“Cricklewood Gem”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #417 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the Crown Moran in June. Lovely spotlessly clean room beautifully furnished. Breakfast excellent with super service from young waiting team. Had a romantic meal in the Pan Asian restaurant. Can't fault

Room Tip: Higher floors best
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Dear 11JaneD11,

It is so nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially that we were able to help by providing the perfect setting for your romantic meal.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Crown Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2014

London hospitality and service was way below other European (popular!)countries at the same price! I knew about it being expensive and all but I didn`t expect a 4 star hotel with an old (worn out) scratched furniture, squized room, towels no longer white but grey, not so clean bathroom and no fridge. Location was horrible, a true melting pot with little dirty Indian, Arabic cheap shops, a smelly and crowded area. It took us up to 50 - 60 minutes by bus to reach civilization every day!

The hotel choice was very important to us and people`s wonderful reviews convinced me.
I can only assume we got a poor room and that the hotel`s got waaay better ones.

Food was ok, but not spectacular. A reasonable choice of products. A good stay.
Wouldn`t return here.

Room Tip: Ours was a non smokers room on the 4th floor, not recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CorinaRoman

Dear CorinaRoman,

I am genuinely surprised by your comments and naturally am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. As you mention yourself this is certainly not typical of what the vast majority of our reviewers report, but I do realise that everyone has slightly different expectations and the title of your review sums this up.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

If you're prepared to compromise on location, this hotel is a find. It's an interesting concept linking a big Victorian pub with a new-build hotel by means of an atrium which accommodates the hotel reception.

Our room was spacious, well fitted out, clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent with the hot breakfast cooked to order and a reasonable cold selection as an alternative. A big appetite is needed to do justice to the full Irish.

The hotel doesn't do chilled very well. The air con in our room was ineffective, the real ale in the bar was warm and the white wine served barely chilled. Breakfast items such as fruit juice and yoghurt were served unchilled.

There is nothing much appealing about the area around the hotel unless you like shops and restaurants of every ethnicity except British. However, it is a ten minute walk to the Tube at Kilburn or the London Overground almost next door at Brondesbury. There are frequent buses from outside the Hotel to the stations.

We stayed here to go to Wimbledon and the off-peak fare from Brondesbury to Southfields using an Oyster card was a mere £1.50.

We would certainly stay again as the hotel was much better value than many Central London hotels at £220 for two of us for two nights bed and breakfast. Other reviewers have mentioned cheaper rates for late bookings but we needed the certainty of an advance booking and there were no vacancies when we stayed.

1  Thank LesCheshire

Dear LesChesire,

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be a good compromise offering better value for money than central London prices. It is particularly nice that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I do apologise that you experienced a few issues with temperature, but am pleased that this did not impact upon the enjoyment of your stay.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel was clean and very silent,you did't heard noting from the outside(well ,my room was at 6th floor).Check in and out was easy and fast.If you book your breakfast advance you'll get it little cheaper( btw breakfast was very good).My bathroom was littlebit wornout (shower)and i did't get my aircondition work but otherwise,excellent.Connections to London city center were very good.There were many bus lines direct from the hotel corner,one via Abbey road and Baker street( handy if you're a The Beatles or Sherlock Holmes fan).Nearest tube line is Jubilee(straight to O2 or Wembley)in Kilburn stations( 5 min. From/to hotel via busses).Lot's of restaurants and small croserys nearby the
hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank DukeWSuomi
Chiswick_Moran, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

Dear DukeWSuomi,

Thank you for all your kind comments.

I was pleased to read that you found us to be convenient for your stay in London and we hope to see you again when you next visit.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Excellent hotel in the middle of London. Staff were very friendly, the food was good. Our room was very well laid out, nice bathroom and all very clean.
Would return without any hesitation.
The only little gripe would be the uht milk for the coffee horrible stuff !!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank nuci1

Dear nuci1,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It sounds as though you enjoyed everything but the UHT milk.

While for obvious reasons we can't leave fresh milk in the rooms, please feel free to ring reception when you next visit as we will happily deliver a small jug of milk to your room.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here for a few nights this week; the stay was mostly fine. Rooms average but clean. Nice pool. Location not the best.

The problem we had was with the hotel's handling of your card details and their complete lack of customer service. On arrival the hotel took a card for security. What they did not explain was that they would take a deposit from this card which was around £150 MORE than the total cost of the stay. No word of this!

I found this out at the cash point on day 2 of our stay when my available balance was considerably less than expected.

This itself turned out to be an inconvenience but one we could cope with. However, this was not the end of the problem!

On check-out I questioned the deposit and was greeted with a lot of shrugging, patronising smiles (bordering laughter) and excuses. "This should have been explained" - Well it wasn't. "We haven't taken the money just reserved it" - well if I can't use it it's as good as taken. Very unhelpful young lady.

When I explicitly asked if the difference would return to my balance on check-out I was told "yes". The answer should have been "No, but we are going to take the full amount again!"

So today is the day after I have checked out and my bank balance is currently down OVER DOUBLE the total cost of the stay!!!

Poor communication skills from the staff and/or some outright mistruths have resulted in a number of problems for me. For this reason I would not recommend this hotel and I would definitely not book again.

3  Thank Michael T

Dear Michael T,

Thank you for your comments.

Although our authorisation policy is explained in writing at our reception desk we always try to verbally explain this to guests as they check in and I sincerely apologise that this did not happen on this occasion.

The alternative for guests not wishing to leaving an authorisation is to take full payment upon check in, which we would have happily done, but of course likewise you would certainly have not had access to these funds then.

Having checked our records I can confirm that we charged you only once and that all outstanding funds were returned to your card upon check out. Any delay in returning this to your account would lie with your bank.

I am genuinely sorry that this breakdown in communication seems to have ruined what would have be a perfectly enjoyable stay for you.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Was a lovely hotel, the decor was amazing and modern however the night we stayed there must of been a function on and it had some very drunk teenagers which were causing a bit of a nuisance. We waited for around 10 minutes to use the lift as they weren't letting us go In it which was pretty bad (in future I would choose more wisely as to who you put functions on for as this is a lovely hotel and could be wonderful without all the chavs). The staff were lovely but nothing special as I have been to many hotels and had better experiences. Overall it was just a nice hotel, nothing special but nothing tragic. Doubt I would stay again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louiserusso

Dear Louiserusso,

Thank you for taking the time post your review.

I am sorry to hear that the behavior of some of our other guests has cast a shadow over your stay.

Thank you however for the kind comments you made regarding the hotel and I do hope you reconsider and visit us again.