“Good Hotel to Explore Greenwich”

De Vere Devonport House
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Recently stayed at Devonport House for my birthday. Check in was easy and the staff were very pleasant. The room we were given overlooked the graveyard and beehives. The room was average but comfortable with a good bed but very hot over night even with the radiator on 1. the hotel was well sited for visiting the sites of Greenwich and will possibly go back again

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location so convenient for exploring all the local area has to offer! My apologies that you found the room to be hot, for future reference we do have fans and cooling units available at request.

i do hope to welcome you back to Devonport House again soon!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here 17-19th December to celebrate my birthday. He had a works do in London on the 17th and I checked in to the hotel separately - after him. At check in the receptionist was very helpful. I was instructed by my husband that I had Carte Blanche on the Room Service Menu as I did not check in til 9pm and had yet to eat.

Always a bit dubious about room service in big hotels as food is often cold by the time it arrives. I had needn't have worried. Once I got into the room I unpacked (there was a lack of drawers - but a wardrobe, and plenty of space in the bathroom. Bed was comfy and I found the menu.

Ordered my food and drinks and they arrived hot and within 20 mins. Brilliant!
Chilled out - watch the flat screen TV and chomped on my dinner.

As I had some time to kill I had a good mooch around the hotel - and it was a bit of a labyrinth at first. I loved the break out stations - this is a place geared up for conferences and corporate training - but to have free lattes and hot chocolate and all the choc chip biscuits and flapjacks I wanted - I was in heaven. Took a latte to my room and waited for husband to return - here did with a handful of his fellow managers - so we hit the bar. It was past midnight - but bottled beers and wine were still available. Nice lounge to drink in and chat. Thet had a good night at the party venue.

Next morning we explored the park, observatory, Maritime Museum, Cutty Sark, walked the Greenwich Foot tunnel under the Thames, got th DLR to Victoria Docks and took the cable car over to the O2, Great fun! We then took the clipper on the Thames from the O2 back to Greenwich Pier.

Lovely Lunch at the Trafalgar Tavern.

Got back to the hotel, and back to the room to find a nice plate with chocolates and strawberries and a Happy Birthday Message for me - from the hotel - that was nice.

In the evening we ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was good, well presented and the service could not be faulted. We were given a complimentary dessert tray as it was my birthday - but how the restaurant knew we had no clue. We are guessing reception let them know.

The reception team were very good and even helped me out with booking another hotel in the Devere Group for Boxing Day as we fancied another mini-break after the festivities.

As a whole the room was adequate, clean and comfy, warm, and nicely furnished. The BB&D rate was good, and the staff there pleasant and helpful.

If I was coming to explore the area - or London as a whole I would use this little area of calm on the outskirts as a nice base an it made a lovely birthday break.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased that you enjoyed your birthday stay with us so much. The Reception, Kitchen and Restaurant teams will be thrilled to hear such complimentary ciomments regardign the service they offered both you and your husband during your stay and it is great to hear that they helped in making your bithday stay that little bit special!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport House again soon!

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Not bad hotel , cheap to stay, nice breakfasts , nice beds and very close to all the great cafés , bars , museums of beautiful greenwich , But We were there for the week end as a break for my partner who is not well , and she was kept awake by music banging away from the function rooms , not good if your getting over serous illness fir rave music do loud it's moving the windows even in the third floor , really spoilt the week end , stay again? No chance , ring ahead folks and ask for your rooms away from the party's they have

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phillymorris
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your review, my apologies that an otherwise enjoyable stay was disturbed by noise from a function. As with most hotels this is the Christmas Party season which can result in a little more noise than one would normally expect. When functions such as this are in the hotel we do try our best to accommodate guests not with parties well away from them, hence you being on the third floor whereas our function space is on the ground floor and a separate building. However my aqpologies that you were still disturbed despite the best efforts of the team to minimise this.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked an executive room for a night in Greenwich.
The Devonport has important advantages - fabulous location overlooking the Cutty Sark, close to restaurants / bars,
ample car parking, a spacious room. Staff efficient.
However, if staying for more than one night beware - good sized room had a wardrobe about 15 inches wide holding a full sized ironing board + steam iron. Maybe room for one coat. No drawers, hooks or cupboards, so you have to like living from suitcases!
For the location I would stay again - but only for a night!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and i am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Based on feedback such as yours we are currently in the process of looking at additional storage facilities for our contemporary rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport House again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed for 1 night to attend a private function in London. The hotel was fine in terms of the accommodation it provided, although it was very disappointing and utterly characterless internally given it is within a historic group of buildings in Greenwich. Difficult to open or close the windows,and therefore to control the temperature in the room, and sound-proofing between the room and corridor was poor. All in all the hotel was expensive for what it actually provided. Location was great, within easy walking distance of DLR station, Cutty Sark, Greenwich Pier etc.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and i am disspaointed to hear that you felt the building characterless. Many of our meeting room and public areas have retained the original features such as lovely firepalces and high ceilings, our Churchill Suite features a marble lobby with original inscriptions detailign the original design, funding and usage of the building and spectacular oak panelled walls, our Officer's Mess bar and lounge have also been sympathetically restored. The bedrooms themselves do not contain many period features as the original use of the buildign was Nurses accommodation for the Seaman's Hospital and as such the bedrooms were in large dormitory style. My apologies that you could not close the window properly. The windows were in fact all restored individually by hand last year, such is our commitment to keeping the building in its original splendor as well as our obligation do do so being both Grade II Listed and part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Recently stayed at Devonport House as we were going to a concert at the O2 arena.

Check in was easy and the staff were very pleasant.

The room we were given overlooked the graveyard and faced onto the road. We couldn't shut the window in the room which meant that we couldn't keep out the traffic noise (or the cold) but this wasn't too noticeable.

The bed was very comfortable and had a good nights sleep, right up to the point when someone started hammering pipes somewhere nearby at around 8am on the Sunday morning!

A reasonable hotel for the money, but could do with a little modernisation and a few repairs.

1  Thank shjc71

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. i will certainly pass on your feedback to our maintenance team so they can be more considerate in future when they are completing their works. You will be pleased to hear that we are in the process of modernising areas of the property with the public areas having new carpets laid in the new year.

I hope to welcome you back to Devonport House again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I am a first time art trader at Greenwich Market. Coming from Bristol and not knowing the area I was a little bit apprehensive about the booking. My day had started at 0400 and I finally checked in at 1930. Exhausted, I arrived and I couldn't believe what I had found! Since I had gotten such a great price for my night's stay, I had wholly expected a typically styled London hotel, but the gardens are spacious and the lobby looked inviting. Staff at the check-in desk couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

The room was a tastefully decorated double and it was immaculate. The large bathroom had a very nice bathtub/shower. I had asked the staff what they would recommend for a room service meal and I enjoyed the burger meal quite a bit. The bed was comfy but I would have preferred a room further away from the lift because I could hear the other guests comings and goings. Otherwise I enjoyed a peaceful night sleep.

Since the hotel was only a 3 minute walk to the Market I was able to schedule parking in their lot for the next day. I was also offered the chance to store my luggage and they even offered to purchase

I rarely write reviews but I was so pleased with my experience that I felt like I needed to say something positive. I will definitely stay at the Devonport House the next time I am in Greenwich.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us whilst tradign at the market. I quite agree with my colleagues reccommendation for your meal, our burger is really good! I hope you had a successful day's trading and lookforward to welcoming you back to Devonport House next time you are trading.