“Fabulous hotel in a central location”

Howard Winchester Hotel
Ranked #763 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is brilliant. I have stayed in 3 times now, and I'm also staying in it for 4 nights next week for Paralympics, some of the rooms maybe small but they are very clean & tidy & the sheets & towels are changed every day. The owners Samina and Tom are fantastic, I feel that we are like old friends now as ive stayed so many times, they are very friendly, helpful & nothing is to much trouble. Very safe place to stay as its locked at night & you have to ring the doorbell to get in, and I have stayed on my own for 3 nights and then 2 nights. The location is fab, about 2 mins walk to kings cross tube. Would highly recommend this lovely hotel to stay in

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in a fairly spacious single room (by central London standards). The hotel is in a good location, very close to Kings Cross / St Pancras stations but in a nice leafy square. I had a really good full English breakfast too - cooked to order.

Room Tip: There's no lift but rooms higher up are likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here during the Olympics. The hotel is in a great location and you can see Kings Cross Station from the front door so it is a great base to use to get around London. We stayed in a twin room on the first floor of the hotel. It was completely spotless and was decorated simply yet modern. It had plenty of storage space and a TV. A pleasant surprise was that we had our window open all night both nights we were there and there was no noise at all! The breakfast is also nice. My only gripe would be the hours breakfast is served- 7-9am. When you are on a weekend break this can feel a bit early, any chance they could extend it until 10am? Otherwise I was really impressed with this hotel and will be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Abigail J
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My sons and I stayed here for a few nights on the London leg of our European adventure. Argyle Square is lovely and clean; not nearly as nasty as some parts near King's Cross. Extremely convenient to both King's Cross and St. Pancras to take the Eurostar to Paris. The room, although a bit crowded for 3 people was extremely clean. The young woman at the front desk was delightful and full of good information. In terms of value, this hotel is a very good value due to its location, cleanliness and safety.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank wahoowa1213
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had booked this hotel for a fortnight for academic reasons in the nearby UCL area. I finally rebooked for a week and I must say that the reply from the hotel was prompt and positive. On arrival there, I saw that the hotel didn't have a lift (which might be my fault because I never read the hotel's details really carefully). What was really unpleasant thought was the size of the room (a tiny tiny single room, about the width of a corridor with less than basic furniture). To make matters worse, I realised the first morning that the smells from the breakfast room came straight through the room.Truth be told, for the price I had paid, I didn't expect the English breakfast that was offered. Having booked for a week, I asked for another room but it was difficult to change at short notice. So I settled for a 4-night stay (a paid for 6 nights) and left. I have to say that the girl at the reception during the day is very nice and sociable, yet the evening staff barely welcome you when you enter. Needless to say, that there will probably not be a next time at this hotel unless It's one night stay with a view to use the nearby train stations.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sugaraki
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here Saturday 04/02/2012 - was in London for a friend's 30th birthday party. Room is very close to Kings Cross station on a quieter street. Area felt safe and nicer than other grottier parts of the Kings Cross area! Checked in the afternoon and customer service was fine. Room was clean with a comfy double bed - not bad as I had a booked a single room. Room was cramped though with old fashioned furniture. Shower and bathroom much better though - looked brand new and recently fitted - nice hot shower. Slept very well - partly because I had to walk from Shoreditch to the hotel through thick snow at 12.30am due to lack of taxis! Decent full english breakfast too. Would stay again if travelling on own or with friends, but perhaps would stay elsewhere if was with staying with my partner.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel for one night only (thankfully, as it happened!), as we had an early morning departure on the Eurostar from London St Pancras.

The hotel was literally a 5-minute walk away, on what looked a fairly quiet square. So far, so good....

We were allocated a room which was up three flights of stairs (no lift) which were winding and narrow, only to find that the toilet seat in the cupboard sized room which purported to be a bathroom was broken.

So, back down the stairs to ask for another room. We were given a room in the basement (literally) next to the kitchen, so, given that by now it was getting on into the evening, we accepted (yet more stairs..) and found a room with double bed and a single, which can best be described as cavern-like.

The lighting was awful, and the only natural light came from a small window in the bathroom (again, a tiny room hardly worth the name). However, we decided to make the best of things. To be fair, the bedding and towels were clean, and we were only there for a short nights' sleep. There was a broken lamp on the bedside, and if the person nearest the wall needed to get out of bed they had to climb over the other person...

In the morning, being literally next to the kitchen, we spoke with the cook, who although not supposed to begin serving breakfast until 7.00 a.m., very kindly let us have cereal, and made us hot toast and tea and coffee, so full marks to her for that.

Overall, if you are looking for low -cost (in London terms anyway) accommodation, with excellent location for Kings Cross and St Pancras stations, and you don't mind your rooms small and gloomy, then you may find this hotel ok. However, I would definitely not recommend it if you want to stay more than a night. For £80 per night we have stayed in much better quality accommodation.

Room Tip: Good luck! Check before accepting
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple