“My First Hostel...and it's a good one.”
Review of Home London

Home London
Ranked #481 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My First Hostel...and it's a good one.”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed in this hostel and had a fairly good experience. The first thing I've noticed with this hostel that it is right by the King's Cross rail station and Metro. It's a good block or two from there, so that's very convenient. There's also a Tesco Express right by in case if you need to pick up anything grocery related.

So, onto the hostel itself. The reception is generally friendly and helpful. It's a 24 hour front desk reception, so in case if you need help, you can ask them. They also have luggage storage for both people staying at the hostel and anyone else who isn't. If you are staying at the hostel, it's free, but if you aren't, it's just £3. You can also buy some basic amenities and drinks at the front desk at a decent price, but you can just go to Tesco for better variety.

The room given to us was decent. My first impression is that it looks a bit small and not exactly clean. But after spending a night in there, it really wasn't that bad. For being a hostel that has a lot of people going through it, I'm really surprised on how clean it is. Wifi to the third floor is pretty much non-existent, so you are better off in all of the floors below. The bunks have their own lamp and power outlet, but sometimes they don't work. The bathrooms and shower area weren't so bad. Shower seems to be always cold, unless I'm stupid. I suggest that you bring a cheap sandal to wear to the shower, just in case.

My only two complaints were the wifi speed and other people that I shared the room with. Other than that, it's a good hostel to stay in for a night or two. If you are screaming about rooms and facilities being completely clean, I wouldn't suggest staying here, or any hostels for that matter. So, if you want to have that "hostel" experience, I'd say this would be a good one, as it was mine.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tim W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pavia, Italy
Reviewed December 6, 2013

When I got there I was expecting a dirty and disastrous place, I was worried because of some overly negative reviews I found here. I've been at the Journeys for two nights and I was fine: small room, comfy bed, security code on the door, nice and friendly staff.
One bathroom for all the girls isn't enough, but it's ok for a short time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nova Iguaçu, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed November 18, 2013

At this hostel, you can have a good reception. The hostel is a bit small (3-floor building + basement kitchen/lounge, but all small).

The rooms are a bit small and there's no much space in the bed. There was no ladders to the second bed and I had to find a way to get to sleep.

The breakfast was ok.
Staff was ok and helpful.

There are lots of stairs, but they're only one way. Don't try to go up while someone is trying to go down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
KingsCrossOperations, Shift Manager at Home London, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
There should be a ladder leading to all beds, so just let us know when strange things like this happen, and we can get them sorted in no time!

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really appreciate reviews.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I just needed a place to stay waiting to catch a train out of London. One night was fine, the bunk was comfortable, and each had it's own plug and light which was great. A little bit of a rabbit warren but easy enough to get your head round it. Would happily use them again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank maggie e
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had read lots of good things about this hostel so booked it for a night whilst visiting to see friends. The reception constantly has a sign saying 'back in 5 mins' so we had to wait until someone did arrive in 5 mins. The reception staff are friendly but the hostel itself has got things so wrong! I have stayed in lots of hostels in many countries but this place really did annoy me. In our 3 bed female dorm, our window was broken, so couldn't open it, thank goodness it isn't summer! There was 1 toilet on the first floor to service 4 dorm rooms of girls, not pleasant plus no toilet roll! The showers, of which there were 3, all had water pressure issues, I'm talking a trickle of water at most on full power. We told reception and they said it's better on the ground floor and the pressure gets worse the higher you go. I wouldn't mind but we were on the first floor, good luck to those trying to shower who are higher! Check out is at 10am and at 9.20am the cleaner was in cleaning the showers. Why clean the showers when you want people to check out? My friend was told to go and use the showers downstairs whilst she cleaned. She did not want to walk near reception to the showers in her pj's and take a shower when we had 3 showers right next to our room. The cleaner gave in and allowed my friend to use the showers next to our room, incredible!

The hostel is very noisy because people sit near the front door at night talking and smoking, the smell also wafts up into the hostel near the rooms, not pleasant when you are a none smoker and the smell of smoke comes into your room.

You also have to pay to leave your luggage when you have checked out. It's free when you want to check in but £2 when you've checked out and just want to leave your bag there for a few hours.

I would not recommend this hostel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carlyfoodie
KingsCrossOperations, Shift Manager at Home London, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for leaving your review, we appreciate your feedback. Our cleaner does make the rounds cleaning the showers during peak times so that they do not become too unpleasant for our guests when they are under heavy use. There are showers on three of the building's four floors, so when one set are being cleaned there are alternatives. We have two sets of stairs, so you needn't walk past the reception to get there.

We regret that your window was stuck during your stay. We try to keep on top of any maintenance problems as they arise, but can only do so quickly if they are reported to us straight away. We have a maintenance staff member on duty five days a week.

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay at Journeys, and hope that you would consider staying with us again in future.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Pros : The location was fantastic, just a few mins from St. Pancras station. Free breakfast and tea/coffee throughout the day. I only stayed here as a stopover, having flown in to Luton airport late in the eve so can't really comment much on kitchen facilities, services offered or helpfulness of staff but the guy on reception was friendly enough. Bed was comfy, bathrooms clean enough and felt secure due to the door codes for both the hostel entrance and room. Wifi also worked well throughout.

Cons : Wasn't a problem for me as I can sleep through traffic noise but hostel is right on a main road so its noisy even with the window closed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cactuschild
journeyskingscross, Manager at Home London, responded to this review, May 23, 2016
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Hopefully we will see you on your next trip to London. unfortunately there is not much we can do about the noise from the street, but we do sell earplugs at reception for anyone who is a light sleeper.
Prospect, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Great location near the King's cross subway station, Tesco grocery store across street, friendly staff, great price, good breakfast included, great wifi signal in 17 bed basement dorm room, comfortable beds with curtains.

Cons: Basement gets very hot in summer heat, 17 bed dorm was very messy with luggage everywhere, basement shower I used had almost no water pressure as well as visible mould growth on door and air vent, bad wifi reception in common area of basement.

I would stay here again but I would try to get a room upstairs rather than in the basement as it felt a bit claustrophobic with the lack of windows and the heat.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sinead M
Hi there! thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. Just for next time, we have fixed to water pressure in the bathrooms. we do try to keep the rooms as neat as possible but unfortunately the mess is something that comes with communal living. Hopefully we will see you on your next trip to London :)