1,667 results
All reviewsmaritime museumcutty sarkgreenwich parkroyal observatorytravelzoo dealnaval collegethames clipperqueens housevisiting greenwichlocal attractionsthere is no air conditioningdocklands light railwayexcellent locationdlr stationcentral londonbuffet breakfasteasy access
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had lunch at Devonport House today after a walk around Greenwich. The lunch had been booked through Christine Haylock and she arranged for our 91 year old birthday guest to be shown some of the rooms as she had worked at Devonport House over 30 years ago when it was used by the NHS. Many thanks Christine. We were very disappointed with the Carvery lunch and we were told by our Daughter that the standard was not up to that offered by other De Vere hotels that they had stayed in and enjoyed. The beef and chicken were dry, the crackling to the pork soft and the vegetables were of a poor selection. Roast potatoes soft. The plates were very cool as the heat plate had not been turned on. A couple of items I had to ask to be topped up i.e. apple sauce and the cheese for cheese and biscuits. My daughter found herself clearing the table between the courses as the waitresses and waiter were not always available. Upon my daughter drawing this to the attention of the Manager he arranged for a couple of us to have complimentary coffees and drinks for others. However, we had to chase for the offered glass of wine as they seemed to have forgotten about it!
All credit to the lovely receptionist though who, after lunch, took us to parts of the hotel as arranged with Christine. She was very polite and lovely in the manner in which she spoke with our guest. Many thanks again.
So our meal was not as we had hoped. My husband and I had a very nice sandwich lunch in 'The Officers Mess' at the hotel a couple of weeks when we went to find where the hotel access actually was. The hotel is in a very good location and ideal for Greenwich Park, the Cutty Sark and the river facilities. Perhaps if we had been staying there or were having an a la carte meal we may have faired better.

Room Tip: We only used the restaurant
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Will S, Deputy General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am very pleased that our team were so accommodating in showing your mother how the hotel is now and I know the team were very interested to hear how it was when your mother used to work here, It is always fascinating to know the history of the property you work in. I am disappointed that you did not find our carvery lunch up to our usual very high standards, our Sunday Jazz Lunches are extremely popular and we normally receive great feedback so I will investigate with the Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager why it may not have been so on your recent visit. I am however pleased that you did enjoy your Sandwiches in The Officers Mess on your prior visit. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Second visit to hotel & not disappointed. Took parents for their first visit to Greenwich. Got a great half board deal.
We were all very impressed with the staff during our visit. We arrived at 12.45 and luckily rooms ready, we were allowed to park car before we went exploring.
Booked table for meal and for 2 extra people. Meal very good apart from a 'tough' treacle tart. Shame we weren't given menus with prices for guests. When paying bill the deserts were deducted from price.
Very good breakfast - lovely sausages. Whilst waiting for family in morning we were offered tea & coffee in reception, lovely touch. Allowed to park all day after checkout. Every member of staff we met were top rate- well done. Be back soon

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to returning soon, loyal custom such as yours is greatly appreciated. I am glad you loved our sausages, they are from a great local supplier and delivered fresh morning! I am sorry that you found the treacle tart to be tough, I have spoken to the Head Chef who will be doing a bit more training with his team this week, unfortunately when all of our desserts are freshly prepared in house the odd error does occur but Chef is working hard to rectify this. Thanks again for your very positive review and I look forward to you returning to Devonport House soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

we have just returned from our third visit to devonport house and they just get better.on this visit we stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast offer every meal was fautless very good choice each evening,and breakfast. every member of staff we had dealings with were very pleasent special mention to olivia and erica on reception,paul in the bar,and everton and restaurant staff and chefs.devonport house is a superb base for exploring greenwich and central london with excellent transport links.cant wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at Devonport House and thank you for your great feedback, I have spoken with the team members you have mentioned and they are thrilled that their efforts have been recognised. I look forward to welcoming you back to Devonport House in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend with de Vere at Devonport House - this a hotel in the heart of all the Greenwich attractions and therefore a must for anyone wishing to visit everything on foot.
Typically de Vere, the rooms are clean with free wifi, piping hot water and hot radiators if you so wish. Staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast is varied and plentiful and there is free coffee, tea and biscuits in the bar. Parking is also free for residents, in a small but enclosed courtyard.
We didn't eat here in the evening but having eaten in de Vere venues before I have no doubt food will be good.
We had a room overlooking the car park, which gave us a very quiet night.
We shall definitely be returning as this hotel is a real find, with easy transport into town, as well as the many attractions in the area.
Well done de Vere!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your positive comments relating to your recent weekend stay with us at Devonport House. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your clean, warm room and the free wifi we offer. I am glad to hear that you took full advantage of our complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits and that you enjoyed our plentiful Breakfast buffet. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your evening meal with us but glad that you had a peaceful nights sleep. I will be pleased to welcome you back again soon and hope that you enjoy your next stay with us as much as this time!

Kind regards

Alan Whiteley

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights 3-5 February 2013. The location was ideal as its right in the heart of Greenwich and all the sightseeing attractions are all just a few minutes walk away. We were impressed with all the staff at the hotel as they were very friendly and helpful, couldn't fault the service at all. The car park was only £5 per day which is very good value for money. Would definately stay there again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your complimentary review of your recent stay with us at Devonport House. I am so pleased that you found our location beneficial to your stay and hope that you enjoyed some of the many exciting attractions Greenwich has to offer! I am glad to hear that our staff were able to cater to all your needs in a cheerful and efficient manner. I am also glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with our reasonable car parking fares and are already planning your return. I look forward to welcoming you both back when you do!

Kind regards