“Great everything except ....”

Premier Inn London Kensington (Earl's Court) Hotel
Ranked #203 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great everything except ....”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a great Premier Inn, I would leave an excellent rating bar for one small issue!

Pros -
Clean as a new pin, in every way possible

Warm, comfortable rooms

Friendly, helpful staff

Excellent, reasonably priced food

Warmest of welcomes

Cons- Some rooms are very, very noisy!! My room was directly over the tube line, tube trains were running until 1.30 in the morning, and then workmen started to dig up the track under the window at 2.30 !! Finally fell asleep at 4am, then awoken by the trains starting to run at 5.30!! However, I have to also add, that when I spoke to the staff member when I checked out and informed him of the poor sleep and the problems, I was instantly given a full refund on the price of the room under the Premier Inns 'Good Sleep Guarantee' . This was given without quibble or argument, and the staff member assured me that it was not a problem, and gave me advice for booking a quiet room on another visit. (Phone and request a quiet room once reserved)

Overall, a great place to stay, with good access to the tube (maybe a bit too good ;-) ), and, if you are reasonably fit, it is walking distance to the Natural History, Science and Victoria and Albert museums.

Staff, are absolutely superb, breakfast (Saturday morning) was very busy, I had been advised by a staff member the evening before of the busiest times, unfortunately my itinerary was such that I had to eat in the busy period. However, queuing was kept to a minimum, tables were cleared quickly, fresh, hot cooked food was replenished as quickly as it was taken. Despite the large number of guests eating, and the amount of work they were doing, the staff still managed to smile and offer assistance to any guest that needed it.

I will stay here again on another visit to the capital, but will make sure I request a family or quiet room!! These are located in the annexe, which according to friends who stayed there the same night, is a little bit of a walk, so it may be a bit of a weigh up for some. Personally, despite being disabled I would rather walk a little further and sleep well. Some will be happier to stay closer and wear ear plugs!!

Premier Inn may like to offer complimentary earplugs to customers on the train side of the hotel. Incidentally, when I was at reception on the friday evening, buying a wifi voucher the duty book was left on the desk, in my clear view. In this book, was written instructions from the day shift, that any guests only staying for one night should be put train side of the hotel whilst longer stayers and families should be put in the annexe!! Interesting,

Room Tip: Phone when you have booked and request a quiet room or if you are not a light sleeper, take earplugs...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ImmortalDruid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed at the Premier Inn, Earls Court for two nights 6-8 November 2012. Easy to find, two minutes walk from Earls Court Tube Station. Warm greeting from staff on arrival. Used the self-service check-in facility which was very simple and hassle-free. A friendly member of staff then pointed us in the right direction to our room (undoubtedly, and unfortunately, he will no doubt be eventually out of a job due to the self-service facility).

We had been allocated a family room when the reservation was made online (albeit only required a double). The room was essentially a double with a settee which could be changed into a single bed if required. There was ample space in the room; TV; tea and coffee facilities; hairdryer; towels in bathroom together with soap and showe-gel dispensers. The room (405) was located directly above the DLR and, as per other reviews, there was noise from this but nothing too distracting and it did not disturb our sleep. Our distraction came only on the first night, from the rude occupants next door (403) who were still talking loudly (and quite heated) until the early hours with mobile phones ringing at 4.30am and music playing early morning. Thankfully we appeared not to have them as neighbours for our second evening.

We ate in the restaurant on the first evening although had not booked. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. The ultimate burger looked exactly like the picture in the menu! For breakfast we ate nearby on Earls Court Road at Bencho’s Cafe located a moments walk from Earls Court Tube Station (face the station entrance with your back to Greggs, turn to the right, it’s across the road from Holland & Barratt). Atmosphere very pleasant with a mis-match of tables and chairs accommodating locals and tourists alike. The friendly staff were our reason to return on our second morning. Always full of customers, obviously very popular, definitely worth a visit.

