New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #398 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This property is quite clean and the staff are very friendly, but unfortunately not an ideal place to stay if you are travelling with a great deal of luggage as the room was quite tiny. Also, the appliance maintenance seems quite inadequate; the television could not be used as the power point seemed either blocked or else damaged some other way. I didn't mind as I don't watch much tv when I travel, but I did think it was rather a dangerous oversight. Also found myself facing a rather rude housekeeping staff member who seemed unhappy when she came to service my room and I asked if she could return later. I gather the kitchen/cleaning staff don't speak much English which caused some confusion on the day I arrived.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Was initially put off by comments on trip advisor but having travelled a lot glad I knew what to expect in London hotels. Small but very clean room and bathroom. Close to many tourist locations and Hyde park/ padding ton station. I think he value is good as you get what you pay for-room was very clean, staff were helpful and think it should be noted -don't expect an hotel in London to be similar to a room in North America. I will stay at Alexandra again-location was great- I stayed for 7 nights and no issues! Thanks for a great stay in London !

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Janet B
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived from New York and were able to head straight to our room which was nice. The location is great and it is easy to get to things but I think that is where the good stuff stops, oh the staff are friendly and try to help but there is only so much you can do with an aging hotel. Not the start to our London life we were wanting. Also breakfast is good with a nice basic selection to get you started.

Firstly we were asked to pay 10 pound for a TV remote; we arrived in our room to find two single beds when we booked a double!! When we asked we were told that they only have 6 double rooms and due to the Olympics they were over booked, sorry THE END!!

The carpet in the rooms and hallway was worn out we wore shoes all the time as the floor was a little crunchy. You will almost certainly lose a limb if you do not get into the lift before the door shuts. I am 6ft 4in and when I sat on the toilet my knees touched the wall. With both our bags on the floor only one person could move around the room at any one time. The internet was ridiculously expensive again no one forced us to buy it but be prepared no free wifi.

I am not sure how this can be a hotel when I have stayed in backpackers that felt more modern than this place. Even though the cleaning staff came through daily the room still felt dirty, the shower was dirty and not really scrubbed clean.

Would not recommend staying here for the price we paid we should have gone a little further out and stayed at a nicer proper hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiwis_can_fly_13

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the annexe across the road on the third floor. To get to the THIRD floor you have to climb FIVE flights of stairs with your luggage dragging behind due to the narrow width. World's tiniest bathroom with no shower gel or shampoo. Squeaky floors and despite ordering a double room, we got three beds which made it very cramped. Breakfast, which is good, is held in a basement which is as quiet as a tomb with no windows. The silent Eastern European staff member was very creepy as she watched our every move. The reception staff were helpful but not friendly. Learn how to smile!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MickandTan
Newquay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here on Saturday we arrived were asked to put our bags in the room which had not been cleaned from there previous night and it was a real mess. I asked where the tv remote was and had to give £10 to use it all night the doors were slamming .i tried to shower in the morning and it was that small I thought it was for child only and there was no hot water,I have stayed in the area several times but I will never stay in that hotel again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ljtaylor1
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I booked a 'superior double' room, which turned out to be in the basement of a terraced house opposite the main hotel.

My room was at the front of the building, and looked out onto a stairwell leading up to the street. The sash window wouldn't shut properly, which meant there was considerable noise from the street, and anyone outside could have pulled it open further. When I pointed this out the receptionist offered to send someone to fix it, but I decided to put up with the problem rather than waiting for a fix, as the bars on the window would have prevented entry from the outside.

Although it was billed as a 'superior double' the room felt cramped as it had a double bed and two single beds in it. The furnishings were dark and old fashioned, giving a very dingy appearance. A TV remote can be obtained from reception for a £10 deposit - but mine didn't work! The bathroom was very tiny and not at all nice - no plug in the sink and a shower curtain rather than a panel.

Breakfast was at the back of the building. I was the first one in, and found four cheap cereals and a basket of warm hard boiled eggs. The orange juice wasn't very cold and tasted watery. There were two warm yoghurts on the table, and a girl brought me a plate with four square, thin, pieces of processed ham, four similar sheets of an unidentifiable meat, and four thin, square slices of nasty, bright orange processed cheese. There was a pile of sliced white bread and an incongruous high quality 4 slice toaster, and a kettle with teabags and coffee.

I expect I shall never stay at this hotel again - I certainly don't want to. The only good aspect was the man on reception, who was kind and patient, and very helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement - it's very dismal. Actually, avoid the hotel altogether.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Family152
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I was staying at the Alexandra Hotel from August 1st to August 13th with my sister and I have to say we looooved everything in this hotel!!!

The location is absolutely great!!!! Just 3 minutes walk to Paddington Underground Station and Paddington Railway Station (where you can take 15-20 minutes Heathrow-Express to Heathrow). 5-10 minutes walk to Hyde Park, 15 minutes walk to Oxford Street. You can go by walk to so many interesting places, such as Kensington Gardens, Notting Hill, Madam Tussaud Museum, Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street, Regents Park and so on.

24-hour front desk which was very convinient, very nice staff on the reception. You can leave your luggage there before check-in and after check-out.

I totally loved our small but so cosy twin room!! (Room number 331). Very comfortable beds, it was a pleasure to sleep on it every night!
Yes, our private bathroom with a toilet was veeery small (almost like on a plane) but it wasn't a problem at all!
We had a hairdryer, a TV in our room (with a huge amount of chanels and excellent coverage of the Olympic Games) and tea/coffee facilities.
We had room service cleaning every day. They changed towels every day, bed linen every second day.

A continental breakfast was served each morning in a very nice dining room. Breakfast included coffee, tea, apple and orange juices, toasts with cheese and ham, butter, eggs, several kinds of jam, many kinds of muesli and flakes with milk.

When I was going to this hotel I was preparing myself for the worst, but the reality appeared to be way more better than I expected and than it was on the pictures here on booking.com and in the reviews here.
I would stay here again for sure!!! and will reccomend this hotel to everyone. I had a GREAT time in London and now I have only happy and nice memories connected to staying in the Alexandra Hotel! :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends