“Scarey night”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Scarey night”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

After having a pleasant meal and drinks we witnessed chairs and glasses being launched into the bar area and staff - how nobody got injured is unbelievable - police arrived - glass and debris everywhere - the bar was trashed - something you would not expect from a local hotel - will not go in there again

• Stayed February 2013
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sparing time to review about the hotel. I would to firstly apologise to you for the inconvenience and the unpleasant experience you witnessed in the bar. This was caused due to an unacceptable behaviour from a customer who was refused to be served any further drinks. Please remain assured that it was reported to the authorities and subsequent action is being taken. I am grateful for your concern and I can assure you that we see security of both our guests and staff as of paramount importance and an incident such as this will not go unreported.
Once again thank you for visiting us and I hope this one off incident doesn't deter your decision of returning to the hotel again.
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I were here for a business trip attending a course here. Lovely helpful staff, Breakfast very good. Had to swap rooms as the first one smelt awful and had a huge rip in the carpet but called reception and the lovely receptionist moved us straight away to the top floor into a beautiful room with a nice view. Room nice and clean, rubbish hairdryer so would recommend bringing your own. Ok... so the HUGE thing that puts me off staying here again is that there is NO free internet, You get a consecutive 2 hours but then you have to pay £15.99 for 24 hours use... yes £15.99. In this day and age I find this absolutely unacceptable. So hotel... if you wanted a higher rating and customers to come back then please get free wifi sorted for the rooms, Gym is ok... but not great. Swimming pool nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to moving rooms. I hope the new room was comfortable. I will pass on your comments about hotel internet service to the relevant department. In the mean time I would like you to know that we have two hours free wifi per day available to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best Regards

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We checked into Crowne Plaza for a Saturday night; we parked up early and on the off chance tried to check in - it was 8.45am so we weren't expecting anything to be ready. We received a lovely welcome to the hotel by the check in desk and they promptly looked at the system and checked us in - what a great start!
It's a good location for getting in and out of the capitals, we just took the DLR into Tower Hill - I would just warn anyone relying on public transport to check the TFL website. They often do engineering work on a weekend which means the DLR will be disrupted.
All the hotel staff we met were helpful and courteous. The room was lovely - the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, which made getting up the next morning quite difficult!
We were given a £10 voucher for breakfast which we thought was great value for a hotel like this and especially for the selection and as much as you wanted to eat.
Will definitely look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your lovely feedback. I am very happy to hear that you had a lovely time here. Also good to know that you found the bed comfortable and had a good night's sleep. I have also noted your mention about breakfast and you found it good value. Once again i will share it with the kitchen team. It was great to have you here and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The staff are very good! Good reception/bar service, very kind and friendly.
All useful travel infomation is given due to the close of tube on the day, which I found very helpful.

There are also a pool, sauna and steam room in the hotel, something nice extra.
Breakfast is alright, would like a bit more selection compare to other hotels.

All in all, it was a nice and easy stay with them, will go again if travel nearby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to know that you found the hotel good and to your liking. It's also great to know that you saw the service friendly and helpful. I have also noted your comments about breakfast. I will share this with the restaurant manager and the Execitve Chef. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I chose this hotel specifically for the swimming pool. I had my other staff stay for a little bit less at the Novotel down the road right next to the ExCel where we were working. I travel 3 weeks out of four somewhere in the world. I swim every day of the year and thus a decent pool is high on my list. If they had managed to heat this pool it would have been great. I had four days of 50 minute swims in cool water in what should have been, as advertised, a heated pool. The signs about the problem were getting tattered and every day the staff seemed to have another lame story. No sense or urgency was shown in dealing with the issue. They seemed to not care about the problem enough to get it fixed. My bet is the problem still exists today!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear reviewer

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your experience being less than satisfactory due to our swimming pool being out of service for a few days. I can assure you that we have recorded your comments and will most certainly share it with our suppliers who I believe took quite a few days to resolve the heating issue. I am grateful that you have taken time out to write about this as i see this as a constructive effort so we can improve and deliver a seamless guest journey. Saying that I also appreciate that you chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza Docklands and I hope this experience doesnt deter you from staying here again for an improved experience.

Best Regards
London
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for drinks in the bar area. Considering the views most of the furniture is arranged so you feel you are in an airport lounge. It's so cold you have to wear thick jumper or a coat. I sat most of the evening with my coat on as it was minus 2 outdoors and probably colder inside as they insist on having the air con full blast. There is no heating - gone are the calor gas heaters which were very archaic and unattractive and did heat up a small square if you happened to be lucky to sit near it.

Bar staff fairly friendly and much speedier in their delivery. No atmosphere and just a very chilly experience. Not the place to go if dressing to impress as goosebumps not an attractive sight in your posh frock.

When will they get with the programme. New decor slightly better but not much. Poor effort sadly.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortbale evening in our bar due to it being very cold. Please remain assured that I will relay your comments to all the relevant teams including our chief engineer and the bar manager. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again for an improved experience.

Kindest regards
Guest Services manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands for two nights over the valentines weekend. We had previously stayed at the hotel in the summer of 2009 and decided it was an ideal hotel to revisit. The introduction of the cable cars to and from the O2 has greatly improved the amenities available in the area of the hotel, with plenty of shops available. The hotel is situated ideally for transport links to the centre of london, and it is thought that many would use this hotel for its closeness to the O2 itself.

Our stay at the hotel was very pleasant, however i have a few suggestions that would have made the stay perfect. i would suggest that the hotel invests in new duvets for the rooms. Although the room we stayed in was a standard basic room, the duvet was lumpy and not what i would class as the standard a 4 star hotel would use. We also noted that the windows do not keep out much noise. This was not a problem previously as the docklands were largely quiet, however now that the area is used more widely for access to the o2 it is suggested that this be looked into.

On the plus side, breakfast was perfect, with plenty of choice, although would not have wanted to pay more than the half price £10 we managed to get it for, £18 seems a bit steep for breakfast. Although there was a short wait at check in, the staff were very pleasant and informative. The only suggestion i have is that there is better explanation to customers at the beginning of their stay of when their cad is actually being charged and why.It can be confusing and worrying for customers to have to use their card at both the beginning and the end of the stay.

It was also noted that since 2009 the room service menu seems to have been greatly reduced. This was slightly disappointing for us as we were looking forward to having a pizza in our room as we had done previously. i appreciate it was 4 years ago and there are reasons for the changes but would like to see a greater range of room service available to encourage people to use hotel facilities rather than go elsewhere.

We would stay at this hotel again for its location and convenience in travelling to various sites in London, however hope that some of my comments are acted upon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms Hughes
I am grateful for your thorough and a very constructive feedback. I have taken notes of your suggestions and will be sharing it with the relevant teams and their heads. I am glad that you chose to return to us even though after a while since you have last been. We value your feedback and we hope to bring up the points that you have mentioned. It was pleasing to read that you liked our breakfast. I have also taken notes about the front desk team communication with guests and also about room service menu. Once again I will cascade it amongst the departments. Thank you again for you feeback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.