“Should be a hostel”
Review of Saint Simeon

Saint Simeon
Ranked #727 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Dont do it.....i have stayed in budget hotels before so was not expecting a lot, but i have stayed at hostels better than this place! The rooms are the size of closets with no where to put luggage. The carpet is old, the pillows must have never been replaced since the hotel was established, the bed feels like it will fall apart at any moment. The front desk has strange hours from 7AM to 1AM. So for us who had an early morning flight, there was no assistance. There are no phones in the rooms, so we went to front desk to try call car hire for the next morning (train wasnt running that early) to airport and they said we had to walk down the street to pay phone. The Internet only reaches rooms on first floor. The positive of this place is that it is very close to Gloucester tube station and lots of restaurants and a grocery store. Pay the money and stay at holiday inn down the street.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tbkmama

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I really wanted to like the Saint Simeon hotel after reading the great reviews on here, but after one night I wished we had just gone for a hostel instead. Let me start off by saying to location is great, about a 5 minute walk from Gloucester Road station and loads of pubs, restaurants, cafes, and convenience stores. The outside of the hotel and the lobby are really lovely and the staircase on the ground floor is beautiful.
We expected a small room - this IS London - but I also expected to be able to put my suitcase SOMEWHERE without tripping over it. There was maybe a 5 foot space between the tiny double bed and the wall (only on one side - the other side of the bed was against the wall. The carpet was just gross to look at, and a portion of the carpet tile was loose, so I had to push it back into its proper spot. Wardrobe is tiny and we had trouble getting it open, but at least there is one. Bathroom was ok, but no space to put your toiletries. The very worst part of our room was the window at the top of the door to the room. Every time one of our neighbors turned on the hall light - or even a light in THEIR room - the light came into our room, which was particularly bad when we had a very early flight. In addition to the light issue, the walls and doors are extremely thin - it was like one family was standing next to me with all of the noise they were making.
The breakfast was...an experience. I felt like I was being fed in someone's house. There is no lack of food, and they do offer a full English breakfast (with an extremely oily fried egg), plus a lot of fruit and some cereal. We ate breakfast here twice, but had to go somewhere else for the last day of our trip - our stomachs demanded it.
The people here are very pleasant and helpful - I don't want to discount that - but this hotel NEEDS refurbishing. They could at least get rid of those stupid windows above the doors and try soundproofing the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dms9815
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is located in South Kensington only a short 5 min walk from Glouster Rd tube station. Very handy as Big Bus tours also has a stop here as well. The rooms are nothing spectacular with some of the fittings such as taps and shower heads in desparate need of replacement. The complementary breakfast is ample to keep you going until well past lunch. Must say they go out of there way to help you even as far as to allow us into our room at 07:30 am on the day of check in ( very grateful after 23 hour flight from Australia with 3 children under the age of 10 in tow).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank linzandree
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel are so helpful and there is everything that you need on offer, hairdryers, irons, toilettries etc.
We were expecting a great breakfast after reading the reviews but it was tiny and cold (although I am sure we could have had seconds or asked for it warming up, but we just didn't). They offer cakes, fruit, cheese, ham and you can help yourself to what you want.
The hotel is very dated, the rooms are very small, the bathrooms are not great, the pillows are very uncomfortable.
The location is great, close to tube and easy access to Central London. Lots of shops, bars, coffee shops and restaurants within a few minutes walk. The street it is on is lovely.
If you want a no frills stay at a good price with nice friendly staff then this is for you. If you want something a bit more modern or comfortable then you need to pay a bit more.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank joanne t
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that the people are wonderful. Strange, I know, to have wonderful people running the worst hotel. They are unaware of the squalor or of the price/quality ratio in London. I stayed at the Hilton for the same price 2 nights before and now I was sleeping in my coat freezing and not wanting to touch anything. I remember reading Hotwire’s tiny print saying they work with only top brands. When I saw the condition of the dirty bed clothes, old crusty carpet, fitly walls, 3 television channels, broken window looking up at feet walking the street, dust mounds, body hair, bugs, and rotting bathroom with a tiny useless window covered in bird droppings; shielding no wind, I wanted to run away. I spent hours on the phone at midnight with Hotwire trying to get out of the prepayment. Hotwire just repeated they would not refund or exchange, “that’s why you get such a low price”. I saved 10usd off of the walk-in price. Beware of Hotwire when they show “internet available” this can mean “only to the staff” or in the “kitchen dining room” or the 1 room I was in. When I complained to the staff, they sincerely said they would do everything to fix it. When I came back, the room was painted, bedclothes newly bought, new toilet, massive Aristocats sticker holding the glass panes together of removed, carpet somewhat vacuumed, an extra heater and the staff sweet as ever, driving me to my destinations, making me feel like family. In the end I stayed. Staff tried so hard. Breakfast was really bad - angry cooks supplying old prepackaged past-due deserts from tesco. But then strangely enough expensive papaya, fresh pineapple, asian pears, etc. If I had not trusted Hotwire, I would not have to stay for 5 days, would have known that I had to bring my own toiletries and would have been happy. Hotwire is responsible for allowing us to take such a risk for a savings of 10usd and refusing to help. Shame on them!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MDGypsy
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for two nights with my girlfriend. Room was very clean but slightly small which was expected. We only wanted somewhere to sleep as we were out all day and night. Full English breakfast with loads of fresh fruit and toast. Staff were friendly and attentive. Hair dryer, towels and shampoo provided. Overall a great stay and would highly recommend to anyone who wants to have easy access to the tube system when visiting London. Kensington is lovely also. Would definitely stay again! 10/10

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sarkore
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visiting london for the first time, with my wife and my 10 year old daugther, stayed here for 4 nights this March in, most likely, the smallest triple room in London! Really ridiculous the size of both the room and the bathroom. Add the fact that the room doesn't have a proper closet, without a single hanger for clothing and you can get the picture. No space for people to be or the luggage to arrange. Then the breakfast... probably ok for the english but for everybody else... shameful.(specialy Portuguese be aware) The bread was horrible, no croissants or similar, terrible chocolate for the milk, doubtful butter and i could go on and on... We had breakfast outside the hotel the entire stay. The only good stuff: the room was warm, the beds were ok and the staff at the reception was nice. Oh, and the location was very good, in a realy nice area of london, very safe, close to gloucester road and the underground station. We know that the price we paid was really cheap for London, a very expensive city, (in Lisbon, for what we paid, we could stayed in a 4 star...) and we had low expectations but that room was really poor and not worthy of a 2 star hotel, not even a 1 star hotel... This fact didn't ruin our trip because we absolutely loved London and we only used the hotel to sleep but i wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, but definitely recommend London! What a city!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family