“A reasonable hotel for central London”
Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #371 of 578 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was slightly aprehensive about this stay after reading some of the negative comments. The shared bathroom facilities were, in fact, very clean, as was my bedding. The room was clean, if a little worn. My only negative comment was that the sheet was straight onto the mattress which did not have a cover of any kind- long term this would be unhygienic. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was more than adequate. Better than some higher graded hotels where the cost is added to your bill. The hotel is centrally located in Bloomsbury and only 15 minutes walk away from Oxford Street, and twenty minutes walk from Chinatown

Room Tip: Gower Street is noisy so a rear room might be better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I paid £145 for a night - Quad room type on 4th Floor (incl ground floor & then 1st, 2nd..) There was En suit for this room but it was a TINY one. (Less than 2sqm.)

My perception, hotel age is over than 10 years which I assume by the color & texture of carpet and the crack paint on the wall.
"Staff" - Indian Man, he was so nice.
"Luggage" - I do not recommend if you have big luggage & travel to this hotel by tube or any mass transportation. 1st; there is far from the nearest tube "Euston Square" for around 0.6 mile. 2nd there is a tiny room & tiny stairway. Even you do not to carry luggage to room by yourself. I travel to london with my 4 yrs boy with a luggage - 19kg. Then once we have to move to & from here, I have to take TAXI.
"Location" - As mentioned above, Euston Square tube is nearest. But there is also bus stations, not much far from this hotel.BUT this hotel is located on the road with one way traffic from Euston Road >>to British Museum (can't remember the name of the road)
"Breakfast" - Simple.

Actually I did not book this hotel, but I stayed at this hotel. I booked Mabledon Court Hotel (away from here for 1 mile), located near Kings Cross station that I took tube from Heathrow Airport to town. I book the hotel via a website. I had to pay directly to hotel. If I want to adjust or cancel it was free by a certain day. If it was later than that I would be charged for a night. But I was late on this. First I booked for 3 nights for 2 adults & a 4yr boy & then change to only 1 night, then the customer service of website was so helpful to negotiate to the hotel. I would be charged for a night so I stay a night. Once I check in there with my son, only him & me, the 2 Indian men was there. One of them told me that due to we would be 3 pax in a room so they would change me to another hotel for a family room and not far from here. Ummmmm, I assumed that I did not have right to negotiate because it was my false to booked this hotel & did not cancel or adjust on time. So I did not decline his offer. He hired a taxi to Aaron House............So I stayed here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Room Tip: Top floor with en suit or lower floor with share shower room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KMLPTY
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel changed hands since our first visit six years ago, isn't quite what it was, but remains a good value. The value bumps it up to 4*.

Earlier this year my two daughters and I stayed six nights in a basic triple at the first floor front. High ceilings, bright. Half a flight up to clean tiled WC/shower. The daytime desk clerk was a darling, We appreciate the lounge with its selection of daily newspapers and makings of tea. Free WiFi. We could use the windowsill between outside and inner windows to keep our food cool when the weather was right; I can see how it might get either loud of stuffy in hot weather.

Our sentimental favorite remains the breakfast room. I was up early every day, sat at a corner table and enjoyed the scene: the German women and their teenage daughters who exclaimed with delight and took photos of the breakfast spread, the Scandanavian couple with their young son who always took the opposite far corner table. The hotel attracts an interesting crowd. My daughters sometimes came down so late that they shared tables with a young scientist visiting at a local university and a pub owner from the North in town catering a fancy corporate party. When my younger daughter and I moved to another hotel for a few more nights we missed the convivial feeling.

CONS:
It's a bit shabbier than formerly. Housekeeping standards are spotty: some days they'd give us clean towels. Another day they collected our wet ones but did not replace, took our teacups and didn't leave clean ones. (The desk took care of these things on request.) I had the bed next to the street window, and it took a few nights, even with earplugs and the double glazing, to get used to the street noise. I grew fond of the sounds eventually and used them as an alarm clock when things picked up in the morning.

My fastidious daughter would still like to stay here on our next London trip.

Room Tip: The shared WCs are convenient and clean. Never had a problem having to wait. Garden view rooms are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was here In August 2013 and my experience was pretty much exactly the same as Carusar211´s. There is a bed bug infestation throughout the hotel, and to make it worse, the manager and staff denied the issue despite obvious bites throughout my body, pictures, and live specimens taken from the beds. Aside from that, there are underground "dungeon" rooms that are next to the kitchen, dark, dirty, and noisy. The fact that this hotel carries a Certificate of Excellence for 2013 seriously challenges the credibility of Tripadvisor´s certificate program.

Room Tip: Don´t stay here, period.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank santas_bcn
Reviewed September 14, 2013

London is stupid expensive for hotels in the central London area, and that fact was what led us to this hotel. Definitely a good find (thanks tripadvisor) that is relatively close-in and within walking distance of several tube stops.

Pluses: Location, friendly front desk staff (2 guys who seem to cover things 24/7), value.
Minuses: No A/C (not a big deal in London, but if that's your thing), awkward passage between the two sides of the hotel when the other door is locked (again, no biggie), hotel seemed to be somewhat dark.

Overall pleased, would stay here again. If you arrive by tube, be prepared to wander around a bit, seems to be always confusing coming out of the Warren Street station. No biggie, the neighborhood is completely safe!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever. When I stayed here for an extended time, the hotel was in the middle of a bed bugs epidemic that the management flat out denied to my face when I had picture evidence of bites, black spots on my sheets, and a room full of discarded mattress that mysteriously disappeared as soon as it was discovered by guests. In addition, the staff was unfriendly and unresponsive, including denying the presence of mice and cockroaches in the cellar bedrooms and dining area when they were standing next to me looking at the vermin. So corrupted. Also, the downstairs bathroom was share with 8 people and was the access point to the downstairs courtyard where there would be staff smoking and the linen closet that continually distupted bathroom time for staff to retrieve "clean" sheets. I would never stay here again and I advise all readers to stay very far away.

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank Carusar211
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed in a twin room with a friend. Comfy beds, crisp clean sheets. New towels every day. The toilet/shower was shared, but was nice and clean. There was a sink +kettle & cups in the room. Breakfast which was included was OK. The variety wasn't huge, but there was plenty of everything (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, bacon, jam, bread, juice ect.)

Check in/out was a breeze and the staff was friendly and efficient. There is a pleasant garden at the back (you have to go through the reception) and a nice common room with lots of newspapers and magazines. You can leave your luggage there if you check out early. No air con, but there is a fan in the ceiling.

This hotel is far from fancy and luxurious, but great value for money in London where hotels are super expensive. If you don't mind carpet on the floor in the room and sharing a bathroom. Go for it! The location is great too. 5 minutes to the nearest tube station (Goodge street) Plus: Oxford street/ Soho/ Covent garden ect. is within walking distance.

Ps! There is no elevator, so be aware if you are a diva/ can't carry your stuff and have lots of heavy luggage :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends