“Good standard!”
Review of 1 Lexham Gardens

1 Lexham Gardens
Ranked #903 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 20, 2014

A nice budget hotel a nice walk down from Clouchester Road Station. Nearby is a Sainsbury supermarket. Clean hotel with OK breakfast. You pay £1 extra for 24hour wifi. Its a little bit to close to a big road so its a bit noicy (earplugs was a hit).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank Marcus E
There are newer reviews for 1 Lexham Gardens

Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel was clean and great value for the price. The staff were always super friendly and it was generally a great stay for me and my partner. Looking forward to my next London trip - Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 957janda
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I work stay in London 3 nights a week , every week, and am used to staying in the cheaper style of hotel and not much shocks me!

I was pretty impressed upon arrival. Nice Victorian Façade, lovely looking lounge area and dining room. Things took a dive the second I went to check in. The receptionist barely even looked at me, asked for my passport and glared suspiciously at it, gave me a room card and told me she needed a £5 deposit on the card. I stat I didn’t have any cash on me so she asked for my credit card, which again she started at without seemingly doing anything with it. So after this happy start I went to get in the lift where I waiting and nothing happened after pressing the button twice, so started up the stairs with my heavy case.

As I say, I am used to cheap rooms so I wasn’t that troubled to find a very very small room up a set of internal stairs. The single bed was in the corner with a flat screen tv at the end of the bed on the wall. There was plentiful coffee and tea the cordless kettle did not seem to belong on its base, and wobbled, although it did work. The bathroom seemed to belong to an entirely more cheerful room, tiled and done out nicely with plenty of products and a couple of clean white towels.

The outlook from the window was truly dismal. A large pipe ran along the window ledge providing a constant background noise of gurgling water. And then the real noise started. I had wondered what the locked cupboard door was for, and then when the high pitch whirring sound started and the clunk click of a heavy door. It transpires the works door to the lift is in my room. Oh crumbs I thought, but I had ear plugs with me and was knock out tired so thought it would all be ok. And indeed it was all ok, until about 12.30am when I awoke to a hot itchy feeling on my arm. I got out of bed and had a look. I had 3 small round red blobs a couple of inches up from my right wrist. I took a piriton and then started taking my bed apart to find out what had bitten me. My window was closed due to the big pipe noise so I knew nothing had come in. I knew then that it could only be one thing….. BED BUGS. As I could not find a creature to squash and present to reception I put the sheet back over the mattress and slept on the duvet cover on the floor.

6am the next morning my arm is livid itchy, and I am not a happy customer. But I need to get to work. That morning at work I phoned and spoke to a very helpful man on reception who said he would call out the pest people to have a look. Without prompting he said he would give me another room. Good stuff, I thought. Then I started worrying about all my clothes etc in the infested room, so asked him to move all my stuff too, and he agreed he would.
Later on I worried that I would get to the hotel and none of the above would have happened and I would be sleeping with the bed bugs again. By this point my arm was up like a big pink balloon and throbbed like it had its own pulse. So I phoned again and spoke to the same young man, who volunteered that the pest control had been to the room and had put some “medicine” in the room. He also informed me that they had discovered one “adult” bed bug, in my bed. Shudder…………..

Anyway, I couldn’t move hotels as this one was paid for so it was back to Lexham Gardens with my big fat red itchy hot arm. Upon arrival I see the hostess with the mostess from yesterday on reception again. I told her I was moving due to bed bugs in my previous room. She did not apologise or even look at me, just handed me a card for a room on the 4th floor and told me all my stuff had been moved.

And, indeed it had, which was nice. So I ended up in a loft room with a radiator on full blast which I couldn’t switch off, a window that wouldn’t stay open so I had to lodge a mug in it, a bathroom with no blind at the window and work men outside it on the scaffolding so I had to put my suitcase in front of it, and a tv which only had shopping channels programmed into it (although this was rectified the next day).

All that asides, I would still have stayed here every week because it’s so close to my work, fairly cheap, and room number two was big enough, there was plenty of tea coffee and bathroom products, plentiful hot water, and it was relatively quiet. Another plus was the breakfast, bread, cheese, jams, boiled eggs and beans, with a big basket of fruit.

But, as I had to take time out of work to attend an urgent care centre for my inflamed arm and also either chuck out or boil my clothing I had with me once I got home I would never ever stay here again. It simply is not worth risking getting bitten, but worse still, taking the bugs home with you and getting an infestation in your house.

It was a horrible experience which could have been a really winner with me. This isn’t a case of attention to detail, it’s an out and out health hazard.

Room Tip: I would not under any circumstances recommend you stay in this hotel. Do your homework and check the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank LifeOnAPlate
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Roaches - millions of them - rude staff except for the overnight guy, a flooded toilet (even after the repair man showed up) and no shower curtain for the very low showers. I'd never go back. The only thing this hotel was good for was the unbelievable stories that my sister and I could tell about it once we arrived home.

Room Tip: Bring roach spray...and your own sheets and towels (ew)!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julesc42
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I had a trip to London this March. I didn't reserve a room beforehand. So I was looking for a chip Hotel with good location from the center of London. I have watched a few Hotels in Kensington&Chelsea. In this region the Hotel Lexham was the most chip with very good location near 2 center underground lines. Reception could check in me immediately. So I decided to stay in this hotel. I had a room at the 4th floor. It was double room with 2 bads, small bathroom. There wasn't a refrigerator but there were tea and coffee with hot water. The room was clean but not so clean as you hope. There was a breakfast very morning with sandwiches and tea/coffee/orange juice.
This is good Hotel, not expansive in central of London. Just to spend the night the hotel is ideal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums Good location near museums

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in September, everything was fine apart from the BEDBUGS. I came out in red bites all over my body and was so terrified when I got home and saw one tiny insect in a cupboard, I threw out my own bed and mattress and took a trip to ikea the same day. budget hotel but really not work getting one of the rooms with the bed bugs.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends