“How can it take a week to fix the pool heater?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Crowne Plaza London - Docklands
Ranked #312 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“How can it take a week to fix the pool heater?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I chose this hotel specifically for the swimming pool. I had my other staff stay for a little bit less at the Novotel down the road right next to the ExCel where we were working. I travel 3 weeks out of four somewhere in the world. I swim every day of the year and thus a decent pool is high on my list. If they had managed to heat this pool it would have been great. I had four days of 50 minute swims in cool water in what should have been, as advertised, a heated pool. The signs about the problem were getting tattered and every day the staff seemed to have another lame story. No sense or urgency was shown in dealing with the issue. They seemed to not care about the problem enough to get it fixed. My bet is the problem still exists today!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear reviewer

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear about your experience being less than satisfactory due to our swimming pool being out of service for a few days. I can assure you that we have recorded your comments and will most certainly share it with our suppliers who I believe took quite a few days to resolve the heating issue. I am grateful that you have taken time out to write about this as i see this as a constructive effort so we can improve and deliver a seamless guest journey. Saying that I also appreciate that you chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza Docklands and I hope this experience doesnt deter you from staying here again for an improved experience.

Best Regards
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for drinks in the bar area. Considering the views most of the furniture is arranged so you feel you are in an airport lounge. It's so cold you have to wear thick jumper or a coat. I sat most of the evening with my coat on as it was minus 2 outdoors and probably colder inside as they insist on having the air con full blast. There is no heating - gone are the calor gas heaters which were very archaic and unattractive and did heat up a small square if you happened to be lucky to sit near it.

Bar staff fairly friendly and much speedier in their delivery. No atmosphere and just a very chilly experience. Not the place to go if dressing to impress as goosebumps not an attractive sight in your posh frock.

When will they get with the programme. New decor slightly better but not much. Poor effort sadly.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortbale evening in our bar due to it being very cold. Please remain assured that I will relay your comments to all the relevant teams including our chief engineer and the bar manager. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again for an improved experience.

Kindest regards
Guest Services manager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza London Docklands for two nights over the valentines weekend. We had previously stayed at the hotel in the summer of 2009 and decided it was an ideal hotel to revisit. The introduction of the cable cars to and from the O2 has greatly improved the amenities available in the area of the hotel, with plenty of shops available. The hotel is situated ideally for transport links to the centre of london, and it is thought that many would use this hotel for its closeness to the O2 itself.

Our stay at the hotel was very pleasant, however i have a few suggestions that would have made the stay perfect. i would suggest that the hotel invests in new duvets for the rooms. Although the room we stayed in was a standard basic room, the duvet was lumpy and not what i would class as the standard a 4 star hotel would use. We also noted that the windows do not keep out much noise. This was not a problem previously as the docklands were largely quiet, however now that the area is used more widely for access to the o2 it is suggested that this be looked into.

On the plus side, breakfast was perfect, with plenty of choice, although would not have wanted to pay more than the half price £10 we managed to get it for, £18 seems a bit steep for breakfast. Although there was a short wait at check in, the staff were very pleasant and informative. The only suggestion i have is that there is better explanation to customers at the beginning of their stay of when their cad is actually being charged and why.It can be confusing and worrying for customers to have to use their card at both the beginning and the end of the stay.

It was also noted that since 2009 the room service menu seems to have been greatly reduced. This was slightly disappointing for us as we were looking forward to having a pizza in our room as we had done previously. i appreciate it was 4 years ago and there are reasons for the changes but would like to see a greater range of room service available to encourage people to use hotel facilities rather than go elsewhere.

We would stay at this hotel again for its location and convenience in travelling to various sites in London, however hope that some of my comments are acted upon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms Hughes
I am grateful for your thorough and a very constructive feedback. I have taken notes of your suggestions and will be sharing it with the relevant teams and their heads. I am glad that you chose to return to us even though after a while since you have last been. We value your feedback and we hope to bring up the points that you have mentioned. It was pleasing to read that you liked our breakfast. I have also taken notes about the front desk team communication with guests and also about room service menu. Once again I will cascade it amongst the departments. Thank you again for you feeback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Guest Services Manager
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our stay was a short one, but we has simply nothing to complain about...good breakfast, quite and clean rooms and adequatly refreshed...the only thing is that maybe you expect a bit more for what you pay...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DGMLondonDocklands, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you had a good stay and you found the room quiet and comfortable and that the breakfast was good and refreshing.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

easy to find of the DLR only a couple of minutes walk...staff at check in were very nice and helpful. (marni i think her name was) we were celerbrating our 19th wedding anervsary and the hotel gave us a free room upgrade and a room with a view (6040) of the docklands which was lovley. the room was clean, good size and peacfull the only niosewas from other guest was when walking pass your door to the lift. cable cars were a 2 min walk. jet skiing on the docks nice walks and easy transport links into the city..pool was nice didnt use the gym, steam room was good although a couple of broken tiles could do with being fixed. pool depth 1.2 good for kids..very friendly hotel...tesco express near buy which came in handy. free water in the mini bar was great. great location for o2

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cassie p
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you decided to spend your special occasion here with us. I am also happy that you found the service here friendly and also that the room was comfortable and with nice views. I will pass your comments to the team members and in particular to my colleague who checked you in.
We look forward to welcoming you again for your next anniversary.
Kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Upon arrival we were checked in by Mohamed. I cannot say when u last experienced such excellent customer service he was extremely friendly and courteous. He is a credit to the hotel. Our room was amazing, big modern and clean. The maids were very friendly too. Myself and my husband will certainly be returning to this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We stayed in a superior room. Thanks to all the staff at the hotel for making our stay so pleasant. Mr and mrs Anderson

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DGMLondonDocklands, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs Anderson,

Thank you for your kind words. We are here to make stays special. I am glad on this occasion you had a good time in the hotel. Rest assured I will pass your comments to all staff including front desk team and housekeeping. Glad you liked it. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards
M Masihuddin- Guest Services Manager
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel is generally speaking ok - however the room was dirty, not going to go into too much detail but lets says it wasn't the odd dirty mark here and there.

Complained to the general manager and the hotel has since gone out of its way to make up for this. They refund 1 night of the 2 and have offered a complimentary upgrade for our next stay.

Havign stayed at CP around the globe this was the most disappointing CP have ever stayed at. I would probably give it 1 more chance purely based on the staff reaction to our issues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mr Nuttall

Thank you for your review. I regret that your room wasnt checked properly prior to your check in. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused. I hope you are happy with the resolution that my colleague has written to you about.
Finally I sincerely hope that this experience doesn't deter you from choosing the hotel again as we look forward to welcoming you again for a much more pleasant experience.
Kindest regards