“Good for a one night stay!”

Melbourne House Hotel
Ranked #540 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently stated here, the staff were lovely and helpful. We had a booked a triple room even though there was only two of us and it was very spacious, tea and coffee was provided. The hotel is very close to Victoria coach station which was handy but far from all other attractions. The breakfast was continental, it would be nicer if a English breakfast or options would be available. Was nice for a one night stay like we stayed for.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My dear tripadvisor reviewers are largely correct, how could they not be. But, we were given a room on the top floor - its 80 stairs to the top floor and no lift!!!! Now we are young and fit so it wasn't a major issue but if you have any walking disability or strength issue then make sure you get a room on the lower levels. Its also a set of stairs to the breakfast room - so from the breakfast room back to the top level is a great cardio workout - whether you like it or not !!

Rooms are small but functional and clean. Mind you, I've never been a fan of matteresses with a plastic sheet. Matteresses was old and not entirely comfortable. Anyway, great location and good price so value seems good. Based on other reviews had expected more and don't think I sighted the owner but staff were nice (and fit)

Room Tip: Get a room with a low number - the higher the number the higher you go
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wyego
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am on a trip around the world. I booked every hotel in every city based upon Trip Advisor. Melbourne House Hotel is the second stop of my journey. The location is as good as it gets. It is less than a 30 minute walk to Westminster Abby, the Houses of Parliament , Thames River tours, The Museum of Natural History and the Science Museum, St James and Hyde Park to name a few. The owner of the hotel is on site. He and his staff are extraordinarily helpful. Clearly John takes great care and pride in his jewel of a hotel. I came to London to see the major attractions so the small room, by North American standards, was not a problem. The breakfast buffet was excellent with meats, cheeses, pastries, juices, cereals, yogurts, and fruits. One day I rode my folding bike 43 km exploring downtown London, the next day I toured the parks and museums. This hotel has a perfect location to explore downtown London. Last stop – Hotel Smari in Reykjavik, next stop Au Royal Mad Hotel in Paris, France.

Room Tip: Just beware the 2 single rooms are the size of a college dorm room with a single bed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank TelegraphHarbour
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed in a room for 3, for 2 nights. The room was nice, very clean (and cozy :-) The manager gave us a quiet room (as requested when booked) and let us check-in a few hours earlier than announced (which was really appreciated after our long flight into London!). Consistent continental breakfast included.

The sector is great if you're in town a few days and want a nice quiet place, walking distance from the Westminster attractions or the Victoria Coach station (12 minutes). The nearest tube station is a 7 minute walk.

Quality-price: excellent! Would definitely go back there if I'm in London in the high season.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Johanne B
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay (4 nights) at this hotel. The location of the hotel is very good in terms of its proximity to London's main tourist attractions and public transport links (buses and the Underground).

I found all the staff at the hotel polite, helpful and friendly. The hotel is also very clean and well-maintained throughout. The continental breakfast was better than I expected: I enjoyed the croissants, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, orange juice and coffee (other things were also available such as a selection of cold meat slices and pastries).

The shower cubicle in my room was very spacious and I was impressed with the fact that there was a portable fan in the room which made sleeping more comfortable at night given the warm weather. There were also plenty of coat-hangers in the large wardrobe!

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Twin-bed room number 9 was quiet at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Edward P
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was my second time staying here and I will definitely return. This time I was with a friend who'd never been to London. We had a twin bed room on the 3rd floor for 4 nights. Yep, it's quite a hike with your luggage, but the good news is that you only have to do that once! A good breakfast buffet is included in the price and the hotel is within easy walking distance of all sorts of things to do. We walked to the Tate, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St James's park, Buckingham Palace and shopping centers near Victoria Station. The closest tube station is Pimlico, down the street--from which we accessed Kew Gardens. The room was clean and the en suite bathroom modern and sparkling. Tea/coffee fixings are in the room as is free WiFi.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kathryn031
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Staying in a twin room. It is up stairs but they carried our bags up for us. Breakfast downstairs in the morning included in price. Easy walk to Pimlico station and bus also at end of street.
There is also a lovely little pub at the end of the street as you get off the train. Great value for money as we only needed a place to lay our weary head after long days of sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family