“disappointing we had booked 6 months in advance a quiet quad room, we got a tiny noisy room overlooking the street.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arran House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Arran House Hotel
Ranked #366 of 567 London B&B and Inns
nsw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

While this hotel is clean and warm and the buffet breakfast is good value we were very disappointed with the tiny room we were given having booked 5 months in advance a quiet quad ensuite room We got a room which had a double bed, one single bed,and a fold away bed placed across the fireplace next to the ensuite door We could hardly open the ensuite door.Ttere was a fold away table in the room but there was no space to open it Tthe room was noisy as it overlooked gower st.When we expressed our concerns we were told a room change was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. After two nights and the clear message that the room was impossible for us to continue in and we would be checking out we did get a non ensuite room with a double amd two single beds overlooking the garden and were more comfortable. I would not advise this hotel for families unless there are much larger rooms that we are not aware of.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank gullyNsw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hungarian first
victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2010

We are heading back to the Arran House for the fourth time! It is in a great location with the Goodge Street underground just a couple of blocks away. They provide a great breakfast as well which keeps you full up til dinner. And for dinner....I would highly recommend going to Zizzi's which is only about 4 or 5 blocks away. It is reasonable, and they serve great Italian food...almost as good as what we've had in Italy!! Try them out and definately try out Arran House!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank lavamum
Albemarle County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

Arran House Hotel is the only place to stay in central London!
We planned to spend 4 nights there in December at the start of our EU, UK trip but due to the snow and airport closings we wound up returning to Arran (Thank God they could take us!!) for an additional three nights,
A wonderful and helpful staff, and congenial atmosphere, convenient location, terrific breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent value,... I could go on, All in all, certainly the highpoint of our London experience!!!
Thank you Arran House, we look forward to our return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ConantheBarbarian
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

I have just had 5 nights at the Arran House Hotel on my first trip to London. As a 50+ woman travelling alone and on a tight budget security and value for money along with a great location were the priorities - not easy to find in London which is quite an expensive town. Arran filled every criteria. My room was tiny but had everything I needed including an en-suite. Serviced daily. Flat screen TV fixed to the wall at the end of the bed. There are also tea/coffee facilities in the room. Breakfast was fabulous - great to fuel up on for long, cold days of sightseeing. Location was a quick bus ride from Trafalgar Square. I also felt perfectly safe walking back at night after dinner at surrounding venues - try the Museum Hotel opposite the British Museum. Staff were friendly and helpful. I could not have asked for more and if I am ever lucky enough to return to London again I would certainly stay at Arran House.

• Stayed December 2009
5 Thank HMSBells
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

I booked a single basic room here for 13 nights in November 2009, basing my choice after many hours comparing reviews on TripAdvisor. Well, Arran House proved to be perfect in every way for my trip. I had been somewhat nervous about booking a basic room with no loo, but I'd rather spend money on theatre tickets than on my own tiny loo. Using the loos available in the corridor proved to be no problem at all, though -- I waited only once for a shower; the facilities were spotlessly clean. Breakfast was, as previous reviews have noted, generous, delicious, vast, etc etc. I appreciated that the staff seemed genuinely understanding when I frequently showed up only about five minutes before the official end of breakfast time; they seemed relaxed about letting me linger over my meal, coffee and one of the many newspapers provided every morning. Also they always played interesting music, like Ella Fitzgerald or Nina Simone, during breakfast, which lent the cheerful breakfast room a cafe-like ambience. My room was small but bright, clean and very comfortable. It overlooked Gower Street from the second (third in USA) floor, but noise never bothered me because I wore earplugs :) Also, the hotel has installed not-perfect-but-helpful noise-reduction panels in the windows, which really cut down noise when I closed them. I loved the bed's mattress, duvet, and loads of fluffy pillows. The tea/coffee set-up in the room includes UHT milk, which is a nice touch for guests who detest non-dairy creamer powder, as well as decaf versions of instant coffee alongside the regular instant coffee, herbal tea, and black tea. TV has many channels and clear reception. It was so helpful that guests have a fridge to store food in next to the breakfast room and that we can use the kitchen from 3-11pm: I went shopping at the Sainsbury's and the Marks and Spencer's Food round the corner a few times, stocked up on items like hummus, cheese, Branston pickle, etc, and was able to have healthy snacks without constantly dining in restaurants for two weeks (something my budget couldn't allow!). Folks without laptops do need to pay something to use the computers in the drawing room, but WiFi is free, and I found the connection for my laptop quite good during my time at Arran. Location is fantastic: Right around the corner from Goodge Street and Tottenham Court Tube stations; quick access to the conveniences of Tottenham Court Road (ie Carphone Warehouse, Vodaphone, Sainsbury's, a mini Tesco, news agents, pubs, etc); insanely near the British Museum; a pleasant walk to Regent's Park and Marylebone High Street; a manageable walk to the British Library and then a wee bit farther to King's Cross/St Pancras; and within reasonable walking distance of Oxford Street, Leicester Square, etc. Of course directly across the street is a Waterstone's booksellers, which proved dangerous to my budget because I'm a book fanatic and kept finding myself there at the end of many days' exploring, on my way back to Arran. As for the staff, the people I encountered making breakfast, cleaning rooms and running the office were all helpful and efficient. The manager, Mary Anne, is a true star -- knowledgeable, intuitive, with a wry sense of humour -- I witnessed guests come in who hadn't been there in three years and Mary Anne remembered them. The dramatically high-ceilinged drawing room has a cracking fire (at least when it's chilly outside like during my visit), a tea/coffee/cocoa station, comfy sofas, a coffee table that offers the day's papers, current magazines, loads of guide books, and little votive candles to add to the cosiness. It was so nice to come back to such an atmosphere after exploring London all day, especially when the weather was quite cold. I nearly didn't write this review, because part of me wants to keep the Arran a best-kept secret, but that wouldn't be fair to the Arran, nor to all the other potential guests out there who crave a cosy, clean, reasonably priced place to stay in the heart of London.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank ExpatMama
Oxfordshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2009

The hotel is a couple of houses knocked together which gives it a very home-from-home feeling. Excellent and efficient welcome. We had a room with a large double bed and a single bed, and a very tiny module containing loo, basin, and shower. This was an issue - it was hard to sit on the loo without your knees touching the door, and the shower would be too tiny for anyone much overweight.

We slept brilliantly - highly comfortable bed (I am fussy about beds), quiet, ceiling fan if required but actually the road was not noisy so we had the window open a bit.

The high spot is the breakfast. Everything is made in small batches so it doesn't get tired. The sausages, bacon and mushrooms really tasted great. The best of all was the scrambled egg, done just right. Cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit as well. In the warm weather you can eat your breakfast in the garden. Great place, and the helpful staff would be a real asset if you did not know London well. Definitely one to return to.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

I stopped by in London for 2 nights (22 & 23 Oct 09) after a conference in Hungary. My previous experiences in B&Bs in central London were only satisfactory so i wasn't expecting much. Arran House surprised me very nicely.

Hotel staff helped me with my queries on how to get there from Heathrow, even offering to book a taxi for me. But I discovered the Dot.to.Dot hotel hopper service was a much more reasonable and comfortable way to get to hotels in central London (GBP34 for return door-to-door service)

Arran House impressed me with its clean set-up and warm welcome. Check in was fuss-free, I was given a page of instructions on how the hotel operates, what to do, log in details for internet, etc. A male staff member carried my suitcase up the narrow stairs to my 2nd floor room. The staff were really friendly and helpful, giving me help and info promptly.

I had a sore back and requested for help to bring my suitcases down upon checkout. A petite female staff enthusiastically carried down my suitcase AND my backpack and wouldn't allow me to take either from her. I was so worried she'd fall down those stairs! Thankfully, a male staff came along after a half flight of steps and rescued the situation.

I wish the check out time could be a little later though. 10.30am is rather early.

My room (#9) was small and just adequate for a single occupant, though there were 2 single beds. There wouldn't be enough space to put 2 suitcases there! (Ok for GBP55, i guess.) Nice tv, clean and comfortable bed. They didn't have an ensuite room for me so i immediately appreciated the wash basin in the room. Kettle, tea and coffee were available in the room while hair dryer was available upon request. Free internet access for guests with laptops was a great touch!

The downside was, my room faced the street and i kept waking up from 4am onwards on the 2nd night, due to traffic sounds on the street. Really noisy. I couldn't figure why heavy trucks were barrelling down the street on a Saturday morning!? Best to avoid the street-facing rooms, i think.

The one toilet and bathroom unit was clean and i didn't have to wait to use it. The stand alone toilet did not have a lock on the door so i didn't even think of using it. They should fix it.

I was pleasantly surprised at the full breakfast. Tasty and warm and what choice! It gave this vegetarian a great start to the day!

I loved the location! A clean and respectably quiet space, a short walk from Googe St Station and a comfortable stroll down to Oxford Street! Felt safe walking back to the hotel after a night of theatre and drinks, after 11pm.

I found the little touches rather charming. There were sweets near the entrance and in the common living room. And coffee and tea, magazines, travel books, tour pamphlets, brochures of places of interests, etc in the common living room. I saw the staff topping up the sweets and tea at regular intervals and thought Arran House Hotel really made the extra effort to make its guests feel comfortable.

I really appreciated the honesty / integrity of the cleaning staff. I'd accidentally left my wallet and spare change on the table when i went down for breakfast. The room had been cleaned in my absence and the money was intact!

Arran House contributed to a truly lovely stay in London! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo