“'Special experience'”

Ranked #267 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“'Special experience'”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Our stay here for our wedding anniversary was made so special by the fairly new manager, Dean Madge, and his staff, from a complimentary room up-grade, to complimentary fizz and cocktails in the bar! Best part was several staff took the opportunity to wish us 'happy anniversary', from check-in to bar waiter. How nice. And a personal card in the room from the manager. It's touches like this that make, certainly this Malmaison, stand out from the rest. So clean everywhere, and I'm fastidious. Breakfast service, in particular, is attentive and delicious - a proper table service, not all this buffet nonsense. Great start to the day!
Many thanks to all concerned!

• Stayed September 2012
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your anniversary with us. It was our pleasure to provide a couple of cocktails for you both to celebrate.

On behalf of all the team at Malmaison we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a bit more MAL life.

Dean Madge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for two nights, staff were lovely and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was nice , clean and spacious, with everything you need
The manager even paid us a visit to check we were comfortable.
Great hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, September 27, 2012

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

There was a group of 6 of us Staying at the hotel to celebrate a family graduation in the barbican so location was absolutely perfect, close to the train station an the barbican itself couldn't have asked for a better hotel.
Having always stayed at the Mal in belfast I was looking forward to seeing how the London Mal compared, first impressions were good front of house staff were polite checked in easily, went up our rooms, I was a little disappointed the rooms were a lot smaller and there was damp patches on the wall, the bathroom was also not as nice I had a shower over a bath where as in Belfast they have fantastic power showers but I can't keep comparing, overall the room was clean and tidy, shame about the view as I had a side window that didn't have a too great a view,
Glad the room had air con as this came in handy, corridors were very stuffy as others have mentioned.
Rooms were cleaned nicely while we were out,
Now what actually made my weekend were the bar staff and the waiting staff, I couldn't have asked for 2 nicer guys I only wish I had taken their names.
We had the same waiter on sat and Sunday morning he was lovely, so attentive and friendly and really made time to speak to us, even when he finished his shift on the Sunday as we're leaving he stopped outside to speak to us before going home, wish I knew his name( he lives in Stratford I know that)
We didnt get to the bar till late on Sat evening as we went to watch a show but the barman was brilliant he made me my own special Indian summer cocktails please tell him, thank you, :)
These two guys could show front of house a thing or two with their hospitality
Had a great weekend, thanks very much I'd certainly stay again if there were more offers available.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I will share your comments with the bar team.

We have never had a comment regarding damp in the bedrooms and I have asked our maintenance team to check all our rooms. Our standard rooms can be a little "cosy" please let me know if you stay again and I will happily make sure you are allocated a more spacious bedroom.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed just one night in this hotel. Staff very friendly and pleasant. Room a little cramped in terms of floor space but had everything we needed. Only negative comment is the mirrors are not positioned in convenient places for ladies wishing to apply their makeup with any chance of success so take your own magnifying mirror! Very comfy if firm bed and no outside noise at all. We had a room at the back of the hotel so Would be worth requesting that. We were actually able to have the window open as it was a bit warm for our liking and were not woken in the morning. Didn't have the breakfast. The cocktail bar in the basement had a good buzz about it and the staff are pleasant and accommodating. Not cheap however. Will go back when next need to be in Smithfield area.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel for a good nights sleep.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at London Malmaison.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Should you visit us again please let me know and I will ensure you have a more spacious bedroom.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Recently attended a wedding in this hotel so we booked in for the full weekend. Staff were so friendly and exceptionally helpful nothing was of any problem to them. Rooms where super and very roomy. As for the wedding food was superb and service was first class. I would recommend this hotel if you were looking for a wedding venue.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We loved the area, which is situated on the outskirts of the City. Lots to do and walking distance to several attractions such as St Paul and Millenium bridge. Downside is that the room was so tiny, I couldnt even fully open a large suitcase without cramping the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, September 21, 2012

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our superior rooms are larger in size and may be more suitable if you’re looking for a little more space. If you stay with us again please let me know and I can make sure the room is large enough for you. My contact details are dmadge@malmaison.com.

London
Reviewed September 13, 2012

On the plus side - great CBD location, very clean, interesting boutique design and feel.

We were really looking forward to our stay as we had heard really good things. I'm not sure if we were just given a bad room for the price we paid, but its was so small that we couldn't fit my suitcase in and open the door at the same time. The room didn't look at all like the pictures on the website and despite touches of boutique and quirky modern design and charm (eg. large bottles of shampoo/cute sayings on the door signs), the walls and the general fixtures and furnishings of the cheap standard of a 3 star serviced apartment in Australia, certainly not what we expected for the extremely high price that we paid ($1000 AUD for a few nights). There was no breakfast included, no window in our room at all (let alone a view), the heating was also stuck in the hallway so it was very stuffy and the room was a small sealed box.
The staff did their job but were somewhat disinterested and unhelpful.
The lobby was nicely and trendily decorated with dim lighting and bottles of pre-set champagne.
We spent much much more money on this hotel than on any 5 star hotel we stayed at during our holiday and were extremely disappointed for what you get for the price - perhaps we just didn't get a good deal as some of the other reviews reflect a very different price and room from what we experienced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JalizeLondon
Dean M, General Manager at Malmaison London, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Malmaison London.

Some of our rooms do have frosted windows totalling 08 bedrooms one of which you stayed in. The vast majority have views over Charterhouse Square (42) and the Charterhouse building and beyond (41). I do appreciate the comments you have shared and moving forward if you do decide to stay again I would be happy to ensure you’re allocated a room at the front of the building.

Our rates are competitive in the area we operate and obviously the further out you reserve the better the rate. From time to time we do promote a city slicker package offering you unbeatable value at the weekends.

I will certainly share the comments regarding service with the team.

In the meantime if you do decide to stay with us I would be more than happy to take care of your reservation to ensure you have a room located which offers a view. My contact details are dmadge@malmaison.com

DEAN MADGE