We used the luggage room at the Premier Inn on our final day after checking out. A great facility so that we did not have to carry our bags around town. Other than the thin bedroom walls, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms likely to be affected by the DLR.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St. John's
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Perfect location! About 30 mins from LHR on the Tube to Earls Court and literally a 2 minuet walk to the hotel! Then its another 20 mins on the Tube and you're downtown! The room was excellent,clean and VERY comfortable! The duvets were bright white and so fluffy!! We had breakfast included with our room and we were SO surprised at the choices for food. Everything you can imagine both hot & cold!! meats,eggs,cereal,danish,croissants,fruit,juices & teas and it was all delicious!! The front desk staff were so helpful and friendly. I can't think of anything negative to say except we couldn't stay longer!! We loved our stay and shall return again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Margo H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel delivers much more than you'd expect from a fairly basic chain hotel. It's just a 5 minute walk to the nearest tube station, and a leisurely 15 minute walk to Harrods. The rooms were clean, modern, and comfortable. The staff were lovely. We arrived before the check in time, and they happily stored our luggage for us. Every member of staff we encountered during our stay asked if everything was all right, and were keen to help. The bar was busy and buzzy in the evening, and the breakfast was excellent value with a very good selection on offer. Being so central, there is no car parking on site. You can park over the road in a neighbouring hotel, subject to availability, but it is very expensive at £38 from 3pm to midday the next day, and additional charges per hour on top of that.

Room Tip: There is some noise from the railway, and when we mentioned this (on checkout), we were advised to a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Treesd
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

brilliant location 2 mins walk to the tube and only a few stops to the main sights, great staff, we stayed in a family room which was perfect and the food was lovely and great value, we booked online and added the meal deal package which was ideal a nice big breakfast ready for a busy day and then back just in time for dinner no stress!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy W
Chiasso, Switzerland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The room was super clean and modern, the bed confortable and the bathroom well equipped with a good shower and bath. The location great so close to the tube station it makes for an easy way to get around London. The breakfast was really tastey and lots of choice it was hard not to have a 3 course breakfast with so many lovely things! But to make it the most perfect stay was the staff, so friendly, tentative, helpful and knowledgable. I couldn't fault any of them and this really adds to the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stacey P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

POSITIVES

• Excellent location about 300m from Earl’s Court Tube Station. It’s an easy, level walk to the station, which is ideal if you’re carting luggage. There are no steps. Even at the station you can go up and down by elevator.

• Double-glazed windows mean that you get no street noise (at least not on the side that I stayed).

• Staff are pleasant, helpful and polite. I had a small problem with the lighting in my bathroom which was promptly fixed.

• Flexible breakfast time - till 10.30am on weekdays and 11.30am on weekends.

• Late midday check-out.

• My room was clean and comfortable. All the appliances worked well and were simple to use.

• Bed was large and comfortable.

• Breakfast was ample and filling with a wide selection of hot and cold choices.

• Shower had good water pressure.

• I felt that I was in a safe and secure environment.

NEGATIVES

• Being a Premier Inn, rooms are functional, clean and comfortable as I’ve said but a bit on the small side with nowhere to store cases. I stayed in a room on my own for two nights which was fine, for two people it can be a bit of a squeeze.

• Expect some noise from other guests walking up and down the corridor but floors are carpeted and it didn’t bother me too much or disturb my sleep.

• The hotel comprises two buildings on either side of the street, joined by a covered walkway. But there’s only one entrance so if you’re staying in building no. 2 as I was (the one on the far side) you first have to get a lift (or walk up the stairs) to level 2 of building no.1 then walk across the covered bridge to building no. 2 from where you get another lift (or again walk up the stairs) to your floor, in my case it was level 4. I found that a bit tiresome.

• The shower is over the bath, but there’s no non-slip mat for when you’re showering so you need to be extra careful not to slip.

• There’s a 25 Pound fee for a late checkout which I found rather unnecessary especially if no-one is coming into the room that day. Some flexibility here would have been nice. They will store luggage for you for a few hours though, free of charge.

SUMMARY

I spent two nights here and overall was happy with my experience. It was quiet, clean, comfortable and conveniently located to public transport and the hub of Earl’s Court, with plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs nearby.

Room Tip: Staff are helpful and polite, so ask them to allocate you to a quiet room and if they can they will...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo