“Run as far away from this place as you can” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Fern Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Silver Fern Hostel
Ranked #666 of 828 Specialty Lodging in London
Montreal, Canada
“Run as far away from this place as you can”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

We were pleased with the location but it started off quite badly when we had to climb 10 flights of stairs to get to our room. The room was dingy at best and we didn't even get into the bed...we figured it's just 2 nights, we'll tough it out. Unfortunately, the roof deck was outside our window and we were kept awake most of the night by drunken partyers. If that wasn't bad enough, on the second night when we returned to our room and turned on the lights we were greeted by many cockroaches. We packed up and left. The hostel refused to give us another room, a refund, a partial refund or to even help us find other accommodations. At midnight we walked out and went to find another place to stay. We wrote letters and made phone calls but to no avail. We were never written back or helped out. Hostelworld wasn't helpful either although they did remove the listing not long afterward.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank taralynn121

Solo
Business
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

When we stayed there, it was billing itself as a HOTEL. (They seem to have changed their name to HOSTEL now, which is more honest.) If I had known it was a hostel, I would have been prepared for roughing it. The website said "Linens included," and I thought it was a hotel, so we didn't bring towels. The shower was 17" x 17" (I am not exaggerating) and filthy. There wasn't a drain cover, and I had to reach my hand into the drain and pull out a handful of sludge and hair so the water would not pool at my feet. The building is falling down and dirty. We couldn't wait to be gone and we'll never go back. I am amazed that another reviewer could give it a 5 star rating! Yuck! We've stayed in rustic hostels in the Rocky Mountains, but they were all clean. Unless this place has drastically improved since we were there, I'd keep looking.

It was our stay at this place that led me to Trip Advisor to check out reviews of hotels before we booked, and ever since then we have never had another bad experience!

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — dirty, shabby
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2005

My first impression was the smell. There are so many doors in that place that air cannot circulate, and you get little hallways that are hazy with smoke. The stale cigarette smoke and whatever else is there reeks.

My second impression was my wet bed. Gross!

I don't expect the Hilton, but the beds were literally frightening. They were bunk beds from mismatched sets, fastened together in a makeshift way that made them uncomfortable and a bit worrisome to sleep in.

Our paid in advance reservation with cancelled on us without notice, leaving us to find another place (without getting our money back) at short notice.

• Stayed April 2002
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

For a budget traveler, the place is decent given the central location. I shared a room with five others--tiny room with three bunk beds. But I could care less personally. I was there to sight see while on a minimum budget. The place offered me a bed (complete with linens and pillow) and a place to get clean (shower in the hall). There are actually quite a lot of people there living on a more semi-permanent basis, and they're really fun to chat to.

• Stayed January 2003
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2004

I won't lie and say that this place has the most luxurious facilities, because it doesn't. If you're looking for non-temperamental, huge showers, then you'd be better off at the Ritz or the Hilton.

If you are, however, looking for having the time of your life and meeting a myriad of people from different backgrounds, this is the place to be at.

The people who work here are extremely nice, from Tyron the Big Boss (aka the dude who wears that ubiquitous hat) to Daniel (dude who wears a blue and white Aiesec in Poland key holder) to Anna, the nice lady who had the misfortune of cleaning room numro eleven. There's another guy who works there during the day---Machek (sp?)---who kinda looks like that long-haired dude from the movie "Unfaithful."

The people who actually stay at the Silver Fern are wicked awesome. Should you be thirsty for a Vodka Ice and you have no bottle opener ready, look for the rocker dude Darren, who can open bottles with his teeth.

Pillows are quite abundant in here, and should you need more pillows, the person to run to would be Daniel, who is the night manager. He loves pillows so much that he's willing to give everyone extra pillows. Word to the wise: when speaking to Daniel, make sure to use the "big" words such as "instantaneous" because he can only understand the hard words.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member