“great location, relaxing lovely hotel with lovely views...spa was an added bonus”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #333 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for my anniversary and had such a lovely weekend.
I spent most my time swimming in the spa and in the steam room, which was so clean and freshly smelling..
There was a lovely caribbean restaurant literally an arm throw away from the hotel on the river....Presentation of food and efforts were amazing..and the food was devine.
The room i booked was very spacious, and modern. the beds were absolutely comfy.
If you want a nice hotel, relaxing, where you want to stay primarily in the hotel or not far from it...this is the perfect choice.
Staff were very friendly too....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with other Tripadvisor readers. I was very pleased to read that the the service and facilities met and exceeded your expectations.

We here at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands pride ourselves with the service we provide and excellent facilities we have to offer for our guests.

I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands again in the near future.

Kind regards & thank you,

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

For Intercontinental to classify this property as a Crowne Plaza does seem like a bit of a bad joke. It sort of gets it right to start with a glitzy lobby, but check in staff were painfully slow even when I had no special requests.

As a Platinum Ambassador member with the hotel's loyalty scheme I had expected a degree of recognition. This certainly wasn't in the room which had what must have been the world's smallest double bed in it.

I was given a paper voucher that had the hotel bar logo on it and my Platinum status, but there was no explanation offered as to what this entitled me to.

Squeezy containers of shower gel/shampoo and handwash affixed to the wall in the bathroom - environmental concerns aside, certainly more Travelodge than Crowne Plaza in my book.

The DLR service is tediously slow - location OK for the Excel centre and 5 mins by cab (£10) from City Airport but certainly wouldn't suggest staying out here if you're wanting to see the sights of London.

Perhaps it's because some Crowne Plaza's manage to do so much better that the under achievers end up standing out like a sore thumb. There's better to be found in London.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swisstony123
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience whilst staying with us here at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands.

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I can understand that there were disappoitments and that your experience has left you with less than favourable opinion of the hotel.

Unfortunately Tripadvisor does not provide me with your reservation details or name and therefore I am unable to check your feedback more in detail or contact you directly. I recognise your Elite status as Priority Club Ambassador and should you wish to speak myself directly, I am contactable via the hotel's main number.

Once again my most sincere apologies for disappoitments your experienced and I hope that you give us another chance in the future. I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands in the near future.

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

Perfect for business travellers doing business in Canary Wharf; free shuttle service to Canary Wharf / Canada Square. Friendly, modern and comfortable hotel. Good and friendly staff.
Spacious room, comfortable bed, all modern equipment etc.
Minor issue: the room could have been slightly more quiet, and the pillows were horrible (foamed plastic I suppose) - then again, to be fair, I did not ask if they had other/softer pillows available upon request.
The restaurant was good and prices were reasonable. Fitness area was well equipped and spacious, staff friendly, too.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands. It was my pleasure to read that your expectations were met and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards the pillows, we do indeed have few alternatives available in a limited stock on request basis.

Kind regards & thank you,

MK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Generally a very nice Hotel, clean, quiet and looks contemporary.
A few niggles though.
If these large chain Hotels are going to disappoint its generally in the restaurant area and this was no exception: The food was no more than ok; small portion sizes and in my opinion shades of a slightly pretentious chef; some of the combinations just didnt work.
Desserts were a major disappointment, very poor. Should I be able to slice my trifle with a knife and fork? It was more like a cake.
Drinks were expensive, am I the only one that thinks £7 for a single rum & coke is overpriced?
And can the staff, as nice as they are, please please please stop the annoying habit of dealing with one person then starting to deal with someone else and leave the first person hanging!!! Wait until you have finished with me THEN deal with the next one!!!
But niggles only, this is a good hotel with good facilities, nice rooms and a good location.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands. I noticed that you enjoyed your stay and experience in general, however, had few niggles, as you called them, on the way.

I was really sorry to read that on this occassion we did not meet your expectation on the food in terms of size and presentation. Docklands Bar & Grill is an multi award winning restaurant in food excellency and I sincerely hope that we can offer combinations that you suit your pallet better during your next visit as our menu changes at least four times per year.

With regards the drink prices I have to clarify that the rate mentioned is a double measure. Single measures are available on request.

I do agree with you regards your feedback on the service and finishing with previous guest first before starting to assist another one. On this occassion I can only apologise and will most definately share your valid feedback with the team as training purpose.

Thank you once again taking your time to review your stay and I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands when visiting the area in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

This hotel is great for the o2 and to watch swans. Unfortunately there is not much around the area, we only found 2 restaurants and 2 local shops but it is a few minute walk to the tube stop.
The hotel has two lifts although one was out of order and no key card is required to use the lift .
As someone mentioned before the towels were scruffy and fraying - whoever is in charge of this area needs to make sure staff check the towels first as it did not give a good first impression, mini bar was empty and the beds are extremely soft - but very nice!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands. I was pleased to read that you were overall happy with your stay, however, mentioned the lift, minibar and the towels as areas of improvement. I appreciate your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to respond some of the points you raised.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience the lift maintenance work caused you during your stay. Some major work took place hence the lift was out of service for few days and I am happy to inform that this work has now been completed.

Hotel is also changing the content of the mini bars and will have all mini bars stocked by end of the month. In addition new stock of towels have been put in place. Again my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for taking your time to post you review on Tripadvisor and I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands in the near future.

London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

...for despite calling reception at 5pm and speaking to them directly at 6pm as i went out, i returned to my room after a work evening only to discover that i still didnt have any curtains.

Thanks to a helpful night reception chap, we got some clean sheets from housekeeping and did some sheet origami to make a temporary curtain to prevent the 15 flats overlooking my room seeing in.

To be fair, i can be pragmatic about the first person doing nothing. I can make allowances to the second person for writing down my panicked request but still doing nothing, I can be grateful to the night reception for at least being as flabergasted as i was..... but i cannot understand them doing sweet F.A. about it for the second night.

However, at least the guy when i checked out asked if i had had a good stay....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

I appreciate your honest review and taking the time to share your feedback. Firstly I would like to express my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused with the missing curtain set in the room you were assigned on arrival.

The curtain set was sent sent to a deep clean, however, was not returned on time and due to an communications error on our behalf, the room was released for sale before work was completed. This is most embarrassing and I can understand your disappoitment as the room was not prepared to our usual high standards.

I was also very disappointed to read that we did not manage to rectify the issue after your requests, not even for the second night. There are no excuses for this and I sincerely apologise for the lack of attention to detail for us not following up this properly. I can assure you that I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure similar incidents are not repeated in the future.

I hope that you give us another chance so we can prove that this was only a one of a kind error on our behalf. I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands.

Salcombe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Extremely good, Puts to bed all theories on chain hotel leads to bland service levels. I am a hotelier who judges service above all other things and this hotel shines out to others that claim to be a cut above the rest. It was always had good rooms and a great position, but the manager has now taken such a keen interest to ensure that it really hits high on all fronts. thre suites with views of the 02 dome are very comfortable, but all offer a good nights sleep. Nice pool and gym for a refreshing start to the day. If you are here on a leisure break, they even let you stay on for a very late check out on Sunday, particularly handy if you've had a late nighter.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Dear Mr. Makepeace,

Thank you very much for your review and sharing it with other Tripadvisor readers.

I was very pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and the facilities and service met & exceeded your expectations. It is our pleasure always to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay and leave with positive experience.

Mr. Makepeace, I look forward welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza London - Docklands in the near future.