Ashley London
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Please avoid this place. Room was like something from 'risng damp'. En suite was a cupboard but really grotty. There is no way of locking the room from the inside. Whole bedroom in desparate need of cleaning, redecorating and new carpets.
No sleep water gushing noises every 15 minutes or so. Early in the morning the ceiling in the next bedroom fell down, complete with several tonnes of water. Frightened me to death. Water in electric sockets, ceiling light still attached but almost touching the floor. Staff said they were aware there were some problems with Drips!!
I strongly recommend that you find another hotel, any hotel, just don't go to this one.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JoyHayle
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I visited London on what should have been a fun and exciting visit for work experience, but turned out to be the most miserable few days ever. Obviously if money's tight, this hotel appears to be a good deal, but trust me, you are worth the extra money. As an unemployed graduate completing work experience, I could barely afford the trip so opted for this s***hole; I booked with lastminute which boasted this to be a 3* hotel. Never have they been more wrong. When I arrived, the staff were very rude. There were lots of men gathered around the front desk staring at me. I am a small, young woman and had a room on the top floor. Not one of them offered to help me carry my suitcase. Unbelievable! The staff woke me up at night by walking up the stairs loudly and talking outside my room. The room was a joke, I had a shared bathroom which stank and was revolting. Please do not subject yourself to these conditions, disgusting value for money!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Jasmine B
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Like most other people have commented this is a run down filthy hotel. THe paint is peeling of the walls and ceiling, mold in the shower etc. By no standards can this be considered value for money. Was travelling single and stayed for a night, got a tiny closet on the top floor, the window did not close right so and the radiator did not work so I was freezing on top of the dirt and mold.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Gudmundur T
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This B&B was ridiculous, the smallest rooms ever, a badly filthy carpet in the room, the sink in the desk (!) and the bathroom so small you couldn't turn around, with mouldy walls. You had no place to put any luggage and the wardrobe just had hangers. The courtains were with holes and grey/dirty and you couldn't lock the window. What else? Truely, I can accept a lot, but this was an insult. I stepped into the room and just got sick. never ever chose this hotel, if you have another choice.

Room Tip: if you need to stay in that area, chose rather a hotel than the victorian B&Bs, the hotels look better inside (from what we saw).
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank remoerk
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was staying at the Ashley Hotel on a business trip and it was a late booking.

The hotel is situated about two minutes walk from Paddington Station and is therefore convenient for both Tube and mainline services. It is a Regency style town house that has been converted into a hotel.

I arrived in mid evening and was met by a male receptionist with poor spoken English and a rather long registration form. I was then advised that my room was on the fourth floor. It was fortunate that I was only carrying a small overnight bag as there are no lifts in the Ashley Hotel. There was no offer of a wake up call or provision of a daily paper for the morning. The hotel and the booking agent, Last Minute, make no mention of these matters in their descriptions of hotel amenities.

I had also booked breakfast as part of the package but the hotel does not start serving until 7.30 am which was too late for me as my business in London called for an 8 am start at venue. The late start is mentioned neither by the hotel or the booking agent, Last Minute. As I left the hotel the following morning at 7am most of the surrounding hotels’ breakfast rooms were in full swing.

The receptionist gave me little further instruction and I had to find my way to the stairs along various corridors. The stairs were small, narrow, winding and steep with doors immediately at the top of each floor – some open inwards and some the other way.

Attaining the fourth floor feels like reaching the base camp for an attempt on Everest!

The décor is pretty grim and the management has not been troubled with a decorator’s invoice for a couple of decades or more. Paint is worn and chipped and there is a slight musty smell to the corridors. The corridors are dimly lit and depressing.

Still, from experience, sometimes the hotel is saved by a gem of a room. Sadly not on this occasion,

One wall slanted at a sickening twenty degrees (see photo) and the room was adorned in a faded puke yellow with an old fashioned pattern. Most of the buttons on the room radio/intercom were missing and it had a very 70’s look to it.

The bed was very comfortable but the room suffered from lots of noise from the surrounding area (mostly fireworks during my stay). Then as I lay down I noted there was what appeared to be a map of the African Rift Valley on the ceiling – no I was wrong, it was just a huge crack and damp patch – it will fall soon so watch out if you have the dreaded Room 411.

The electrics connecting the TV were interesting and wires and junction boxes hung from the wall (see photo).

The waste paper bin appeared, at first glance, to have been emptied but then I noticed second hand chewing gum in the bottom.

The ‘en suite’ was rather sad. I recently stayed at a hostel recently where the toilet/bathroom was advertised accurately as a ‘wet room’. That room was larger than the one provided in the Ashley Hotel (see photo). The room provided by the Ashley Hotel should be described as a ‘wet room’. It is incredibly small (see photo) with little delineation between the facilities. Additionally there was no plug in the sink and water ran from the rear of the toilet over the floor when flushed! Reassuringly (I hope) the water was clear and was from the cistern.

On leaving the Ashley Hotel I reported the missing plug and cistern issue to the two staff at reception. The male just said ‘OK’ and the female remained fixated with her nails. There was no apology – but then I did not expect one.

All in all the hotel is convenient but was not worth the £70 I paid (and that was a discount rate). It epitomises so many London hotels; there is enough passing trade that we don’t have to try too hard and do not need repeat custom. A Travelodge would provide a far superior hotel experience on so many levels.

Room Tip: Ground floor or go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business