“Tiny room, great location, rude employees...”
Review of Rose Park Hotel

Rose Park Hotel
Ranked #899 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Although the room is tiny with minimum floor space to move around, a tiny bathroom and a much narrower single bed, the hotel is in a great location. Paddington station is nearby, Oxford Street is a 10-minute walk away, plenty of eateries and grocery shops surrounding it.

However, some of the hotel employees are amongst the rudest I've encountered. Was sitting down on the chair in the lobby while waiting for friends when a staff sprayed air freshner right in front of my face. A few minutes later, another stared into my face while he shoved the vacuum cleaner at my feet. Later, the same guy chased my folks outside in the cold and rain to mop the floor. What happened to courtesy and respect for your guests? Fully understand that you need to carry out your tasks, but a polite apology and "excuse me" would have made a difference. Would think twice on coming back again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Mark0brien, Manager at Rose Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you "ryanna11" for posting a review.

I sincerely apologize on behalf of my staff for acting in such a manner.
However I have investigated your claims and video evidence from CCTV shows that one of your party was smoking right at the door steps leaving the main door wide open and all of the cigarette fumes and smell was coming in to the lobby. Air fresher was sprayed in to the lobby and not right against to get rid of the Cigarette smell. Video evidence also shows that you were politely asked to move from the chair for a minute so the area can cleaned.

At Rose Park Hotel we go the extra mile for our guests and your description doesn't add up.

The bedrooms are small but this is not unusual for London. All of the rooms are superbly designed to accommodate the essential modern facilities. We are superbly located between Paddington and Lancaster gate tube stations giving easy access to all parts of the city. We are also a walking distance from other sites of London i.e. Hyde Park, Oxford street, Portobello Market etc..

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for a few days in December. It is small and tidy, but the best feature is the location. You are at Paddington within 5 mins, there are enough pubs to choose from in the neigbourhood, and it is quiet.

We stayed here for 4 nights, and it was just over 300 pounds.

The price and the location makes this a perfect hotel for a short break. I will stay here again in a heartbeat

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElizeM
Mark0brien, Manager at Rose Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you "ElizeM" for taking time to post your comments.

I am glad that you you had a good stay at our hotel ideally situated in the heart of London in very quiet Talbot Square, a delightful residential square overlooking a central garden, and just a short walk from Paddington Train and Underground Station

I am sorry that you found a bedroom on a smaller size but it is not unusual at all in London when space is at premium.

We look forward to see you again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a night last Monday whilst on a quick trip for a friends birthday. This hotel is ideally located for paddington train station and your only 20 mins for the west end. I had a great night sleep and will defiantly use this again

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel for one night. When checking inaround 5pm we were told that there weren't any twin rooms left. I think we were givin the smallest double room in the hotel. Our room was also located in the basement, so no window. It's a good think the room en bath room were clean.
Breakfast was fine, but when my friend asked for a knife, the staff was vere unpolite.
We were really happy we only booked this hotel for one night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent.the newly refurbished rooms were fine and beds and pillows were very very comfortable, but because we were on the fifth floor we got not a wink of sleep.the water pump that is needed to get the water to the top floor drones all night long in the attic above.impossible to ignore.the breakfast was really nice however and I would stay here again if guaranteed not til be on the top floor.all the staff we encountered were extremely nice and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012
Mark0brien, General Manager at Rose Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you ‘renni77’ for reviewing our hotel.
I am glad you appreciated the newly renovated rooms and the friendly staff members. We always try to give 100% to our guests.
As per the noise on the 5th floor we are currently investigating the source and hope to rectify it as soon as possible.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good: Fairly inexpensive (I paid 84 pounds per night for a single room) for the area. The bathroom was wonderful - modern, nice tiles, everything spotless, recently refurbished. Good location - 8 minutes walk to Paddington Station

Bad: Extremely small room. I had a narrow single bed, and the room was exactly long enough to accomodate the bed. Furthermore the room was exactly as wide as it was long, so in total 4 square meters.

I did not have breakfast.

Room Tip: I stayed in Lower Ground Floor, and it was surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hakon D

Thank you "verdesvant" for posting a review.

I am sorry that you found our bedrooms on a smaller side.
The bedrooms are small but this is not unusual for London. I agree with your comment that our rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable.
We are superbly located between Paddington and Lancaster gate tube stations giving easy access to all parts of the city. We are also a walking distance from other sites of London i.e Hyde Park, Oxford street, Portobello Market etc.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My first impressions of the hotel were very good. The hotel is in a great location and the place did appear very clean but after just getting off to sleep I was rudely awakened by a mouse nibbling on the carpet at the end of my bed! I tried to scare it away but it was so brave that even with the light on the mouse came out and appeared in front of my eyes so I know I was not making things up! I called reception and the receptionist sounded so shocked that I started to doubt my own thoughts. I got moved to a new room in the basement which turned out to be a disaster as well. It smelt like a sewer was outside the window and a noisy fan kept going off every 10-15 mins and then there was a toilet outside the room so when people came for breakfast it was extremely noisy from early on. When telling the receptionist of my horrible night I was told that mice where just a thing that happens once or twice a year in London and that there was nothing he could do about it. they gave me a 1/5 off my bill which given the poor evening I had was certainly not enough but I was so tired and in a rush to get out that I couldn't even argue. DON'T GO is my recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan L
Mark0brien, General Manager at Rose Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you ‘SusuanL’ for posting your review of our hotel.
I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed in your room by a mouse. I cannot comment on this other than to say we have a pest control contract with a reputable company and the hotel is cleaned daily by the Housekeeping staff to a very high standard.
Your room was checked by the receptionist and no evidence of rodent activity could be found.
As your ‘encounter’ happened at night and the hotel was nearly full at the time, the only available room was one in the basement. The basement rooms are all recently renovated and all have windows and are well ventilated. My Housekeeper and I checked the room you were allocated and could not detect a smell of sewerage nor has any offending smell been reported since.
Upon complaining to reception you were given money off your bill as a good will gesture even though we could neither prove nor disprove your claim.