“Avoid at all costs! it's a deathtrap!”
Review of Seymour Hotel

Seymour Hotel
Ranked #969 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel - or was it the Berkeley Court -or Alexandra? It doesn't matter if you book a double in the Seymour as you will probably be moved to a twin further down the street. After a 24 hr flight from Australia was given a fifth floor attic room in the Berkeley with no lift. My 63 yr old arthritic husband who has angina had to lug, manhandle, drag 20 kg suitcases up 5 flights of stairs to a room no bigger than a matchbox.

The window was deliberately made to open only a few inches so there was no escape if there was a fire. Indeed, there was no fire escape but a skylight had been opened to ventilate the place. It had a small vertical ladder to the roof so at least there was a way out for we lucky souls on the top floor. Where is elf n safety when you need it? It's going to take a tragedy before these places are closed down.
We moved next day to a room two floors down. The duvet cover was filthy and you couldn't lie on it without feeling dirty. Bathroom is the smallest in the world and nearly gave my husband a hernia. Breakfast was adequate but I found mould in a yoghurt and the young girl who did the food collected all cold meats etc for recycling the following morning. She also took the rubbish out and was the only one I saw cleaning the rooms. Minimum outlay for maximum profit.

What is annoying is the way we are being treated as mugs. Everything is designed to make the most money with no regard for personal safety or cleanliness. It's a disgrace that these places are allowed to stay open. Surely it's illegal to take your money under the pretence that you're staying at the Seymour. The manager was apologetic but no refund.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Room Tip: Avoid higher floors as there is no lift -but you won't be given a choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrea k
There are newer reviews for Seymour Hotel

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked a double room but they gave us 2 single beds in one room. That wasnt a big problem but it was not what we booked. Then they put us in a different hotel some building further down the road, the berkeley court hotel! So even that we booked the Seymour, we got a totaly different hotel that is not corresponding with all the reviews from the seymour hotel because it is even worse! No running water the first 2 days, after that some....but not enough to shower. Breakfast was in the Seymour but we did not even bother. The shower was way to small. You could sit on the toilet and shower at the same time. The most horrible happend on the last morning, i opened the window and there where living bugs in the room!

So dont get fooled!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrisvp88
Reviewed December 15, 2012

location was excellent , friendly staff , clean rooms ,breakfast ok ,
the only disadvantage was the mattresses as they were uncomfortable and the stairs were too many & narrow..
i wish it had wifi , and a second towel
the coffee maker was a plus and the rooms were very well heated ,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank Varvara G
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here on two separate occasions. Both times we had a great stay. Rooms as spacious and staff are friendly. Great location for accessing everything in London. Bathroom was a bit small but didn't bother us. We got a great last minute deal and would happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank meghanmcgregor
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Chose this hotel knowing it was a very basic hotel and affordable in London. Great location. Only a few minutes walk to Paddington Station. Bad location - right on corner of street where buses turn and ambulances turn to go to St Mary's hospital up the road. Limited selection of better dining in the area. Bathroom was very small - only a half sink, a very small shower and toilet. When sitting on the commode, my husband's knees were banging against the door. No place to put clothes or towel when showering where they did not get wet. No place to put toiletries in bathroom. Continental breakfast was reasonable. Choice of cereals, tea, coffee, juice, bread, yogurt, and some meat and cheese. Beds were ok but nothing special. Was showing signs of age and a need to refinish some things.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cruise281
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Arrived in the morning to be told we can book in after lunch and asked what time we would be back when we arrived back in the evening we were told it was two doors along around the corner. We could not have a shower it was too small (like a areoplane toilet). You could have a shower go to the toilet and brush your teeth at the same time it was so small! the double bed only had a single sheet on the matress. There was cobwebs everywhere The net curtains looked like they filtered half of london traffic and they had holes in them for the bed bugs to escape. We have never slept in such a dirty hotel. We have slept in quite a few in sussex garden hotels which have been clean this one the seymour should be taken off the books. When i spoke to the man in march he showed me a room and assured me that our room for 4 people would be clean and no bugs But he was telling lies he knows what the rooms are like he should sleep in them himself. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED!!!

Room Tip: There is not a good room iam afraid they are all pig stys
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HodgeyPodgey
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Initially the room looked clean, it was in a building 2 up from the actual Seymour Hotel and reception. For our family room we had double bed and a single and although basic, it was what I paid for. The horror started when my young children had gone to sleep and I turned on my torch for reading and saw bugs crawling over the sheets and pillows.
I squashed some in my utter panic, then started collecting in tissues, phoned reception and complained. At midnight I had to wake my children and move not only rooms but buildings. I didn't sleep for the rest of that night, unsuprisingly. The 2nd night I stayed awake and after the children were asleep turned on the torch and low and behold, more bugs. I took live ones to reception and demanded a different room, they let thelive bugs crawl over the desk, then eventually re-caught them and put them in the bin when I asked what he was going to do about them. Live bugs in an open bin...no wonder the whole hotel is infested.
We moved to the 3rd room in 2 nights and checked out 1st thing in the morning.
The hotel manager was rude, unhelpful and unsympathetic.
I reported hotel to the council who promptly opened up a health and safety investigation.
I have stayed in many many hotels all over the world and have never, never had bedbugs before. It was a very horrible and distressing stay.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family