“cancelled my booking with no warning!”
Review of Arran House Hotel

Arran House Hotel
Ranked #359 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“cancelled my booking with no warning!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been to this hotel a couple of times and were happy to return. until recently...
I booked my room for my family of 4 weeks ago.This week, weeks after I received my confirmation, they emailed me, cancelling the booking when I am only weeks away from our major trip from Australia.
Apparently one number in the credit card was written down incorrectly by us, they tried the card multiple times but never bothered to email us with any concerns! As soon as they emailed we called found the mistake and they said bad luck we won't re book you, and discovered it was now fully booked out. Perhaps they were overbooked all along?
We felt they showed no consideration for us as regular customers that had always done the right thing by them. let alone any customer.
I had also recommended them to other Australians traveling to London...but no more!
Beware your booking is not solid with them even if you have a confirmation for weeks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Catherine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hungarian first
Marminiac, France
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This quirky hotel has changed ownership . DID has so much going for it, great location, small but pleasant back garden, you can sit in the cellar breakfast room to eat your evening food rather than in the rooms, BUT it is now very shabby, dirty in my small room no under sheet on the mattress, curtains falling off there poles. General grime elsewhere. Allot of shared bathrooms. Staff on breakfasts were NOT welcoming at all.
I paid a mid range price but more expensive than a budget hotel which would have been better in so many ways. I hope it finds its way but in the meantime.....
Avoid rooms at the front vv noisy.

Room Tip: have a room facing the garden not the vvv busy street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank caroline r

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very nice budget hotel. No luxucy but very good for the price. Small rooms but ok. VERY serviceminded staff, nicest people. Ok breakfast, simple but ok start of the day. Perfect location.... walking distance to covent garden, restaurants and shopping district.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank evamal
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Arran House Hotel is very good for what it is: an inexpensive, decent small hotel located very conveniently in London. I stayed there for three night earlier this month. It is not fancy, the room was very small, but it was perfectly clean, the bed good enough, the wi-fi excellent, the shower and toilet facilities more than adequate (and despite what I read from some other reviewers, quite clean). The breakfast was just OK, and the coffee rather weak. But for a budget traveler, this is a good place to stay. An Underground station is just a few minutes away and numerous shops, pubs, cafes, and sights are close by too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank BK1822
denmark
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very helpfull staff. But really run down and not that clean if you looked behind the curtains. If you get a good deal, go, the staff is nice. But dont expect anything glamourous. We paid to much for what we got. would'nt choose again, bec. of so many other hotels in London. If you do stay, stay away from room near the reception as the entrence door opens and closes all night.

Room Tip: Stay away from room near entrence and reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank vipvips
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Amazing and friendly staff, comfy room and nice bed. We had a great time in London! I doubt there is a better hotel so close to the city center that doesn't ruin you. We enjoyed the breakfast as well.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Ludde189839
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I spent 4 nights here, unfortunately I had to pay everything upfront. If I hadn't, I would not have spent 1 night here. The room and bathroom (which should be called a cabin, given that it was about 1,5m2) were filthy. There were hairs from the previous guest in the shower, along with some unidentified liquids that I do not care to think about ever again. After complaining to the front desk they promised to take care of it, but when I returned at the end of the day, they hadn't done anything about it.
Besides that the room is small and dirty, the breakfast is poor and cold, and the room in which it is served is crammed. The rooms are far up many stairs and there is no elevator (nor do the people at the front desk offer to help you).
All in all, I had a terrible time here. I had read the positive reviews beforehand, but they are in no way true to the dreadful place this hotel really is.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family