Dover Castle Hostel & Flatshares
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsborough tube stationcozy hostelthe location is perfectenjoyed my staytescopoundsplug
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Such a cheap place - hence the overcrowded rooms. The continental breakfast was good, but the biggest negatives were the musty smell, and one shower for an entire floor ( and only 2 toilets). It's location is good, right next to a tube station. As aforementioned, it is not the most luxurious place, but for such a cheap price, we weren't expecting anything else.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anon111123
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This hostel is a classic cheapo backpacker hostel, noisy party-goers, stiff beds,cramped rooms and all. It is located in a great part of london,close enough to the center but far enough to be affordable. There is a metro station about two minutes away, and a whole bunch of take-aways around the area. At night, there are drug deals and prostitutes around, but I've walked around and it is very safe. Front desk is very friendly and helpful in pointing out things to do in the area. Bar downstairs is fun, but the music is unnecessarily loud. Recommended for the broke backpacker, not for the neatfreaks, noise-sensitive, or those who value personal space.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I didn't stay at the hostel but at one of the flatshares. I met some great people there but other than that it was more than disappointing. I booked to stay in a room for two months and I had to ask for the address of the place several times and only received it a day or two before I actually went to London. Once the people from Dover just entered my locked room to check for bedbugs without any notice in advance so when I returned home after work I found my bedsheets on the floor and my room a mess. The employees tried to be nice but there was nothing much they could do about it, it was just very bad customer care. The house was very dirty when I first arrived and in general I cannot recommend a stay at Dover Castle Flatshares.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank fireCactus
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Positive:
- Located in London's zone 1.
- Continental breakfast was of good quality, yet not very much seating possibilities.
- We (a group of four girls in their twenties) got to stay in a 6-bedded dorm, which we got to ourselves because we actually booked a 4-bedded private room. We needed the space of the two extra beds to put luggage, because the room was absolutely cramped.
- Nice pub downstairs with affordable drinks and cocktails.
- Staff did give us a map of London.
- To enter the building (and reception), one must enter a security code. To open the door to the dorms and rooms, one must enter another security code, thus keeping out non-guests in these areas.

Negative:
- The hostel double booked us for the final night of our 3 night stay. They offered us a room in a hotel in Greenwich (!) for this night, but transportation costs would not be refunded (and they were quite high, plus it took a long time to get there by public transport). Eventually we found a room in a hostel down the street, and got (part of) the money back we paid for that final night.
- There is a really dodgy smell about the place. I think they put the sign "cleaning in progress" up only for keeping up appearances. The place is filthy.
- Only one shower for the entire floor, without a lock on the door. I wouldn't even dream of showering there, also because of hygiene concerns.
- The pub is very noisy, 'till very late at night. This would not be a problem if the building was isolated well, but it isn't.
- No lockers for luggage, not even a secure room to store luggage in. Everyone can just walk in and out of reception, and take any bag they like.
- Bunk beds are in fact two beds placed on top of each other, without fitting them. Top bed can really fall off at any time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank evemae
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I want to start out by saying that when I made my reservation for this hostel, I was (and am) fully aware that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and that 16th century buildings take a lot of up-keep. I was also aware that this hostel was on the low-end of the hostel scale... I was not prepared for what we found when we arrived in London and walked in to this establishment.

Like everyone else we noticed the smell of this place. "Musty" is a pretty nice way to put it. I would call it "poopy" .
It literally smelled of rotting sewage throughout. The rooms were HORRIFIC- cramped smelly, dirty, and the beds were horrendous. If you were to use the shower in this place, I would strongly recommend a doctor's visit afterward because by the looks (and smell) of them, you were bathing in raw sewage.
I can't even redeem them by saying that the staff were friendly and helpful because that was just not the case... We took a look around the place, tried to get our money back (not possible) and fled. I think I would have rather stayed in the drunk tank at the local police station, at least you know they've cleaned the toilet once or twice in the past 5 years, its sad that I can't say that about Dover Castle Hostel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple