“Hotel okay, but area undesirable and parking can be difficult”

Clayton Crown Hotel
Ranked #405 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Hotel okay, but area undesirable and parking can be difficult”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are big fans of the Chiswick Moran but couldn’t get a room this weekend, so decided to stay at the Crown Moran, especially as the location fitted in better with our plans.

Our biggest problem was parking – hotel car park was full and the surrounding streets are heavily restricted (9am to 10pm) to residents only, which is fair enough. We did in the end find a space on the main street, a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, which was free of charge from 6.30pm.

The lobby of the hotel looks fantastic and we were checked in efficiently (but without much enthusiasm). The deal we had picked up was for a twin room and we asked if this could be changed (or made up to a double), but we were told rather flatly that it could not. (The same request at the Chiswick Moran a couple of weeks ago had been met with a positive “Of course, I’ll send housekeeping straight away” response.)

Our room was on floor -1 and had a window over looking the top of the swimming pool. The room was a decent size and comfortable, but nothing to get excited about (and if they keep the old television sets any longer they may actually become trendy again)! In the bathroom the shower was at a fixed height that I always find frustrating (for anyone), but especially if you are 6 foot+ and then can’t actually fit underneath the shower!

Breakfast seemed good, although we just had a continental selection as didn’t fancy a fully cooked option.

The area surrounding the hotel is okay if noisy North West London pubs and bars are what you are after, but for me the hotel is the highlight of the area. If you need to get into town there are plenty of buses and the tube is not too far, nor is the local over-ground station.

The hotel is alright with plenty of plus points for the less demanding traveller, but if you are fussy I would look elsewhere. Personally I wouldn’t choose to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrHandBaggageOnly
Michael R, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review the Crown Moran Hotel - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Two words that you don't often see together - quiete and London! We were very pleasantly surprised at our choice to stay further out of the city at Cricklewood as it proved to be very easy to commute into the city. We hopped a bus to the train station right outside the hotel and were in Bond Street 20 minutes later, the line also went directly to the O2 - door to door in 35 minutes!
The Crown Moran is a modern hotel very well appointed with good size rooms, lovely public areas/foyer to lounge around in, indoor swimming pool. It is also conveniently linked to the old Crown Hotel which has an Irish bar and Asian restaurant and it's where you take your breakfast in the morning. We booked through Booking.com and got a very good rate of £95 and the parking was secure on site and only cost £15 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Would recommend staying in a high room as it was very peaceful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Crown_Moran_Hotel, General Manager at Clayton Crown Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.
You review was a pleasure to read and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto my team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the meantime, if we may assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just back from a couple of days in London and stayed at this hotel in Cricklewood. In comparison to the no of hotels I've stayed in London this ranks very high on the list. Very competitive rates and a beautiful hotel. The staff were just 1st Class and so helpful. Rooms are a good size,comfortable clean and tidy. No mini bar in room but a tray with good selection of tea,coffee etc.
On the first night we ate in the adjoining Crown bar. Quite a spectacular bar too! The food and service were just excellent nothing too much bother. The following evening we had room service. Again no complaints just excellent service and attention plus the food was equal to the service.
The hotel is quite impressive and only a 5-10 minute walk to Cricklewood Station which in turn is a 12 minute train ride to St Pacras.
The only complaint I would make are the breakfasts. Over priced and poor value although service was as always very attentive.
We'd certainly recommend this hotel .......just give the breakfasts a miss!,

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.

I have shared with the teams here your positive experience in the hotel in regards to service, location and general attentiveness to your needs whilst in the hotel. Also I appreciate your feedback on the breakfast not being of good value for money and have shared this with my Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager who will review this and action accordingly, I am glad that the attentiveness of service was carried out for your breakfast.

It is our aim to achieve a level of service which is beyond our guests’ expectations, and I am therefore grateful you have advised me of this valuable feedback.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

brighouse west yorkshire
Reviewed July 10, 2013

upon arriving late we managed to get the last parking space in underground carpark very tight for parking, room was very nice but faced onto the crown moran pub next door, there was a wedding reception going on at the time and went on until about 4 am extremely noisy, hardly slept. upon leaving early the next morning we were hit with a 15 pound bill for parking the car, we were not told anything about this when we arrived the previous evening so was a bit of a shock, surrounding area was full of kebab shops and fast food takeaways not somewhere you could go for a stroll in the evening. Check in and check out staff were not very helpfull, doubt we will be staying there again.

Room Tip: do not accept one facing onto crown moran pub
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank philip a a
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your stay with us at the Crown Moran Hotel.

I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team here and utilise this information to enusre we are making our guests experience a memorable one.

The parking is chargeable being advertised on our website, on entry to the car park and with notices internally also - we do communicate this information in as many ways as possible in order to keep our guests updated on information.

Should there be a disturbance from guests to another in the hotel we do control the sitauation on being informed at the time. It is our aim to ensure that all of our guests in the hotel whether attending an event and staying or just staying to visit the city are looked after by the team with care and attention.

I was disappointed to read that you found the check in/check out staff to be not very helpful and would like more information on this to share with the team. My personal email is bdebarra@moranhotels.com if you would like to elaborate on this matter in order for me to rectify this issue.

Once again I do thank you for your feedback and I hope we will be afforded the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crown Moran Hotel.

Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed one night here with my son and husband in a family room. Well situated, a short tube ride from Wembley. Attractive restaurants and reception, nice breakfast. Unfortunately when we entered our room at 11.30pm it stank of damp. My fourteen year old was exhausted so I didn't complain at the time. My husband was convinced that the sheets actually felt a little damp also. The smell was awful. When I mentioned it the next morning I was informed that maintenance would look into it, no apology at all. From having read other reviews this is clearly a problem and one they need to sort out if they wish to remain a four star hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank clairesmyth38
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you firstly for taking the time to review your feedback on your recent stay at the Crown Moran Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the restaurant/ lobby area and had a nice breakfast.

I will certainly look into the issue with your bedroom you stayed in. My personal email is bdebarra@moranhotels.com if you would like to let me know further information to help with this matter. Our linen is laundered and changed daily.The hotel building itself is celebrating its 10th Anniversary of construction this year so the building is new and maintained on a daily basis by our maintenance manager. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope to hear from you again and would love the opportunity to welcome you personally back to the Crown Moran Hotel.

Derby
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Really good value, amazing room, good food and ideal base for travelling into London - free parking at hotel if you eat in the hotel, which was no hardship as the food was lovely - will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank CharmedDerby
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your your feedback on your stay at the Crown Moran Hotel.

I am delighted that you found all aspects of your stay for the celebrations to be most enjoyable and I will certainly share your feedback with the team here.

There is an update on our carpaking payment in that it is chargeable at a minimal fee of £20.00 over night parking or £2.00 per hour for short term use. We do like to keep our guests updated on information that may change so this information is available on our website also.

I do hope that on your next visit to London I shall have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crown Moran Hotel personally.

Letterkenny
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great hotel. Looked amazing from outside. It was such good value for London. The tube station was very nearby so no problem getting into centre of London. The food there was lovely & reasonable and the breakfast was really good. It also had the added bonus of a pool. It was lovely to go for a dip after shopping in London all day. Staff were lovely too. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.
Your review was a pleasure to read and I shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto my team.