“This place is a homeless hostel! Avoid!”

Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel
Ranked #525 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Please do not stay at this hell hole. It may be cheap, but by God it's an utter crap hole!

I LOVE hostels. They are a great way to travel on a budget and are generally full of welcoming, friendly, like minded folk. That is NOT the case here.

This place is a homeless hostel, and no matter what the website or booking sites say, I'm convinced of that.

I shared a room on the first floor with 11 other people, and not one person even as much as said hello to me, even after I tried to initiate some basic pleasantries! The room was vile (it reeked), and the shared shower and toilet facilities are absolutely appalling.

There are always people hanging about on the steps of the hostel, which can be intimidating. It wasn't for me, mainly because I don't let tramps bother me, but for many travellers in a foreign city, this ain't good.

Now, as with all hostels, you are strongly advised to make use of the on-site lockers etc; well, here they go one step further by having notices telling you to use the security deposit boxes at reception because otherwise "IT'S DANGEROUS!!!". Okay, fair enough. Just being cautious, I guess. Well, NO. Not just being cautious. For the first time ever, whilst hostelling, someone rummaged through my personal belongings! Who the [--] does that?!?! I have stayed in many hostels and never once has this happened to me. It was probably some vile, smelly homeless junkie!

Let's move onto the noise. OMG, the noise is shocking! All night long all I heard was doors being slammed. A.L.L N.I.G.H.T!!!

Listen, everyone can make their own mind up as to whether this place is worth it. Depending on your budget and expectations, it might be. However, please do take some advice and take yourself to a YHA Hostel, or a Clink Hostel. They are far superior in every way. They are safer, cleaner, more welcoming... Everything you want from a hostel.

I can't stress enough - AVOID this place!!! It's not worth saving £5 a night!!!

Just to balance this slightly, here is what I liked:

* The bunk beds have curtains on them for privacy, however, if you suffer from claustrophobia, they're not for you.

AND

* The location - it's a great area and easy to navigate.

That is literally all I liked. Isn't that shocking?

If, after having read this review, you think "Oh, surely it can't be that bad. This guy must be a bit up himself", well read my other reviews - I always give credit where credit is due, and this place doesn't deserve any.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Steven B
There are newer reviews for Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very well located, near Bayswater and Queensway tube stations and Hyde Park; it includes continental breakfast and it's quite cheap. But there is no lift so make sure you're in shape if you bringing big suitcases. Good if you're spending a couple of nights there. Toilets are not 5 stars but overall I'm not complaining. There's a hot girl at the reception, well there was one last week.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed there for 14 days and had so much fun meeting people from other countries. The staff were helpful in any queries I had and it was very close to underground stations and many eateries too. A bank just around the corner plus supermarket too. I am going back next year and plan to stay at Hyde Park Inn Hostel again. It was the first time I had ever stayed in a hostel and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ground floor has female dorm for 9 but its a little noisy at night, but I took earplugs and it was g...
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was looking for a good hostel to bed down for one night with early check in.

This ticked all the boxes. Clean and tidy with friendly staff.

The real key for me was being able to check in at 11am. Huge plus!!

I was in a 4 bed dorm. A little small but hey it's a hostel and was £20!!!! Can't complain for a great location.

I'm surprised at the comments about the staff. I found them friendly and fun.

I was traveling to watch football so only needed a place to crash but this place was ideal!

Room Tip: Get the 4 person room.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hostel regularly hosts large groups of teenagers who can be extremely loud. We're talking about slamming doors every 30 seconds, running around the halls, shouting to eachother in the halls. Staff tried to calm these teens down but it didn't work and while it's a shame that it shouldn't be blamed on the staff, the hostel suffers because it does this on a regular basis. When I complained, some of the staff took me seriously while others just said "well - they're teenagers". If you want peace and quiet, do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This place is unwelcoming, overcrowded, unclean and unsavoury. If you want to have a pitt stop for London, please don't stay here as it will only ruin your actual experience of the city!

Yes it's cheap...but 'budget' accommodation shouldn't be an excuse for TERRIBLE accommodation. I've been to hostels all over the world. Even the hostels in the depth of Tanzania trumped this place of squaller. My words are harsh, but from my experience...I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to stay here! It's just not pleasant!

I booked for three nights stay, and left after just one night at 5:30am in the morning just to escape the place as soon as I could! I didn't even care about retrieving my £10 deposit. That's how much I needed to get out of the place!
Pay an extra £3 per night and stay in a hostel like the YHA just round the corner, smack bang in the middle of Holland Park, for example.
If you want a terrible nights sleep, dirty conditions, uncomfortable vibes, cramped rooms, unsavoury people...then this is the place for you! But no one wants or DESERVES that surely!
Just seen a fellow reviewer commenting on how this place needs to be put to the ground..I totally agree. It's a disgrace that the business is still able to run.
There is absolutely no love for this place, which is a real shame as the location is great.

4  Thank Lizzie F
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great location, close to the tube,quiet surrounding with enough restaurants and shops around. The staff-excellent! The facilities and rooms were average,beds too small for taller people. The wi fi works only near the reception.

Room Tip: The beds were enough for us (1,70) but for some who are bigger could be a problem. Bring your own lo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends