1,667 results
All reviewsmaritime museumcutty sarkgreenwich parkroyal observatorytravelzoo dealnaval collegethames clipperqueens housevisiting greenwichlocal attractionsthere is no air conditioningdocklands light railwayexcellent locationdlr stationcentral londonbuffet breakfasteasy access
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012 this is not the first time I have stayed here, it is in easy reach to the centre of London, the staff are extremely friendly and very helpful nothing is to much trouble,the rooms are very clean and spacious, I would highly recommend this hotel to any one on there own on business or with family for pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review of your stay with us at Devonport House. I am pleased to hear that you are a loyal customer and continue to enjoy our comfortable rooms and the friendly and helpful staff we have. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I wanted a quality but relatively inexpensive short break in London. We chose Devonport House as it was within our weekend budget and was away from the centre of the city.
We arrived via the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) and were checked in quickly by friendly staff. The room was simple, clean and very comfortable and was of a higher standard than we were expecting. Similarly, the staff were very engaging. We didn't use any of the hotels facilities except breakfast which was of good quality.
In terms of sightseeing apart from Greenwich itself, which is both historic and very interesting, we utilised both the DLR and the fast River Bus to access other areas.
This hotel and its location are ideal if you want a quieter base and mean to spend most of your time sightseeing. I would definitely recommend it and would return.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review of Devonport House I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel affordable and our staff engaging. I am glad to hear that you found your bedroom comfortable and our Breakfast to be of a high quality. I am pleased we made a convenient base for your short break and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked here because we were going to the O2. The hotel is in a great location for this with free parking and a few minutes walk from the town centre and the Thames where we caught the O2 Clipper to the venue. We loved Greenwich and had a good mooch around the market and a decent enough meal at the Cafe Rouge.
However, we did not think that the hotel warranted 4 stars for the following reasons.
Our room (209) was small and a bit worn. The bed seemed small, the pillows uncomfy, the duvet obviously cheap man made fibre, a hole in the sheets. Minimal toiletries, one combined bodywash/shampoo, one tiny soap.
There was no water in the room or water glasses, no bathrobes, slippers or safe.,
The breakfast was a disaster. We arrived in the dining room and stood waiting to be seated, looking at a sea of uncleared tables. There was not one table laid up,all were covered in dirty plates etc, we could see no staff at all.
Eventually after a few minutes the maitre 'de came out of the kitchen and said we would be seated in few moments, We were, but at a table that whilst clean, only had a napkin with cutlery. No cups, glasses, side plates, bread knife or condiments. We waited an age for coffee, but had no cups. We eventually got cups and went to the 'hot buffet' which frankly looked like a plague of locusts had paid a visit. There was very little, so we went back to our table and waited for 10 minutes. We asked again for cups.
Eventually the buffet was replenished, it was not worth the wait. The bacon appeared undercooked on one side, and cooked to stiff cardboard the other, the scrambled eggs were in dry clump, the fried eggs dried, the mushrooms dry, the baked beans cheap and hard I made some toast, there was no butter, asked for butter, eventually some unsalted butter was put out, returned to table, no side plates for toast, no plates anywhere... eventually used napkin..The coffee was horrible.
This is NOT 4 star, they would be pushing it to achieve a 3 star rating. Interestingly there is a 'De Vere's' domestic training facility, obviously attached as the hotel is 'De Vere's. I would have thought this would ensure the Devonport is their flagship. Instead I am pretty sure it is a training ground for their staff. In which case I think the star rating and price should reflect the fact that the guests are in fact guinea pigs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bexiow
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your visit to Devonport House, I was very sorry to hear your experience with us was disappointing. At De Vere we pride ourselves on constantly improving our service, so I am grateful you have taken the time to inform me about your unsatisfactory stay with us.

Thank you very much for your valid points with regard to the supplies in your bathroom and the quality of bedding and pillows. We are in the planning stages of refurbishment of all our rooms and will certainly take these points into consideration and ensure this room is one of the first to see attention. Thank you very much for notifying me of the lack of water glasses in your room I have notified our Housekeeping Manager so that they can ensure this point is reiterated to our housekeeping staff and that such an oversight does not reoccur. I can only apologise but bottled water, bathrobes and slippers are only supplied as complimentary with Deluxe rooms.

In response to your comments regarding Breakfast I am truly sorry to hear the experience you endured. This in no way reflects the De Vere Academy. None of our guests are guinea pigs and no academy students were working that morning. When the De Vere Academy students do have work experience with us they work in addition to our regular team, not instead of it so that service levels are not affected through their learning process.

It was a particularly busy morning, however this is no reason that our standards should have fallen below par. I have met with the staff on duty throughout the weekend in question when these matters occurred and reiterated your points to them all as well as the rest of the team who were not on duty. I have expressed the importance of customer care and the standards that De Vere upholds to all the staff also. I will be issuing retraining for all the staff as these problems though small, are large in terms of their consequences.

At De Vere we value our customers and the feedback we receive from them. I can only apologise for the inconvenience these matters may have caused during your stay, and I will take your points on board and will be addressing them to my staff and always work to improve the information or quality of product my guests receive.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently stayed at Davenport House with my mother and sister. We went for a shopping trip and to just spend time together. Upon arrival the hotel reception team were welcoming and friendly and explained all about the hotel facilities. The rooms were spotless, warm and very comfortable. I shared with my sister and the large twin beds were so comfortable we both slept very well. My mothers double room was also great, lovely decor and comfy bed. We hit the shops via the underground which is just a five minute walk from the hotel, and had a busy busy day but very enjoyable. When returning to the Hotel is was like a quiet haven, away from the crowds , peaceful and warm with smiley attentive staff. The bar was candlelit and we enjoyed a wonderful bar snack and glass of wine. Heaven! Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic. The buffet had something for everyone, full english or continental. Again all the staff were brilliant. I would recommend this hotel for a quiet break away from the crowds but easy access to all surrounding ammenities.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Alan W, General Manager at De Vere Devonport House, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you so much for such a complimentary review of our hotel, I am pleased that Devonport House was your haven for the weekend! I am pleased that you found our staff helpful and welcoming and that you found your rooms comfortable and warm; just the ticket for the weather of late! I am pleased to hear you found your way around Greenwich and that our location was of benefit to your trip. It is lovely to hear that you were able to wind down after a long day in our Admirals Bar and that after a peaceful nights’ sleep you enjoyed your Breakfast too. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, perhaps for your Christmas shopping trip!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My stay at DeVere Hotel Devonport House was outstanding. On arrival the staff were so friendly and helpful and this set the scene for my stay with outstanding customer service throughout the stay.
The room was large, clean and the bed very comfortable!
The breakfast is excellent, and uses local produce - a great way to start the day!
I would highly recommend this hotel, which has a wonderful location in historic Greenwich!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your review of Devonport House I am pleased to hear that our staff made you feel welcome from start to finish and were able to cater to your needs throughout your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your room and found the bed so comfortable and that our Breakfast was able to set you up ready for the day ahead. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.