“Terrible stay with 3 hours sleep!”
Review of Ashley London

Ashley London
Ranked #893 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just registered to tripadvisor to put this comment so no-one has the same terrible experience I had. Usually I'm quite easy going, all I need is a matress and a hot shower and... the noise level to be acceptable for me to sleep. If you have any choice, avoid this hotel, they are refurbishing it but that won;t change the constructs. I stayed in room 206 and the iolation between rooms is so bad that when people open the door in another room upstairs or same floor you can't stand from looking at your door to see if people are not getting into your room! In addition they have installed some pump that runs everytime someone takes a shower or go to the bathroom and, again, due to bad isolation, your hear it so much that it waked you at night... the result is I slept 3 hours from 3 to 6 am!

Room Tip: Not sure there are rooms that are so much better but avoid room 206 and any room close to it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alex_D_7412

Reviewed June 2, 2013

If your idea of a hotel is a Hilton, don't stay here. If you want a warm, comfortable, reasonably priced room in a quiet neighborhood, this is the place! The Ashley Hotel was chosen for two reasons, location being right next to Paddington Train Station and the price of the room. From Heathrow airport jump on the Heathrow Express for a 15 minute comfortable ride and a 5 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel is part of a larger row of buildings built sometime in the 1800's. It is a typical European hotel with small rooms and no elevator but then we only returned to sleep in very comfortable beds after long days of sightseeing. It is currently in the midst of a complete renovation which when done will result in comfortably refurbished rooms and breakfast room. Continental breakfast was included. Close to Tube stations, bus stations and a short walk to Hyde Park. A large assortment of cozy ethnic restaurants as well as fast food shops. By far the best part of the Ashley is the staff which were warm and friendly and very helpful in making calls to locate our lost luggage which arrived a day after we did. Irene and Lina at front desk were true gems.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage ask for a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EWL05
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We've stayed here on two visits to UK and the pluses of the Ashley's location in Norfolk Square within a stone's throw of Paddington Station far outweigh any inadequacies with the rooms which are a little tired and some were very cramped while lugging suitcase up the stairs is a challenge. However, the friendly staff and the wonderful full English breakfast put you in a fine mood as you embark on exploring this fascinating city each day. Norfolk Square is just a hop and a jump to Hyde Park and Edgware Road with a compact local shopping centre and selection of casual eateries of its own, the Ashley is excellent value for money. We'll be back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Clydebank5354
Reviewed May 4, 2013

lean room
breakfast is coffee and croissant
missing a elevator
the locatian was very good near the tube
the shower was a bit on the small side
restaurant were close by...................................

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Thalen J
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Sent up eight flights of stairs with heavey suitcases, with no help offered to elderly couple and found room occupied ! Then relocated to dungeon style small room in basement.
Breakfast very basic with cheap cereals. Give it a miss.

Room Tip: Avoid basement room or rooms at the top with heavy luggage.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on a weekend in London. For the price, the rooms were very good! Admittedly small but newly renovated and clean. The bathroom was tiny but still fitted a normal sized person and the shower within the tiny bathroom actually quite big. Breakfast was average but for 2 young people wanting to spend time and money exploring London, a bowl of cereal and a croissant was fine. The staff were lovely and even put choclates and a birthday card with a map of London next to the towels shaped as swans as my boyfriend told them in advance we were celebrating a birthday.

Great location, very close to Hyde park and Paddington Station. After reading the reviews here after booking the hotel, I was in no way looking forward to coming. I was instead pleasently suprised.

The only issue was that we had to walk through a corridor that builder's were renovating at the time but we didnt hear any noise the next morning so it didn't bother us that much.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reviewer46186460
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed here before years ago, think it's under new management & they've done some remodeling. Every thing looks beautiful, but it had very small rooms before-think they made them smaller! (I stayed in a single.) But incredibly clean and everyone is nice. My favorite part about the Ashley is location, location, location!! Just a block from Paddington Train Station (zip in on the Heathrow Express in 15 minutes!) & Paddington Tube Station. The street that you walk up to get to the pretty square that the Ashley is on is now full of restaurants and stores & very busy, so feel very safe to walk to the hotel after the evening theater. I like going over to Paddington to eat too, some fast, inexpensive places to grab a sandwich/get food-great Burrito place-go figure! I also like EAT on the top floor for nice fresh sandwiches.

Back to discussing the Ashley, unfortunately my room was up 4 windy flights, I have a wonky knee and think I broke my toe stepping off the front stoop (not the Ashley's fault, just stepped wrong) so it was difficult. Pain to drag my carryon suitcase all the way up, so be sure to request lowest floor as possible. There wasn't even a chair in the room, the first night I put a pillow on the floor to sit on-next night I was organized enough to just sit on the bed, used my suitcase as a nightstand. First night the heat didn't work, I called, they told me to turn the nob on the radiator...still didn't work (he probably didn't want to come up as they stay at the front desk in the evening-plus I didn't call back)...but once I got under the warm comforter, was toasty all night! The next morning, I told the lady at the front desk after breakfast & about 10 minutes later she brought a big space heater up, so heat issue was solved. The bathroom was tiny! When seated, my leg was literally wedged under the sink-between the pipe and the wall. Cannot be too overweight for this bathroom! The shower stall was so tiny I couldn't bend over to wash my feet, but it did have a handheld shower head so I at least got to spray them off. The wall of the shower was also leaning in, so if you are really tall, you probably wouldn't fit, I'm 5'8" and just barely fit.

BUT for the location right in London, it was only $114 a night!! Which really can't be beat! Safe & clean. If you need a little more space, pop for the bigger rooms. I was only there 2 nights & it worked out just fine. I'd rather save the money to spend on more fun things while in London!!

They used to have a great breakfast, they'd cook eggs to order, etc. Now it's just a basic cereal, toast, nice fresh croissants, etc. To me it wasn't worth the 5 flights of stairs to go the second day though.

They have several wifi plans to pay, don't remember offhand, not too much and very quick/stable connection.

Will definitely stay there next time in London, if more than 2 nights, will pop for a bigger room 8-)

Room Tip: Request lower floors unless you want to get some exercise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo