“Average”

Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel
Ranked #526 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 5 nights. To tell the truth, it is overpriced. I have booked a twin private ensuite room few months in advance, paid too much but I am not complaining because all I wanted was a good location and my own bathroom which I got. But to be honest, hostel is not that clean and there is no lift. Our room was on top (4th) floor and it was a bit annoying. Also, the rooms are tiny. There was a bunk bed, wash basin was in the same room as the bed, and the bathroom was separated. It was so tiny, 2 m2 max! Also, the maid came every day. She/he didn't touch our stuff, they just cleaned the bathroom and took the trash out, what I appreciated. All our stuff was untouched, nopthing was stolen or missing, and we even left the window open while we were out.
But at least it was clean, and you get used to it, after all - if you're going to book this one, don't do it if you want luxury. If you want a place to sleep and have a shower, I say go for it.
As for the staff, I found all of them nice and willing to help. I read here that they were rude and unhelpful, but I saw most of them and they were okay.
The internet is free only for one hour, but works only if you have your own device to connect from. Otherwise, it is one pound per hour. The computers are a bit slow but you'll manage.

I peaked into the other rooms and showers, rooms are cramped and showers seemed dirty but I can't tell for sure. The kitchen is so - so, I haven't used it but it's nothing special.
Haven't tried their breakfast either so can't tell either.

All in all - it was solid, better than I expected while reading the reviews on here.
People, if you want luxury, book a hotel. If you're on a budget, book a hostel, that's pretty much it.

I also loved the neighbourhood! It is close to everything! Hyde park is beautiful, there are 2 undeground stations nearby, within 3 minutes walking distance. There are lots of souvenir shops, there is Sainsbury's nearby, and some pubs.

To sum it up, I loved it all! The city, the people, even the hostel wasn't bad!

Room Tip: Oh, the rooms have no A/C. There was no noise in the evening, I slept like a baby. The bed was comfo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel

Reviewed September 28, 2012

You can find lot of young people from everywhere. Area is pretty but expansive like this youth hostel. Room of 4 or 6 people is really good but around 24£ per night. I meet people which have room of 14 or 20 people and they says that it's was terrible. If you want a cheaper room you can find other hostel near Bayswater.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hostel changed!!
After 5 years where I had stayed more than a week, I went last february with my friends ...
A dormitory for 20 people (10 base) with a window ridiculous ... bunk beds on 3 floors ... noisy, breakfast ... I'll say nothing about it and even more the bathroom !!! (my friens didn't ve a shower for 2 days).
But it's sad because the area is very nice! But don't go there !!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights with a friend for the Olympics.
So, it is a hostel, so it is cheap, but is dirty, noise (normal for a Hostel, ok) and - sorry to say - unclimatised for the summer. I have sweat a lot during the night !
The breakfast is very poor, with just bread, butter, jam, flakes, coffee and milk. Also the kitchen soundes a little dirty.
Wi fi didn't work for me and my friend.
But let's be honest: the location is fine, and the building is huge. So there's room to improve the service, the quality and the satisfaction of the guests...
Well, in my opinion it's hard to find the REAL Hostel enviroment at Smart Hyde Park Inn Hostel.
It is cold, in terms of service. I mean, sounds that the point is only to run the business, not make guests really happy.

Room Tip: Avoid the 16 people room, if you are not prepared for that !!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Appeared clean and tidy although I did check in drunk and blurry eyed at 3am.

Great that I could check in at that time as it meant I could spend my time watching the Olympics at Hyde Park on the large screen.

Friendly feel to the place. Nice staff and a real bargain.

Location close to Hyde Park is good. Near to Bayswater Tube although I walked everywhere as I wanted to experience as much as I could.

Would stay here again for the price - amazing value. Bunks with curtains is a good idea for privacy and to keep the light out when people were up earlier than me!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend with a friend in the 6 bed female ensuite dorm and it was great value for money. The room was clean, the bathroom was a little small but spotless. Privacy was maintained by curtains around the bunks. For your own comfort I'd recommend bringing a sleeping bag but the sheets were spotless. It was also very hot in the room with no air con, but you can't have everything. The staff are really friendly and helpful, also as they are often very stressed if you a little kind to them they bend over backwards to help you. The atmosphere is great and the location is perfect for exploring London and 2 minutes from a tube and supermarkets if you want to cook in the hostel.
While some of the interior is a little shabby, you get what you pay for and I would definitely come back again and recommend it to others if you don't mind roughing it :)

Room Tip: Choose an ensuite, the facilities are much better than the communal bathrooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I spent 5 days in London and had the best days of my life. The nights, however, were just terrible, once i stayed in a bedroom with another 17 people, very hot in the summer, noisy and all the bad things you can imagine for a Hostel. The location is also not THAT good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends