“Very Good Value For What You Get In London”
Review of Malmaison London

Malmaison London
Ranked #250 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and found the hotel to be clean and very quiet for a London hotel which is a massive plus. We'd booked a superior room and after a very smooth check in, we found the room to be spacious and lighter than most Malmaison hotels (those of you who have stayed in a Mal before will know what I mean).

Breakfast was plentiful and service was swift and efficient. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and again, service was swift and friendly.

Not a criticism, more an observation; we stayed here a number of years ago and the place, including the bar, was packed, however now it has the feel of a place down on it's luck, a little unloved and tired.

You can pay £150 per night for a dive in London but for a little bit more you get so much more at this Mal. You can walk to Covent Garden in about 30 minutes and park outside the hotel for £20 for 24 hours, which, yet again for London is a bargain.

Will certainly be back again.

Room Tip: It's pay and display outside but the machine takes debit cards
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We will be refurbishing the hotel later this year and in the meantime we continue with our in house decoration to maintain the hotel.

On behalf of all the team at Malmaison we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a bit more MAL life.

Dean Madge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,559)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Bit of a mixture really. Asked for quiet room and got one, not easy in London. Was able to leave luggage before check in time so we could go out. Reception staff very helpful. Different yes!, but differnet enough, not really! Also some things could be done so much better. On returning to our room on day 2 at 3;30 it had not been cleaned, bed unmade , no more tea/coffee etc. When we asked about this we were told it wasn't being done!! After a 'discussion' it was.Breakfast a real disappointment. Despite 6 staff on duty, no butter for toast (had to ask), jam/marmalade stand half empty on all tables, tea cold, asked for mushrooms, bacon and tomatoe, got 1 mushroom and a piece of black pudding, 1 rasher bacon and a few tomatoes. Had much better breakfasts in B+Bs. Still room was comfortable and quiet and bed really comfy - so as I say, bit of a mixture!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was disappointed to read the comments regarding breakfast and I can assure I will be addressing these points with the team. Due to us not delivering in this area I would be delighted to provide you with breakfast, with our compliments next time you stay with us.
With regards to the accommodation comments I will personally speak to housekeeping and reception to find out why this happened.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My London office is a 5 min walk from the hotel, I stay here pretty much every week. It's like a home away from home for me, the staff are very friendly and always greet me like an old friend. It makes a great base for meeting clients and I have also used the meetings a few times which were great. I'm always confident that when I arrive the service will be spot on, which is why I also stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Recently, I traveled to London to present at a conference for work. I was only on the ground in London for 30 hours or so. I chose this hotel because it was recommended by the conference organizers and it's proximity to the conference location.

I was really disappointed. It lacked anything that would make it functional to a business traveler - no business center, so no ability to print documents, wifi was complicated to connect to, etc. Additionally, because my trip was so short, I hadn't packed any of my typical travel meds (tylenol, etc.). When i woke in the middle of the night with a splitting headache and called down to the front desk, they had none to offer and no solution on where I could get any at that time. The front desk person was less than helpful.

My room was freezing cold even after fiddling with the in room thermostat.

Otherwise, the room was certainly a decent size and nicely appointed. But there are so many other wonderful hotels in London, I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone traveling on business.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was disappointed to read that you have decided not to stay with us in the future. Although we do not offer a business centre we can provide some elements of this such as faxing, meeting rooms, printing emails and photocopying. Our Wifi connection is usually easy to connect to so I do apologise if this was not the case for you. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and if you should wish to give us this opportunity please do so with me. My contact details are dmadge@malmaison.com

