“A very poor experiance”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A very poor experiance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is a bit of joke to call this hotel a 4 star hotel. I would have expected this establishment to have a decent restaurant, unfortunately that is not the case, with a very limited menu and staff who seem to have no idea what is going on and what table has ordered what food it is a recipe for disaster and that is exactly what we got, overcooked steak and the vegetables that we ordered never even appearing on the table. The staff were polite though.
The room was clean even though the supposed complimentry water did not appear. The very close view of the apartment block next door meant that the curtains remained closed.
The reception staff whilst pleasant did not exactly inspire me when they couls not find my reservation and then twice could not get my home address correct, and on checkout failed to give me a pass to get out of the carpark.
All in all a very poor experiance and one that I will not be repeating any time soon.

Room Tip: Go to the Ramada down the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DGMLondonDocklands, Assistant Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Docklands, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to write in and give us your honest feedback. I am very disapointed to hear some of your experiences and I apologise for the inconveniences caused.

All your concerns have been noted and they will be discussed with the senior management.

I would like to once more thank you for giving us your valuable feedback.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

As with any of these chains the review generally is based on what you paid for the room and whether it was value for money so hence my goods marks. The hotel was very clean, we got an upgrade on the room so had plenty of space and the swimming pool was a massive plus for the kids on a rainy next day. Given we were here during the games it was a wonderful atmosphere and those working at the hotel joined in with the spirit. Standard of the breakfast was OK but with the kids eating for free we ate late, stocked up and saved ourselves the price of a lunch. Overall a lovely stay and excellent, vibrant area of London to stay. Would definitely return if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. It sounds as though you made the most of the facilities and managed to use most of them to your advantage. Next time perhaps you can try our treatments to help with relaxation.

Your positive comments will be mentioned to the team and thank you one more time for taking the time to write to us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is perfect for people having business meetings around Excel, canary wharf or you can enjoy London’s first cable car with Emirates Airline connecting you to Entertainment Avenue at the O2. We were very lucky to get a good deal on a double room from secret hotels on lastminute,com for 62 pounds. The room as spacious, immaculate and well decorated. and comfortable The en-suite bathroom.shower was spacious too. They had a mini bar in the fridge and they provided, tea, coffee facilities as well as ironing board, iron and blow dryer. We also managed to get free bathrobes which we requested for whilst there. The restaurant and wine bar had a quite a number of people but in general the staff were very nice and polite. They have free WiFi in the hotel and a good selection of channels in the rooms. My only let down was on that day they had a buffet menu in the restaurant and therefore we went out to a restaurant nearby, secondly the chambermaid walked in to the room without knocking and a member of staff also tried to get in the morning while we were still sleeping to check what we had used in the mini bar which we advised him we were still sleeping and he asked if he could still come in and check and we advised to come back later which he finally accepted. All in all for 62 pounds, It was brilliant.

Room Tip: Perfect if you are visiting Excel or the docklands are as well as using the Cable car to the 02.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lin w
Dear Reviewer,

It is with pleasure that we receive your review. I am very pleased that you had a lovely stay in general and that you have such good memories.

I have noted the concerns you brought to our attention in terms of gaining access to the room and this will be discussed and addressed with the team members.

I thank you one more time for taking the time to write about your stay.

Enfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was threatened at reception by the Guest Services Manager because they had booked me a too for my 4 year old and 8 year at one end and us at another. When I complained this man proceeded to threatening me I quote 'if you assume staff are stupid here, you will have problems'
The room was. Cold
Food ordered was raw then it was cold ( room service)
A I write there is a wedding and the noise is so loud I won't be ale to sleep. I have a conference at 7am tomorrow and been in the conference for 12 hours today

Room Tip: Just don't come here....other reviews must be by their friends or members of the hotel group. Re...
3 Thank Towella
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am very apologetic for any misunderstanding that happened during your check in.

I am glad that we did later find ways to make it up to you and to keep your family together in lovely interconnecting rooms.

All other concerns have also been addressed while staying with us.

I thank you for bringing your points to our attention and wish you all the best.

Lytchett Matravers, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great room - they upgraded me to a Superior room and so I was pleased. The room was beautiful - clean and smelled really fresh.

Staff all friendly and efficient. Checking in staff were especially nice - and gave a very warm welcome - which is important to weary travellers like me.

Breakfast excellent - with good and attentive staff.

My only gripe is that I received 4 early morning calls one morning and had to take the phone off the hook.

Overall though - a good place to stay.

However, my colleague had another person walk in on her room at 12.30 at night - a double booking - it happens but the staff were very apologetic and gave her a load of freebies to say sorry.

Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review that allows us to learn of your experience. I am very happy that you had such a great esperience during your time with us.

I have made a note to the fact that you received various wake up calls. This will be addressed and all other lovely comments will be mentioned to all departments.

I would like to one more time thank you for taking the time to highlight areas of your stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stay quite regular in the Docklands Crown Plaza and always have a nice stay. Very close to the DLR and just a stop from Canning Town where you can get on the Central Line into West London. A little expensive but an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for taking the time to leave a review and also for your continuous loyalty. I am sure we can continue to make happy memories for you.

Please do come back and stay with us again soon to have the opportunity to look after you.

Wells, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

As a business traveler, who’s stayed more than a thousand nights in hotels around the world over the last twenty years, there are certain aspects of a hotel’s service that are of great importance to me. My experience at this hotel for business was a mixed bag and I have weighted my review accordingly.

At check-in, I was chastised for not checking in the prior day when I was apparently supposed to. When I explained that my booking was for guaranteed early check-in (flight landed 5am) and that I was arriving on the correct day, the check-in clerk seemed unimpressed. My assigned room contained two of the smallest beds I’ve ever slept on (as an adult). I should have demanded a king-size bed per my booking, but after a 12 hour flight I was too tired to argue my case.

The room I was assigned (presumably a 'standard') was clean but the lighting was dismal. I’m all for energy saving, but I’d like to be able to get a reasonably illuminated view of the bathroom mirror to aide shaving. I can’t imagine what they were thinking when they designed these facilities. A large magnifying mirror is installed above the sink, but it's completely useless in the dusk-like lighting conditions of the bathroom.

The room I was assigned had no travel safe; on complaining I was told not all rooms have safes. For business travelers this is not a luxury, but to the credit of the front desk, a safe was installed that day. However it looked like it was made in 1970 and there were no instructions. I suspect it was actually a broken unit, because it wouldn’t respond to any attempt to enter a pin or respond with anything other than distress beeps. I asked for help/instructions but no one ever came.

The restaurant is pretty good for a hotel of this type and they’ve obviously put the more customer-service orientated staff in there. The breakfasts were particularly good and were it not for the excellent waitress service and overall quality there, I’d be awarding 2 stars for this hotel. Fitness facilities are average, and there’s a nice indoor pool.

The hotel is located next to a Tesco Express (very handy) and it’s a fairly easy walk to the Royal Victoria DLR. From there it’s about 15 minute ride to Canada Square via Canning Town/Jubilee. Like other hotels in the area, this hotel offers a complimentary shuttle every 15 minutes at peak times. You are required to book, but unfortunately the rather surly drivers don’t check off the names, and so queue jumping is the norm. If you want to get on a shuttle on which you have booked, get to the front-door early. They take drop-off instructions at booking, but mine were always ignored, so basically they stop at HSBC and Barclays. Alternatively, a taxi ride is about GBP8 to GBP10 depending on time of day, although I never saw any taxis waiting at the hotel during the early morning.

Reception seems to have a policy of only picking up the phone after 30 to 45 seconds. This is ok when you get used to it, but it’s a bit odd as far as customer-service goes. All alarm calls were delivered on-time, although by the end of the week I had accumulated three at various times. I guess you need to specify ‘replace current alarm’ when you call.

Other points: There is no shoe-shine facility. There was no offer of a morning newspaper – but they do have the Irish Times (?) and The Independent available in reception. The elevators are not room-key card protected, which is a bit unsafe, in my opinion.

Lastly, my biggest concern was the very poor internet service. After arriving in my room, the login page displayed ‘no guest checked in’. This error message continued for several days necessitating numerous phone calls/complaints to the front desk to get one-off access keys. I would also say that even when it worked, service was quirky, with the promise of 3 simultaneous devices just not true; I could get two to work at the same time. These days, only European cities seem to think that internet should be a payable service – to me that’s like charging for running water. Although this hotel’s policy is no different from others in this location, if I’m going to pay for something like internet service, I expect it to perform according to specification.

Room Tip: • Insist on an 'executive room' with a queen or king-sized bed; • Ask for a room with a tr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon C
Dear Reviewer,

I woudl like to thank you for taking the time to give us such an extensive and well thought out feedback. You are of course in a good position to do so as you are a loyal customer.

You mention vey many points, some of which are constructive feedback and some complimentary to what we are doing right. I would like to assure you that all is being cascaded to our team members to ensure we improve our ways.

I woudl like to kindly thank you for taking the time to bring all to our attention.