If the Docklands Crowne Plaza has a major downside, it would only be its isolated location. On the other hand, if you need to be close to the Excel Centre, the location could hardly be better.
The Crowne Plaza is very good but not great. Starting with the basics: The room rate was 180 GBP, or about 270 USD or 206 Euro – a little pricey for the offerings but probably good by London standards. Front desk service was prompt and friendly but not memorable. My room was very clean and odor-free, bathroom was adequately appointed, climate-control system worked well. The room was a bit narrow but adequate for one person. The carpet was a little worn. The two single beds had very soft (i.e. not firm) mattresses that I loved but that some might find intolerable or even painful. Maid service was adequate; I did not leave a tip the first day since I as yet had no local currency and they noted the transgression by not replacing towels and shower floormat. The rooms were soundproof and I experienced no hallway noise at night. The view from my room was dull. Interestingly, the door handles and key slots to the guest rooms were at wheelchair level.
Room photos are a little misleading because the furniture appears to be made of cheap particle board, but this is not the case. The hotel décor was probably not the best judgment call by whomever designed it – orange, red, and maroon color combination with minimalist furniture design. While it was clearly intended to be a retro Mod motif, it simply had the impact of looking cheap or like it had been last decorated in 1974. Be assured that neither is true.
Oddities: I did not see a bellman during my four days at the hotel. A hair dryer was provided but was tethered to the inside of the closet. There was only a low-voltage, two-prong outlet in the bathroom. There was no safe in the rooms. Closet and drawer space was minimal. Internet access was a ridiculous 15 GBP per day.
A breakfast buffet in the hotel’s restaurant, the Docklands Grill, was included with the room price and was adequate but not remarkable (except for the offering of baked beans). Dinner in Docklands Grill was really quite good and reasonably priced. A good-sized swimming pool, jacuzzi, and very well equipped exercise facility are available.
The surrounding area – called the Docklands – is off the beaten path. The locals disparaged the area as being out of the action. While true, it is clean, quiet, and safe. It is clearly an old working-class area in the process of being revitalized in modern style contrasted with existing architecture from days-gone-by. There are a number of small shops and little grocery stores within a block or two of the Crowne Plaza, so I did not have to look far to re-supply myself. Happily, it is quite easy and inexpensive (roundtrip is 3,20 GBP) to ride into central London on the “DLR,” an above-ground train with a station directly behind the Crowne Plaza. It’s about a 15-minute ride to the Tower of London.
The Crowne Plaza will probably not knock your socks off, but is very suitable for a stay near the Excel Centre. If your intent is to explore London, you probably will want to stay somewhere closer to the action.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Crowne Plaza London Docklands , a unique, contemporary hotel overlooking Royal Victoria Dock.We are walking distance from ExCeL Exhibition Centre (West) and just minutes from the financial district of Canary Wharf & the City of London. London City Airport is a 5 minute ride away & the O2 in Greenwich & Tower of London can also be easily reached. The hotel is located next to Docklands Light Railway(DLR) station Royal Victoria, which connects after one stop with the Jubilee Line, at Canning Town, into Central London or Stratford.The hotel boasts its own Meeting Success Centre, with 9 meetingrooms accommodating up to 275 delegates including a dedicated Executive Boardroom.We offer today's business and leisure travellers dependability, friendly service and the latest in designer-led facilities at excellent value rates. We can't guarantee the weather in England, however we can guarantee the quality of our 'Make It Happen' service and our world-renowned breakfast buffet.The hotel houses a busy, contemporary bar and lounge and a restaurant accessable from the avenue or from the hotel Reception. The Quad Club offers guests a purpose-built health and fitness facility, with an indoor pool,jacuzzi, sauna, steamroom and the latest gym equipment Please note: opening times of the leisure club may vary seasonally. The hotel is located in the East of London - host to the 2012 Olympics. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crowne Plaza London - Docklands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London - Docklands Hotel London
- Crowne Plaza London - Docklands England