“Avoid this hotel”
Review of 1 Lexham Gardens

1 Lexham Gardens
Ranked #903 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The outside of the hotel and lobby area look nice. However, once you pay for your stay and get past these areas it becomes horrific! The hallway smelled and had bits of rubbish on the floors. It would not be a good place to stay if you had respiratory problems. Our twin room had black marks all over the walls. It looked like someone had gone for a run on the walls. The bathroom door would not fully close. During the night we were woken up by what sounded like domestic violence in the room next to ours. We phoned down to reception several times, however, no one answered. We did not feel safe leaving our room. In the morning we raised our concerns with the manager. He was rude and racially abusive towards us. He clearly had a problem with white people. We were quite surprised by this as we had been so polite to him. We felt so unsafe that we decided to forego our second night at this hotel and booked elsewhere. This is the worst hotel and customer service experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jay M

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as a couple for 12 nights in October. Our double standard room was on the first floor and we had a nice balcony and view. The room was super tiny, lik this whole hotel, only two people can fit in the elevator, and if you carry luggage forget about it. The room was rather clean, except some strange marks on the carpet. The bathroom was so tiny, if you sit on the bathroom your legs and arms will bump into the tiny sink next to you. The shower is a tiny tiny cube and no hot water was available after 1 AM. The WI-FI signal was poor and hardly worked, only if you go downstairs to the lobby it worked properly. The location was ok, 5-7 minutes walk to the tube station, and a very nice Sainsbury's store next to the hotel. When leaving you have to pay 1 pound per bag for luggage storage, which is held in the reception by the sofa. If you have a hand bag they count it as a bag as well and you have to pay for it! The receptionist always seem to be busy with stuff that is not related to their work, like watching movies, listening to music. No goodbye or greeting were said to us unless we triggered the conversation.
Overall, i wouldn't stay in this hotel again, definitely not for 12 nights, a short term stay is ok i guess.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the basement rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Evil_Yogurt
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is in a fabulous location, 10 minutes (if that) walk from Gloucester Road Underground, just off Cromwell Road. The room I was in made the most of very little space and I would have been very happy with it had it not been for the lack of soundproofing. I stayed for 2 nights in a basement room (number 007, believe it or not). On the first night, I was woken by the sound of the rain splashing down in to huge puddles outside (the single glazed window kept very little noise out). The second night it was shouting from inside the hotel that woke me.
I am not a light sleeper and wou d suggest that this hotel would merit a much higher mark if they would only apply a little soundproofing.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank lynnem41
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked this hotel after doing some research and it seemed to be ok, and it was in Kensington, it can't be that bad.

Oh, how wrong was I...

We arrived at just after noon, to be greeted by what I thought to be the receptionist on her mobile phone. After she finished her conversation, it turned out she was not the receptionist, but her friend. We waited 10 minutes for the receptionist to arrive, during which time, no attempt was made to contact her, but I did notice the shocking state of the decor of the lobby area.

When she finally did arrive, we asked to check in and the response was epic, quote "No, it's not two o'clock". Wow...

I asked if there was somewhere we could leave our luggage and was pointed, literally, no words involved, to a corner of the lobby!

Feeling sure the service would live up to this high standard for the rest of the stay, we left the bags and went to find alternative accomodation. Literally just around the corner from this hole is a Premier Inn, we walked in told them out storey and within 5 mins had a new booking for the very reasonable price of £87. We walked back around the corner and my fears about Lexham were confirmed, we walked in off the street, picked up two bags and left without any question what so ever!

DO NOT STAY HERE. If you need a hotel in this area try the Premier Inn on Knaresborough Place, a vastly superior hotel for very little extra.

Room Tip: Don't book one!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Martin K
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have spent two nights here and the so called "standard single room" I was given, was terrible. The room was in the basement, to begin with. Not only there were no windows where I could see outside, but there was a terrible smell of humidity as well. I immediately rejected the room but according to the receptionist, she could have made a change only if I acted within two minutes of me seeing the room.
Aside from this incident, in all fairness, the hotel is located 5-6 minutes walk to Glouchester subway station, which is about 1/2 hr subway ride to the center. There are a few restaurants, markets and convenient stotes nearby.
Whoever is considering staying at this hotel, please make sure that you do not make your decision base on the exterior view or that at least you will not be staying in one of the basement rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank kbaransel
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Lexham garden hotel is conveniently located near the Gloucester road and Earl's court tube station, the bus station is also nearby, #74 bus heads toward central london. There's a sainsbury just around the corner which is open until midnight which is really helpful for buying snacks and whatnot. It's also easy to get to the hotel from Heathrow since the picadilly line stops at Earls court.

Hotel: The hotel is very clean with spacious lobby for a 2 star hotel. The family room was very very spacious but the bathroom was on the small side. You can't properly change clothes inside because you'll keep bumping against something. Simple toiletries we're provided but we're simply just too small. The floors of the corridors creaked when you walked on it since the building is an old Victorian house, so do mind your step during late hours, we found that people in a hurry made the creaking sound so loud. There is no air conditioning in the room so you have to open the window, but i suggest that you request for a room not facing the street because if you have a street view and open the window for air, the noise from outside can get loud.

Breakfast: It was okay but we would have liked to have more variety. It was the same thing everyday.

Overall: I would stay here again, but preferably not in the summer months. =)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Katherine425
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Having read some poor reviews I expected the worst, however inside the hotel is very clean and pleasantly decorated. The hotel is 5 mins from Gloucester road station and close to many shops and restaurants including a large Sainsburys. The staff were polite but not overly friendly. The room was comfortable and warm and as I was up on the third floor I wasnt troubled by noise from the road. The bathroom was very small, the sink was tiny and you had to step over the toilet to reach it. There was a problem getting hot water from the shower, and if you sat on the toilet your knees were against the shower door! The size of the sink made it impossible to fill the kettle so I had to fill it with a mug. The wi fi signal was adequate but did fluctuate, the TV was wall mounted and worked. For the price I paid it was acceptable and for the location, I would probably stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo