“My Room Was Also Broken Into and Robbed” 1 of 5 stars

Seymour Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Sussex Gardens | Hyde Park, London W2 2RY, England   |
Ranked #947 of 1,058 Hotels in London
Brooklyn, New York
“My Room Was Also Broken Into and Robbed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

On first view it seemed decent, not the fanciest place around but decently clean. I mean you get what you pay for right? I've been in my fair share of hostels, motels and hotels throughout the world but this was hands down the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel.

On our first day there, we went out for about an hour and came back to find our room had been broken into and a lot of our things (electronics, money, cell phones, laptops, etc.) were stolen. The hotel offered no apology or refund and were extremely unhelpful with the police. When the police wanted to check the security cameras none of the staff knew how to work the recorder. When they finally got a specialist in they found that the camera hadn't even been recording.

As the day went on, more people reported things stolen and in the end 5 rooms had been hit.

The worst part? There was no sign of forced entry. I felt so violated knowing that someone would just walk into our room, rifle through our personal things and walk right on out. I'm sorry all of this - so many rooms hit, no broken locks, useless security cameras - just screams suspicious to me. If it wasn't an inside job, the hotel didn't seem at all concerned about the security of the place. When the maintenance guy "changed" the lock, we saw that it was in fact, the same lock (worked with the old key) and had to stand their watching him as he actually changed the lock.

As a young female traveler, security is my biggest concern. When you stay at a hotel, especially one with seemingly working locks and decent reviews, you expect to be safe. After that first afternoon, I did not feel safe at all.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank wanderingslc

Malta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I can't really complain about our stay....even though very small rooms and especially the bathroom. but I WAS ROBBED TOO!!!!. ....even my UNDERPANTS they took and my kids clothes!!! How SICK!!!!! I tried to call back for a whole month but I only got excuses and excuses and excuses. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS HOTEL!!!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Winnie21Malta

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The room was quite small, but fine if you only need somewhere to fall asleep. The location is good though, only a short walk from Paddington Station. Transport links therefore speak for themselves. Although Paddington was less well connected this time due to part closures on the Circle/District/Hammersmith & City lines. (There are also the buses).
I found some of the other reviews here difficult to understand having stayed there. The staff were not unhelpful or unfriendly. It's not the best hotel in the world, but it was fine really. I didn't think it was great value for money. They advertise a range of prices for a room, and vary it depending on demand according to infotel. They wouldn't give us the cheapest rate. Perhaps they would have if it had been booked earlier, I don't know.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tardis9259
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I can deal with the tiny room and smelly towels, but I can't believe our room got robbed the first day we checked in. When the policy requested to see the civilian camera, no one knows how to operate it!!! Hotel staffs were rude and unhelpful. They refused to refund our hotel money that was paid in full when we checked in. They refuse to lend the phone and computer to us to get in contact with our family and friends back home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelFun007
South Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I booked this hotel as it's within walking distance of Hyde Park, where my friend and I had booked tickets to see the Kings Of Leon.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we had been booked in to the sister hotel Alexandria Hotel which is approxmatley 200 yards down the road.
I was able to park my car at the Seymour for £ 10.00 [24 hrs]. The Alexandria Hotel was fantastic, great reception staff, very clean room and bed and a lovley view from the window. The bathroom was small, but it did us just fine. Free tea & coffee and if you required anything extra, there was a small corner shop about 4 mins away from the hotel.
The breakfast was toast, ham & cheese. Cerals & yogart. plenty of tea and coffee.
But for what we paid for the room [£43:00 each] we were well pleased with our room and would book again. Also idea for a shopping trip into London, only 10 minutes from Lancaster Gate Tube Station.

Room Tip: Very clean room and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Shabby, not chic. When I checked in I had to walk (in the rain) half a block to an alternative site where I was staying. Room was OK size - shower-room felt like it had been transplanted from a caravan. Generally grubby but not filthy dirty. My window (basement room) wouldn't lock, so left my TV on loud when I went out for the evening so my room sounded occupied. I passed on the breakfast - the cheese and meat looked older than the carpet.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Tiverton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I very nearly cancelled this booking a re-arranged after reading reviews via trip advisor, am I glad I didn't. For £30.00 for both of us, absolutely perfect. Greeted very politely at reception and directed to our room. The room was sufficient size, with a double and a single bed, tv, coffee/tea making facilites and a hair-dryer. All good. The only thing we noticed a bit odd, was the window was un-locked, so we locked this just to be on the safe side as we were on the ground floor. The room was clean/tidy and the bed linen was fresh, it had that smell. Bathroom small to be the least, but a 1 night stay what do you need, it was clean, had running water and the toilet had just been bleached. Breakfast in the morning, I'm not a big eater, so toast, cereal, plastic ham/cheese was quite sufficient. 2 minutes walk from Paddington station and 5 minute taxi to central Mayfair, this hotel did the job, and for £30.00 did more than I expected. Yes, I would stay here again, for definite!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple