the continental breakfast a couple of times, but I was surprised at just how miserly this particular offering was.

So overall - a great stay which was let down by the breakfast. My family who were also staying in the hotel had a great breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, so it's the 'in-room' offerings this hotel needs to work on.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank musicalsock

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us and please let me assure you that I will be highlighting the comments regarding the in room breakfast to see if we can improve this moving forward. In the meantime if you are local to the hotel or find yourself in London breakfast in the restaurant is on us.

Please contact me if you wish to take advantage of this dmadge@malmaison.com

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed at Malmaison to be in Islington/Clerkenwell area where my friend has jewelry gallery Lesley Craze Gallery. Fantastic location! Landed in Heathrow and took the Express train. Pricey but very convenient and easy to negotiate. Ticket sales people are there to greet you with mobile cash registers. Called hotel to make reservations but was not informed about taxi service that they use. That became a problem since my companion left his laptop in cab we hailed at Piccadilly. Never did get the laptop back and we found the desk somewhat sympathetic but not forthcoming with how we should proceed, who to contact etc. The hotel looks like it was once quite mod, but is a bit run down. Very clean and rooms are comfortable with very good amenities and quiet square location. Funky downstairs bar was a nice touch. Our room had no view, but it didn't matter as we were very busy while in London. Quiet square.

Room Tip: If a view matters ask for one. We asked for a quiet room and we got what we asked for.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us. The hotel is planning a major refurbishment hopefully commencing in August this year including all bedrooms, public areas and our bar and brassiere.