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have just spent a Saturday night at Malmaison London with my sister. We booked on the hotel's own website and felt we were getting very good value for money at about £120 B&B including a free cocktail. It was touch and go whether we would make it as the snow was falling thick and fast. But as we had tickets for Simon McBurney's 'The Master and Margarita' being performed at the Barbican we were not to be put off.
The hotel is very glamerous for the price and we felt like VIPs on checking in. We were not disappointed with a good sized twin room on the 4th floor with views across a gated park (covered in snow).
The hotel is well positioned for the Barbican, about a 5 min brisk walk. Also within walking distance of the River Thames and St Pauls Cathedral. There is a fab little Italian restaurant around the corner but I am loathe to give out its location for fear of not being able to get a table or worse, it modernising due to popularilty.
Breakfast inlcuded in our deal was delicious, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon enough for a small family and a delectible buffet with great choice, Oh yes and STRONG tea.
The mixed feelings however come from an horendous experience in the Bar/Brasserie on our return from the theatre. The bar was heaving with a multitude of drunks who appeared to be staying at the hotel and when my sister and I arrived and ordered drinks and toasted sandwiches the waiter seemed to group us with the revellers. He was very rude and then proceeded to spill an entire glass of white wine in my lap!!!!! The bar snacks were inedible and we decided to call it a day and not ruin what had been a great evening. So we left and went to our room.
The other little small gripe being that with all the gorgeous toiletries in the en-suites and so much attention to detail - thin hard loo paper??? whats that about?? or am I being too picky now. All in all I think we were unlucky with our experience, its a great hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read on the whole that you enjoyed your time with us.

Please let me know if you incurred any dry cleaning costs as I would like to reimburse you for this. I will certainly feedback the comments to the bar team.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked an overnight stay to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. ad the lovely surprise of being upgraded Our room was spacious and immaculate with a birthday card waiting and yummy cupcake. lso the homemade biccies on the reception desk were a nice touch and irresistible. e enjoyed dinner in the brasserie with great service from Andre (hope I got your name right) who was charming. he hotel is stylish with a sexy atmosphere, lots of low lighting and rich colours. The area is great to wander round, lots of history and good transport links. We will definitely return

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aliWitneyOxon
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Review of Malmaison

Other reviews have described Mal as shabby. I disagree, the wearing around the edges gives it a homely feel, a relaxing contrast to the deep luxurious red-and-dark chic. Without it the hotel may feel a little alienating, with it it feels welcoming.
The reception staff were friendly and welcoming, and being confronted by slate of homemade biscuits on the reception counter with the direction "Diets not allowed" added to the friendly welcoming atmosphere - and they were delicious.
My room was fine. Not too small, not to hot or cold, a huge bed that was wonderfully comfortable, a TV with a reasonable selection of channels. Tea and coffee making facilities were hidden in the cupboard. My only disappointment was a lack of more homely treats - homemade cookies or flapjacks would have been lovely, rather than the paltry packet of commercial (albeit posh commercial) biscuits. I did feel that, for the money you pay, complimentary water and other "gifts" would not have been too much to ask. Great coffee though.
The toiletries are complimentary and you are encouraged to take them with you. The bath was incredibly deep and the shower had good pressure. Hot water was in abundance.
For dinner I headed to the brasserie at 630pm, service started as prompt but did become a little more slack as the meal went on. The staff were very friendly and professional. My lobster burger was a poor choice - a bit bland, frankly, even with the mango salsa - but the dessert of chocolate fondant with caramel ice cream on a little honeycomb shard redeemed the chef. It took a lot of effort for me not to lick the plate.....
I slept soundly, woken by my requested wake up call. Breakfast was delicious - the best bircher muesli I have ever tasted, lots of fruit, cereals, bread productsu (and cooked options) great coffee and served, as ever, with a smile. Much as I love Radio 2 I did find its presence a little incongruous over breakfast. The staff did what they could to accommodate my requests, including obtaining the muesli recipe from the chef for me (although it was a minimalist list of ingredients...I don't blame them for not wanting to give the actual recipe up easily!)
Checkout was quick and painless. Those biscuits had been replenished, but I managed to abstain...
Thank you Malmaison. I look forward to coming back - probably with my husband next time to share the experience.
I am aware that the hotel makes it clear that they welcome children, with lower prices on their sunday brunch for children, and cots etc on request. However, I do think that children running around may be frowned upon, not least by the other guests who are predominately business men and, I assume couples at weekends. Still, maybe we will bring our 3 year old sometime and see how it goes! Malmaison is certainly a hotel I plan to return to again (and again...)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. When you return please let me know so we can ensure a couple of extra items in the room. My contact details are dmadge@malmaison.com