“Fine Stay in the Darklands”

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #341 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 28, 2009

If the Docklands Crowne Plaza has a major downside, it would only be its isolated location. On the other hand, if you need to be close to the Excel Centre, the location could hardly be better.

The Crowne Plaza is very good but not great. Starting with the basics: The room rate was 180 GBP, or about 270 USD or 206 Euro – a little pricey for the offerings but probably good by London standards. Front desk service was prompt and friendly but not memorable. My room was very clean and odor-free, bathroom was adequately appointed, climate-control system worked well. The room was a bit narrow but adequate for one person. The carpet was a little worn. The two single beds had very soft (i.e. not firm) mattresses that I loved but that some might find intolerable or even painful. Maid service was adequate; I did not leave a tip the first day since I as yet had no local currency and they noted the transgression by not replacing towels and shower floormat. The rooms were soundproof and I experienced no hallway noise at night. The view from my room was dull. Interestingly, the door handles and key slots to the guest rooms were at wheelchair level.

Room photos are a little misleading because the furniture appears to be made of cheap particle board, but this is not the case. The hotel décor was probably not the best judgment call by whomever designed it – orange, red, and maroon color combination with minimalist furniture design. While it was clearly intended to be a retro Mod motif, it simply had the impact of looking cheap or like it had been last decorated in 1974. Be assured that neither is true.

Oddities: I did not see a bellman during my four days at the hotel. A hair dryer was provided but was tethered to the inside of the closet. There was only a low-voltage, two-prong outlet in the bathroom. There was no safe in the rooms. Closet and drawer space was minimal. Internet access was a ridiculous 15 GBP per day.

A breakfast buffet in the hotel’s restaurant, the Docklands Grill, was included with the room price and was adequate but not remarkable (except for the offering of baked beans). Dinner in Docklands Grill was really quite good and reasonably priced. A good-sized swimming pool, jacuzzi, and very well equipped exercise facility are available.

The surrounding area – called the Docklands – is off the beaten path. The locals disparaged the area as being out of the action. While true, it is clean, quiet, and safe. It is clearly an old working-class area in the process of being revitalized in modern style contrasted with existing architecture from days-gone-by. There are a number of small shops and little grocery stores within a block or two of the Crowne Plaza, so I did not have to look far to re-supply myself. Happily, it is quite easy and inexpensive (roundtrip is 3,20 GBP) to ride into central London on the “DLR,” an above-ground train with a station directly behind the Crowne Plaza. It’s about a 15-minute ride to the Tower of London.

The Crowne Plaza will probably not knock your socks off, but is very suitable for a stay near the Excel Centre. If your intent is to explore London, you probably will want to stay somewhere closer to the action.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank HonkHonk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed May 20, 2009

The hotel was beautiful, the staff took care of some traveling issues I was having or my vacation would have been ruined. The restaurant was nice and private and the bar had several sports events going on. They are more than happy to get you to where you would like to go. The best experience in a hotel I have ever had!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2009

The hotel itself is in a lovely quiet area by the river, seemed very peaceful and felt very safe. The hotel is only a couple minutes walk from the station and easy to find. Very close to the 02 which was just want we wanted.

The hotel is fantastic, modern, very clean, pretty large rooms for London and comfy beds. The hotel swimming pool etc was also brilliant, clean and plenty big enough for what you need. Breakfast was also great, plenty of food, catered for everyone.

However on the down side the staff let this hotel down badly. I have stayed in many hotels (from 1 star up to 5) and have never come across staff so unhelpful and rude. I don’t ever complain but unfortunately we felt we really needed to at this hotel. A few examples - the member of staff at the swimming pool would not give me a towel, told me to use the one from my room, I explained (very kindly) that I wanted this to use for my shower after but she would not budge, I have never come across a 4star hotel who wouldn’t give me a towel! So I requested a clean towel to be sent to my room, this never showed up! The breakfast was advertised as 2 people for £18, when checking out we got charged £18 each and told we should have showed a voucher – no one told us this at any point within our stay but the lady was just rude and pretty much said it wasn’t her problem. I did pay and checked out but then went to double check the sign – no mention of vouchers on here so we went back to speak to the manager – he refunded both breakfasts. Even little things like asking for a spoon to eat our cereals with never showed up.

Overall the hotel itself is wonderful but the staff let this place down which is such a shame as they have a great place there!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2009

we stayed here over the easter weekend, i was a little wary after the rotton exerience id had in birmingham last month. however, i need not have worried.
from the moment westepped into the hotel we were made to feel welcome and it was genuine and not forced like so many.
we had a great suire with smashing views over the albert dock.
the rooms were brilliant, the staff were a credit to the hotel industry and the food and service was second to none.
im quite picky, but im well beaten on this one.
book in advance for the best deals and you wont go far wrong here.
its only a 3 min walk to the DLR station and 25 min run to central london.
brilliant pool to but beware of " brats" during school holidays.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dolphinboy1
Reviewed April 25, 2009

After being a member of Quad Club for a number of years, they decided to change the terms of my aggreement without notifying me. My discount was taken away without reason, or even telling me. Absolutley appaled with the customer services. Was told that the manager would call me to discuss my membership - to this day I still await a phone call. DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL OR GYM!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I joined their so called service called the quad club so I would get extra benefits while I was staying at this particular hotel. While staying there all IV had is bad service and the level of communication is abysmal. From them! The monthly subscription which I pay is not worth nothing as all I get with it is to use their gym which you cannot swing a cat inn and the use of their swimming pool which is so dirty you wouldn’t wash a tramp in it!!

They also had the cheek to withdraw my discount benefit and when I complained to the bar manager he was so disinterested could only manage to stump up ‘sorry that’s the company policy’ over and over again!! I am absolutely appalled with them and would never stay at this hotel again as it is over priced and the staffs are useless!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank DannyGarwood
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We booked our stay through lastminute.com. £60 a night seemed good value but they also have offers for around this price on their website, the cost if you turn up on the day appears to be about four time this.

The man initially gave us a twin room with two single beds and we wanted a double. I had read on their website that twin rooms have two double beds so I didn't think to phone ahead and state a preference (I must have read the wrong section). The lad on reception was very nice, he said they didn't have any double rooms only the executive suite and gave us that instead for no extra cost. Needless to say we were very happy as this was meant to cost about four hundred pounds.

The only problem was that there was construction work on the tube line so it wasn't as easy as it could have been to get to the hotel. We walked from Canning town and it was really dark and a bit scary.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple