“Nice Hotel but let down by Staff”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #335 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Hotel is nicely designed close to Excel and only 5 mins from docklands, rooms are spacious and relaxing.

Staff are probably the only thing that lets this hotel down and need to be a bit more friendly,

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gareth_999
DGMLondonDocklands, Assistant Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands recently and for taking time out of your busy schedule to comment on it.

Honest feedback is what helps us to improve in the areas of weakness and as such your comments are very welcome. On the other hand I would have liked to know a little more about your experience so I can get to the root of it.

I am otherwise very glad that you found the room comfortable and the location accessible for your needs.

Should you want to give a more detailed feedback please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Reception of Crowne Plaza London Docklands. I hope also that you give us another opportunity to make it right for you.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

on arrival the reeting was fine, we was seen to straight away and the staff were friendly. Room was very nice considering we had just a standard room, bathroom very modern and clean , good selection in mini fridge, complimentary tea/coffee. Was useful to find a iron and iroing board in wardrobe. We used the swimming pool which i felt was very clean, calming and relaxing , the pool was small but it is only the hotel, i was a little disapointed to find the steam room out of use. The hotel was a little noisy with the planes but what can u expect staying right next to a airpot. The bar was very smart, expensive but worth it. Breakfast was included with our deal and was nice, all hot and a good selection. Great location if your planning to visit the 02, minutes away walking to DLR then 1 stop to jubille line.

Overall very impressed with the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write about your most recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands Hotel.

I am extremelly glad that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. You seemed to have used most of our facilities and made the most of your stay. My apologies about the Steam Room being out of order on that particular day, it is now back on.

I would say that your reflextion about the noise coming from the planes is fair even though our windows are double glazed.

I would like to thank you once more for taking the time to write in and give us your honest feedback. i look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

King regards,

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Stayed for two nights. Had a nightmare getting there only to be greeted, well I say greeted. more like made to feel unwelcome by the receptionist. Paid a lot of money for a nice relaxing weekend but we received 'attitude' from this guy for some reason. Apart from this evrery other member of staff was perfect. Shame about the 'welcome'. Do not know how to complain to the hotel about staff,maybe they read these. Like I say, everything else was great, although not much to do in immediate area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands and for taking the time to write your comments about your stay.

I would also like to apologise for making you feel unwelcome on your arrival. I can assure you that our intention is to give a five star service to each guest that approaches us. I am disappointed that in your case this did not happen. I will ensure that your comments are forwarded to all relevant staff members and training provided.

I am on the other hand happy that you felt the rest of the staff members made up for the initial lack of warmth. I hope that you see it in you to return so we can truly look after you from beggining to end.

I would like to thank you one more time for the time you have taken to write your feedback, as guests such as you help us improve our service through your constructive comments.

I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Mum and Dad with a 10 and an 8 year old stayed 1 night and enjoyed it very much. We will use this hotel again as our base for mini trips to London. Our room was ready for us when we arrived and we made good use of the restaurant for both lunch and a FANTASTIC breakfast. We used the swimming pool and steam room and appreciated the pool having specific times for kids as I imagine most of the guests during the week are business types. All the staff were extremely friendly and the hotel had a lovely, relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to first and foremost thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review about your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Docklands.

I am extremelly happy that you and your family enjoyed our facilities as our aim is to exceed guest expectations and ensure you leave with the best impression. I will convey your positive comments about the staff attitude to all departments as it is always nice to hear when we have done well.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

So if the hotel wasn't any good, I wouldn't go back week after week. I travel with work but I choose which hotel I stay at, and I choose here every time.

Is everything always perfect? No, because that's just life. Do the team make an effort to fix anything causing problems? The vast majority do. Can they control the airplanes or the occasional noisy 'yoof' outside - no.

Food is good (quantity, quality), room service is fast, pool is excellent size compared to most hotels, gym is good albeit busy at peak times. Went through a phase before Xmas of lots of noisy kids shouting outside but haven't experienced any such issues so far in 2011. Beds recently improved and are noticeably more confortable, though some duvets could definitely do with being a little thicker in my personal opinion. Even the lowest calibre of rooms is in very good nick, good size, ample wardrobe space.

Room for improvement? Free wifi would be good for those who stay on business a lot (other CPs elsewhere do as std for Platinum customers), and the food service in the bar could do with a kick up the rear from time to time (customer care, speed)

Would have no hesitation in recommending (and do regularly), especially for business users in Canary Wharf, who have the convenience of a free shuttle bus on mornings and evenings..

PS I like the airplanes - the first one is always at 10 to 7 in the morning, so if my alarm fails, I have a backup!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, assistant front office manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

It is so very nice to have some feedback from a regular guest and such a detailed one as well.

I can see that you have used all the facilities in more than one occasion and are quite an expert with plane time tables as well. I am glad that they can be of service to you or back up as you mention.

I also am happy that we manage to turn things around for you most of the time should anything be amiss. I have also noted your comments about wifi access and the service in the bar. These comments will be shared with the related departments for improvement.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to share your views as it helps us identify the areas for improvement and to congratulate ourselves when deserved.

Reviewed February 23, 2011

The hotel was ok
However needs docklands light railway to get into London
Maybe 30-40 mins

Staff ok

Parking 16 pounds per night - steep for zone 3

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to give us your feedback.

I appreciate your honest feedback and it seems that although everything went well during your stay this location was not what you had expected.

It is a tranquil location with beautiful scenery and views across to the O2 and Canary Wharf and it does take about 35 minutes to central London on the Jubilee Line. Many of our guests prefer it because they can relax after an stressful day out.

On the other hand I am glad that took the opportunity to use the Leisure facilities.

I would like to thank you one more time for taking the time to write this feedbak as we benefit and learn from it.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 21, 2011

After reading reviews was worried about my stay at hotel with my daughter. Stayed at crowne plaza to go to excel baby show as my daughter is expecting her first child. We could not fault the service or the room or the food. We were greeted well on arrival, had a really lovely standard twin overlooking water. Reception very helpful when asked to recommend places to eat. Staff at breakfast very welcoming and helpful and the food was exceptional. Able to leave bag and coats with hotel whilst out and collected on way back to train. People are always quick to be picky and complain, so i thought i would put the record straight. Will def. be going back. x

• Stayed: February 2011
DGMLondonDocklands, Assistant Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2011

Dear Reviwer,

I would liket to thank you for your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands and for taking the time to write your feedback.

As you mentioned on your review positive feedback is not always recorded as the negative ones take precedence. Because of this when positice comments are left it is extremelly appreciated.

I am very pleased that you had such a nice experience and that you found our staff helpful. I have passed your comments on to our Head Chef and the Restaurant manager in regards to your positive breakfast experience.

I hope you will choose to come back on your next visit to London.