“Go and See This Museum!”

Museum of London Docklands
Ranked #76 of 1,718 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: From Roman settlement to Docklands’ regeneration, unlock the history of London’s river, port and people in this historic warehouse. Discover a wealth of objects from whale bones to WWII gas masks in state-of-the-art galleries, including Mudlarks, an interactive area for kids; Sailortown, an atmospheric re-creation of 19th century riverside Wapping; and London, Sugar & Slavery, which reveals the city’s involvement in the transatlantic slave trade. FREE ENTRY
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 7, 2013

If you are visiting London, this is a MUST SEE!
It is a short walk from the DLR station at West India Quay. Entrance to the museum is free of charge as well.
The walk through the museum takes you through the development of the docks and surrounding area from Roman times to the present day. The exhibits are well presented, with plenty of explanations and background information available. There are also full-size dioramas of the area so you can get a real feel for what it must have been like to live and work in the area. All aspects of trade are explored, including the slave trade.
I could have spent several days in the museum. Dad (an ex-lighterman) would have loved it.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Took my daughter for a ride around the DLR and stopped off at the MOL Docklands as it was recommended by a friend.

Glad we did. 5 year old loved the Mudlarks section even though she was too tall for the soft play, the other interactives grabbed her attention.

We both enjoyed the free Estuary exhibition.

The other galleries provided opportunity to talk about war, ships, docks, shops, cargoes, maps, world with my daughter.

I though the shop offer was quite poor, but I do work in Museum retail buying so know the limitations.

Will definitely be back.

1  Thank ibelongtoguy
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a shame - as a family of 3 (mum dad and 8 year old) we ADORE the Museum of London as there is so much there, presented in an engaging way for kids. As a day out thought we'd try MoL Docklands. The building itself is lovely - really well restored, however we all found the layout just a bit too dull. The Sailortown section was engaging and the WW2 part also engaged my daughter (partly as it is the current topic at school), but the rest was sadly a museum at it's worst, stuff in cases...

We were done within the hour, sat down to have a cuppa in the café at 5.30 (the museum shuts at 6) only to have the lights turned out on us and cleaners mopping under the table whilst we were sitting there!!!

My daughter tried the Mudlarks section which would be fun for say unders 6's but at 8 there was nothing there (or anywhere else in the museum) to engage her.

Such a shame - one for adults only I think.

2  Thank sarahv70
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Beautiful building, dimly (cosy) lit rooms, easy to read descriptions,beautiful and interesting paintings, lots of history covered, including the Docks and the London's Whaling Industry. Enjoyable videos, and some funny descriptions from said by people involved in the war. Could do with more seating, as there is so much to see, I wanted to take a rest!

I didn't go to the cafe, as we took hot drinks and homemade sandwiches. It is a lovely cafe though, if I had the money, I would go there. It is a nice place to bring a friend along.

I would liked to have had some postcards of London's views of the Docklands.

I was very impressed, beautifully done and well thought out. I didn't read everything as so much, but hope to go back again. It is a good place for a rainy day and for a cold winter day. It is also a good place to cycle to, although we couldn't find any cycle racks nearby.

On the downside, some of the parents were shouting at their kids all the time, telling them what to do at every moment, that was annoying. The toilets would have been nice, but some people couldn't be bothered to flush the loo and others didn't wash their hands. j

2  Thank cyclingbabe
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Reserve at least 2 hours otherwise you'll have to hurry through the museum like we did. We had just one hour as the museum was closing. Anyway the magnitude of exhibits, documents and the information gathered on three floors of a former dock building is fantastic (if not to say overwhelming...). The entrance is free what makes this site one of the best deals while visiting London, however it's well worth your donation if you can afford it. Best access to the museum is by DLR trains and West India Quay Station, but there are also signs from the Westferry station. Highly recommended.

1  Thank KrisD_pl